Author Topic: North American P-86B, or it could be a F2J-1 -- plus an XP-86  (Read 23424 times)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: North American P-86B, or it could be a F2J-1 -- plus an XP-86
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2016, 02:04:54 PM »
Wider center wing I would not thought of.  Glad you did cuz it works. :)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2016, 05:40:38 PM »
Wider center wing I would not thought of.  Glad you did cuz it works. :)

That's with the slats & flaps extended Bill, I've glued these ones on and the outer wings will have slats & flaps too only I'm still working on the wings. I screwed up the painting of the NMF so had to sand everything off and start again.  What happens when you start to rush a build, things get put on to quickly and then they get in the way when something goes wrong.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2016, 05:41:59 PM »
The kit has been fighting me all the way, apart from all the port side (fuselage half outward to wingtip) being different to the starboard side (when it should just be a mirror-image), while drilling out the gun ports using what is moulded in as a guide, I found that again, the port side guns are not in-line with the starboard side (they're higher up the fuselage side). So I've had to fill them all in and re-drill them out.
Asymmetry is delicious, no need to change into a boring "normal" plane!

Too late Tophe, all fixed   ;)  I'll post some up to date pics tomorrow

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2016, 06:04:01 AM »
Painting is coming along  -----  s-l-o-w-l-y    ;D  I had to sand off most of the red I had done earlier and start again. The anti-glare panel in front of the canopies will probably get revised so the decals I have will fit in between it and the nose wheel bay. I'll probably have to get some more from the decal supplier as the ones I have are too short.

Pics here are to show Bill how most of the leading edge has slats and most of the trailing edge has flaps. The slats and flaps on the outer wings are just held in place with tape at the moment here, still working on the wings ---
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 06:20:06 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2016, 06:18:19 AM »
A side view pic (sorry - not very good one)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2016, 12:05:05 AM »
Wonderful! :-* (once more but this is closed to completion now it seems: the delight is thus doubled)

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2016, 01:07:58 AM »
Just about Tophe, all that's left to do is to make up some wheel bay doors and the rest is just painting and decals  ----

No more solving problems     ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 01:09:36 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2016, 12:22:16 PM »
Internal paint and decals are not necessary to my taste, but painting the canopy frames will be the final touch (for me). ;)

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2016, 02:22:19 AM »
Got my revised decals now, I had tried to explain to the CanMilAir owner how I wanted the red/white triangle band to be after sending him a photo of how the original band fits to the fuselage. 

I had made a copy of the decal sheet on basic printing paper and cut the decals out that I needed to test to see if they would work. Unfortunately, the forward fuselage of the FJ-1 is quite a bit different to the F-86, not only is it a lot deeper, the shape of it is completely different so how Bill Burns has the F-86 band just wouldn't work.

Top pic is my test piece taped to the nose, the bottom pic is of how I worked out how it needed to be and you can see the difference. I ended up drawing it in AutoCAD and then asking Bill if he could print it for me as I can't get white decal paper around here for some reason. Bill very kindly did print it for me.

The plan now is to line-up the new band rear edge with the forward vertical panel line that is just behind the taped on band in the top pic. The anti-glare panel will now come down to the top of that panel (the gun access panel). I'm also going to take the band all the way around the bottom of the fuselage, hence the two short bits that will be on the front nose bay door
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 02:26:36 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2016, 02:46:55 AM »
This will be awesome when it is done. Don't stop, keep pounding at it away Robert.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2016, 03:17:54 AM »
I've been doing little bits at a time just lately when I have time to do it, we've got family visiting for the summer and I had to get a room that I taken apart, put back together. I've been going from room to room getting the house upgraded to R20 insulation in the walls so not much model building I'm afraid.

I got some of the painting sorted out, as I had to sand most of it off 'cause I bollocked it up the first time.  Cockpit is coming along though, been testing this nice new paint brush for fine detail on it and it's coming out quite good (if I do say so myself   ;)  ) and the pilots are just about done too, just need to paint their faces/face-masks/sunglass etc.

To get the canopies to fit nicely to the fuselage, I carefully trimmed the canopy rail edge so it was the same thickness as the canopy itself. Then I glued some very thin styrene card strips to the inside edge and made them the same height as the metal edging of the canopy (the white pieces you can see through the canopy). I'll use these to glue the canopies to, but I painted up the rest of the inside of the metal edge of the canopy to cockpit grey colour
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:23:00 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2016, 03:25:03 AM »
Here's some pics of the paint scheme I've tidied up, still a work-in-progress at the moment though

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2016, 03:36:15 AM »
I'm making up some decals to add to it too, because of all the sanding and reshaping of the fuselage, I've lost some of the panel lines. I haven't mastered re-scribing yet so I've made these decals instead. There might be a few more later too as I find what needs replacing.

The rectangle one on the left is the engine cover outline, and of course the others are the air brake outlines
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 03:39:50 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2016, 06:49:20 AM »
That's just incredible, Robert and I'm glad you were able to steal time away from a busy house to post an update!

Sure looks like something they should've done even if they didn't.

Will be keeping an eye out for more awesomeness,
Brian da Basher

P.S. My scribing skills are so caveman you wouldn't know I actually use a tool and not a sharp stone.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2016, 09:08:38 AM »
Nice work :) :)
Scribing's easy if you make a template using Coke can ally, a pin vise and sharp needle. Tape it in place and just gently go around it 'till you've achieved your 'recessed panel line' detail.
Here's a pic or four to help explain,

105. CatchTemplateSml by Neil, on Flickr
106. CatchTemplateBsml by Neil, on Flickr
107. CatchTemplateCsml by Neil, on Flickr
108. CatchTopSml by Neil, on Flickr

Best thing is it's repeatable ;) Hope this helps :)
Neil 8) 8)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:07:00 PM by FAAMAN »
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"