Author Topic: North American P-86B, or it could be a F2J-1 -- plus an XP-86  (Read 23425 times)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: North American P-86B, or it could be a F2J-1 -- plus an XP-86
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2016, 12:15:39 PM »
Wonderful! The Twin-Sabre is going to be alive! :-*

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2016, 07:44:38 PM »
Don't know how I missed this thread, but This Is Of Interest To Me. What are you putting in the center wing section for payload? Is that a radar or a giant fuel tank?

It will be the radar pod, the idea is that this was a stop-gap jet night-fighter and a natural progression from the F-82, sort of like a Jet Twin Mustang.

Because I'm going with full span leading edge slats, there's no internal weapons in the wing, all the guns will be in the fuselage noses.
I'm going with four cannon (20mm) and four .5's. The cannon will be in the center wing side of the fuselages and the .5's in the outer wing sides.  The project has progressed to be an All Weather Fighter and the additional weapons I'm going with is a pair of Hughes AIM-4B's, these will be mounted just outboard of the fuselages below the wing on pylons and then there will be a large drop tank just outboard of those. I'll then have an option of attaching wing-tip tanks which I'll make so they just slip on. I've left open the option of another pair of AIM-4's under the wing center section between the pod and the fuselages.  I think I'll just put some pylons there without the missiles on them.

Any empty space in the wing will have fuel tanks and of course the extra three feet I added into the rear fuselage will be for an extra long fuselage fuel tank.  I think it will have plenty of fuel  -----   ;)  I've left off half of one side of the radar pod because that will be where I put the nose weight once I work out how much it will need.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 07:48:44 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2016, 07:28:38 PM »
Had a look last night if the second pair of AIM-4's would go under the wing center section --- aannd  --- no!    there's no room there. Have to give that a re-think --

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My webpage
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2016, 01:13:30 AM »
You could put the AIM-4s on the wing tips, or add wingtip missile/fuel pods like the F-89. Or maybe a version of the F-94 - either the rocket pods in the nose or under the wings.

Offline apophenia

• Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2016, 03:29:15 AM »
Some serious styrene editing going on there! Looking great Kit'  :)
"And loot some for the old folks, Can't loot for themselves"

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2016, 08:17:23 AM »
Thanks Guys ---

Frank3k, some good ideas there. Having another look at it though, if I move the drop tanks I want to put on it to the middle of the outer wing, or line the center of them where the flaps and ailerons join, I think I can get two AIM-4's between the tanks and the fuselages. I'll play around with it a bit before I decide.

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2016, 07:38:13 AM »
OK, two AIM-4's per outer wing is quite possible by moving the drop tank a bit further out along the wing.

Undercarriage has been sorted out, I wanted to "hand" the front wheel so the non-leg side faced outward on both sides, and I needed some better wheels for the main gear because of the extra weight I think this thing will have (if it was real that is   ;)  )

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2016, 01:16:35 PM »
the extra weight I think this thing will have (if it was real that is   ;)  )
It will be real, solid, not a dream anymore... ;)

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2016, 05:08:00 AM »
Here's the result of the fin extension I wanted to do (top pic). I used the top half off my abandoned Beechnut P-51H to do this.

Next pic is of the kit canopy on the fuselage. I had to do some filing of the bottom edge to try to get it to fit but it's still not great.

The last pic is of the Falcon canopy and as I said earlier, it does not fit the kit fuselage as it is out-of-the-box. The canopy is design to fit the Pegasus, Merlin or RarePlane kits.  I had to do quite a bit of re-work to the cockpit opening and also a slight bit of re-profiling to the fuselage nose to get it to fit

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2016, 06:56:45 AM »
Nice work  :)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2016, 11:03:41 PM »
Congratulations! When I grow adult, I plan to buy a million Twin-Sabres scale 1... ;) (with taxpayers' money, this is easy)

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2016, 02:57:59 AM »
I plan to buy a million Twin-Sabres scale 1... ;) (with taxpayers' money, this is easy)

You'll start another revolution Tophe    ;D ;D ;D

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2016, 07:34:51 AM »
bit of an update

Trimmed the FJ-1 tail-planes so they are same length as a P-51D (top pic)

Pic of a P-51D, P-51H and FJ-1 tail planes to show comparison (second pic)

Trial fit up of the 'big' drop tank I'm going with under the wings, it's a 460 USGal tank which comes in the Airfix A-26 Invader kit. (third pic)

Lastly, I dropped the model but managed to catch it as it bounced off my chair and before it hit the ground. However the loose bits went flying and while looking around for them on the floor, trod on my vac canopy. It got squashed flat and although I managed to pop it back out, there's a huge crease right across the middle of it from side to side.  Luckily I've got three others as spares. (bottom Pic)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2016, 08:17:02 AM »
A sacrifice had to be made to the modelling deities in order to see this project through to completion. 

Fortunately you do have the three (now two) spare canopies.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2016, 03:36:46 AM »
Looking good
All hail the God of Frustration!!!