Author Topic: North American P-86B, or it could be a F2J-1 -- plus an XP-86  (Read 23203 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
Re: North American P-86B, or it could be a F2J-1 -- plus an XP-86
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2017, 12:04:23 AM »
Done little bits off and on to the project, mostly gluing on what needs to be glued on and painting ----  I've since revised how the anti-glare panel will be though and tidied up more of the paint work since these photos were taken.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 12:06:29 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2017, 12:12:09 AM »
A few more pics

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2017, 12:44:30 AM »
This was well worth the wait Robert.  Can wait to see it flying over the Primrose Lake range attacking defenceless trees.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2017, 01:00:09 AM »
That looks great! I really like the red panels and the updated anti-glare panels too.

Brian da Basher

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2017, 05:03:28 AM »
Thanks guys, it's not quite up to snuff yet though, still a bit of work to get it how I want it to look. The anti-glare panel now goes back as far as where the tape that's holding the canopies on and down to the top of the gun bay access panels are. Remember when I was saying the left side of the kit is completely different to the right side earlier in the thread, well while revising the anti-glare panel I found out just how much.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:07:45 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2017, 05:46:38 AM »
That is coming along brilliantly Kitnut  8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2017, 10:48:27 PM »
Thanks mate!

Silver is one of the most difficult colours to paint, it shows up every little scratch, nick and dent so I just don't feel happy with how it looks right now. A bit of PSR is needed in places and then a couple more coats of paint, wet sanded in between of course. I hope to get the finish to look like my Avro Nottingham in the end

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2017, 02:18:29 AM »
Done little bits off and on to the project, mostly gluing on what needs to be glued on and painting ----  I've since revised how the anti-glare panel will be though and tidied up more of the paint work since these photos were taken.
:-* Congratulations for this Sabre-Zwilling marvel :-* :-*

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2017, 04:54:16 AM »
Thanks Tophe

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2017, 05:09:32 AM »
Configuration is plausible RW at the time.  Could even have been a design study.
Do like it.  :)

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2017, 06:31:09 AM »
Thanks Bill

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2017, 10:33:24 AM »
Thanks guys, it's not quite up to snuff yet though, still a bit of work to get it how I want it to look. The anti-glare panel now goes back as far as where the tape that's holding the canopies on and down to the top of the gun bay access panels are. Remember when I was saying the left side of the kit is completely different to the right side earlier in the thread, well while revising the anti-glare panel I found out just how much.

I use various methods.  I use brushed on paint, rattle-can paint, alfoil to get silver finishes.  Invariably I mix all of them and end up with different coloured/finished panels.  Sometimes it's successful, sometimes it isn't.   I understand your problems with getting it right.  I'll have to remember the sanding between coats.

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2017, 07:23:23 PM »

I use various methods.  I use brushed on paint, rattle-can paint, alfoil to get silver finishes.  Invariably I mix all of them and end up with different coloured/finished panels.  Sometimes it's successful, sometimes it isn't.   I understand your problems with getting it right.  I'll have to remember the sanding between coats.

With very fine grit paper Brian, 1600 or higher if you can find it. Think I use 2400, I'll have a look when I get back from work

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #133 on: March 04, 2017, 11:50:07 PM »
I've had a look at the sand paper I use between coats of paint, and I can't tell you what the grit is -- there's nothing written on the reverse side of it   :-X .  I had a packet of different grits which I bought years ago so the packet is long gone I'm afraid.  The closest I can relate it too is something mrs kitnut uses for her nails, one side of the block (there's four different grits) is almost smooth and the paper I have is like that

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2017, 08:04:57 AM »
Well I'm getting there, cockpit has been done and canopies glued on & painted. The revised anti-glare panels have to be adjusted ---- taped on some trial decals just printed on paper and found the black edge is now too low