Author Topic: Goonie's Sci-Fi thread  (Read 11719 times)

Offline Goonie

• When the guy does a red tank, he does a RED tank!
Re: Goonie's Sci-Fi thread
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2014, 06:37:24 AM »
It's been a while since last update of topic but I have stuck with painting the suspension of Hemmt. Normally I'm using Vallejo acrylic paints but recently I was forced to bought 2 model master acrylic paints. Initially everything goes well (Fe. cannon in last update), but after  putting down first layer of paint it starts to split up for two colours + adding another layers of paint doesn't change anything except that some ugly stains appeared :icon_sueno:
So I'll just need to remove the paint and finally buy air brush together with air compressor but, well, I just don't have mood for first part of it and don't have funds for second one at the moment...

But thanks to taiidantomcat thread 'TTomcat's Tomcats' ( http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=4386.0 ), especially to last updates I've started another project - Avro Arcturus, heavy space fighter.
In a few words I'll try to make an old school looking space fighter with cameo similar to that from 'TTomcat's Tomcats'  8)

The donor kit was 'Gloster Javelin FAW. Mk 7/FAW. Mk 9' made by 'Plastyk' but, to be honest, moulds cames from Novo or Frog and are totally worn out (I've remember that about 20 years ago when I was sticking together my first or second model, which happend to be the same Gloster Javelin kit, details on model were definitely less blurry ;) ).

In-box (model itself with resin pilot seats):

After two days and nights of scratch jutsu, ta dam ;D :

At moment being model contains tail wings from F-16 together with vertical stabilizer, two bolters from Wh40k, analog TV antenna cable connectors (converted to jets) + lots more modeling junk.

About two hours ago I've added basic colours (ultramarine + gun metal):

(paint has a much darker hue; this intriguing colour is a result of my photo skills and a bit obsolete camera)

Now I'm waiting for paint to dry and will add later a few more colours 8)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:52:31 AM by Goonie »
sci-fi - the best legal antidote for reality

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 07:04:56 AM »
So...cleaning of model and primer proved to be a perfect solution. Layer of paint is marvelous :)
Your mods are kind of refreshing change for a bit old model. I really like where this one going :) Very starcraft-ish look :) Maybe upper verticals could be little bigger but this is only my opinion. You can call it Avro Arcturus , for me it's Gloster Wraith still:)
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline Goonie

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2014, 08:03:46 AM »
So...cleaning of model and primer proved to be a perfect solution.
he, he, the two most basic things and the difference is huge ;)

Layer of paint is marvelous :)
Your mods are kind of refreshing change for a bit old model. I really like where this one going :) Very starcraft-ish look :) Maybe upper verticals could be little bigger but this is only my opinion. You can call it Avro Arcturus , for me it's Gloster Wraith still:)
Thanks for kind words :)

According to that upper verticals - well I've got some salvaged Su-27 tail wings, but that small from F-16 looks just more exotic there + side view is more intriguing.

Gloster Wraith - hmm... Who knows ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:11:27 AM by Goonie »

Offline Artoor_K

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 10:22:19 PM »
May I suggest to put it on something like launcher arm from Macross?
http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrossdyrl/vf-1a-fastpack/vf-1a-fastpack-launcharm.gif
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:24:17 PM by Artoor_K »
Sickening, weakening

Offline Goonie

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 02:26:22 AM »
May I suggest to put it on something like launcher arm from Macross?
http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrossdyrl/vf-1a-fastpack/vf-1a-fastpack-launcharm.gif

Thanks, I was thinking about some kind of launching platform, but dosen't have any particular idea in mind, so this could speed up the process when some diorama will be needed  ;)

Meanwhile some progress on cameo (vallejo grey blue + green sky):

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Global Moderator
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 08:19:10 AM »
Oh this is super cool!! I had some Sci Fi Ideas for the Meteor as well,  the mods you have done here are way better than what I had in mind though.

Looks great! Happy to have had a (very small) part in it  ;)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Goonie

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 09:28:30 AM »
Thanks very much and I can't wait to see that Meteor after mods 8) , maybe this time I'll be happy to participate a bit in your project  ;)

Happy to have had a (very small) part in it  ;)
Honestly it wasn't such a small part - that Javelin would probably still lie in box and wait for some better time if I hadn't stumbled upon your thread ;)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
    • SketchUp 3D Warehouse - My Digital Models
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 12:10:58 PM »
For some very strange reason that I can not explain, the first thing that comes to mind with your creation is a cuttlefish.  Mind you, I mean this in a good way since the cuttlefish is a creature that can change colors to help it hide from predators or from prey until it is too late.  Very imaginative model you have created and the paint scheme really makes it stand out in a crowd ;)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Goonie

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2014, 10:56:32 PM »
Well, you got the point with that cuttlefish, cameo looks somehow similar. Anyway thanks for idea for the story when the model will be ready ;)
At the moment being I have to finish 4 anti frigate rockets, make some wethering and start to scratchbuild stand for it. Some photo update should be around evening.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:25:17 AM by Goonie »

Offline Goonie

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2014, 07:25:45 AM »
Update:

Still haven't finished rockets and diorama, but at least I'll put some photos of model with stencils and a bit of weathering:

Offline buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 10:22:41 AM »
YES !!!

on so many levels.

Offline Goonie

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 09:44:21 PM »
YES !!!

on so many levels.

Meanvile I've just have finished scratchbuilding the launchpad.

Here is how the whole idea of this construction was given a birth:

^ At the beginning I've used some old, probably made in DDR, blocks and two arms from 'Robomac' + of course some old CD cake. After some time it started to resemble some sort of stationary forklift.

Then a great deal of detailing took place (by the way it has consumed a lot of spare and salvaged parts from other models):

Finally few shots with mounted fighter:

Now I'm waiting only for putty to dry up and than I'll add primer and start painting that contraption  ;)

Last but not least I've also start to scratchbuild missiles. Well I've decided not to made any fins or stabilizers because in space vacuum it doesn't have any use, instead shortly after the frontal part I've put a lot of maneuver engines. it looks strange but might have some sense:

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:49:45 PM by Goonie »

Offline Artoor_K

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2014, 12:27:07 AM »
"I spy with my little eye something begining with...HOLY SH*T!" ....this is simply marvelous  :) As Hancock says: Good job :) Wire clamps on the arms of the launcher/catapult are protruding but this is just a detail :)
Sickening, weakening

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2014, 02:24:10 AM »
Wow!!!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2014, 02:39:42 AM »
That launcher has just taken this one step beyond! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."