Author Topic: ECM, pods, ELINT and things otherwise known as ETC.  (Read 4708 times)

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
Re: ECM, pods, ELINT and things otherwise known as ETC.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 08:29:39 AM »
Sounds like we need a GPS directed drone aircraft with a bombay full of a bunch of concrete cinder blocks that would be dropped on the offending aircraft and simply bludgeon it out of the sky.   
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 09:37:25 AM »
Sounds like we need a GPS directed drone aircraft with a bombay full of a bunch of concrete cinder blocks that would be dropped on the offending aircraft and simply bludgeon it out of the sky.
Yeah, but you'd need a drone that could keep up with the aircraft you'd expect to encounter; that gets to be an expensive bird.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 02:52:50 PM »

"And they asked me where you going as I started to diverge
Said, "I've had enough of this shit, man, I'm going to the merge"
'Cause BVR is great but now it's time to have some fun
<...>
It's time to get medieval
I'm going in for guns"

:icon_music:

Mind you, this reminds me of a story from my P-3 days:  during one exercise a P-3 encountered an enemy fighter patrol.  It turned and did what all good P-3s do in such such a situation:  run like hell, close to the surface and scream for your own fighters.  Now the intrepid lead pilot of the pursuing fighters decided this was too good a target to miss and that it was going to be an easy kill.  Moreover he thought it might be nice to get some great gun/HUD camera footage of his kill...all the better to guarantee him some drinks that night in the bar.  Now a jet fighter (Hornet in this case I believe, though I may be wrong) is way faster than an Orion.  So what did he do?  Slip in behind, drop flaps, deploy air brake a bit...get it nice and slow so as to avoid overshooting.   Unfortunately for him, it was such a pity that the Orion's fighter cover came screaming in at that point and took and easy missile kill on this nice, slow, straight flying fighter trailing an Orion... ;D
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Silver Fox

• Talk to me Goose!
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 07:14:08 AM »
Exercise over the Gulf of Mexico in the "way back days"... I was with 414 (EW) Sqdn of the Canadian Air Force working against some anonymous F-15 "Ego" jocks. We were jamming hard on the comm bands, with me doing my regular role as Tech Crewman and sending out some much hated muzac over the Blue Fighter Control channels.

We would also record (digitally! GASP!) the commands sent to the Blue fighters for later replay.

During one particularly energetic mission we had an Ego Jock listening to us, and not ever hearing his fighter controller. About 6 minutes in we lined him up on a target which he got a radar lock on and then took a radar missile shot. We ceased comm jamming right after he locked on and just before he took the shot... so Blue Force heard him call his target.

I can only imagine the look on his face when his wingman was told to "Steer 180 for 50 to regenerate"... meaning he had been shot down. :)

Same guy, next night... chases a "T-33" (actually the EF-101 Voodoo jammer) through Mach 1 and up to 1.8 after being target fixated. Important safety tip... If the T-33 you are chasing exceeds Flight level 400 and Mach 1.5 it is time to re-evaluate. :)

Offline PR19_Kit

• Likes to brag about how long his...wings are.
  • Made it at last!
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 08:19:36 AM »

Hahah, shades of Gavin Lyall's 'Shooting Script' again.  :) ;)
Regards
Kit

--------------------------
Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings

Offline Nexus1171

• SC
  • I go by many names...you may know one...
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 09:35:44 AM »
The EF-18G uses active cancellation technology right?