Author Topic: Black Dog  (Read 3741 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Black Dog
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 02:10:49 AM »
Another very interesting release coming - looking forward to this:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2017, 03:25:58 AM »
Just a small technical question; can a human actually hold and fire a minigun ?

Offline KiwiZac

• Who said Kiwis can't fly...though this one can organise for a kit of the Fletcher FU24 to be produced!
  • The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2017, 04:15:08 AM »
I think the seminal 1987 motion picture "Predator" has answered that question adequately.

That is a very nice-looking kit!
"He's more real-world now than whif..."

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2017, 05:31:40 AM »
I think the seminal 1987 motion picture "Predator" has answered that question adequately.

That is a very nice-looking kit!

But only if you don't have time to bleed!  8)

Hawkins: You're hit! You're bleedin', man!
Sgt. Blain: I ain't got time to bleed...
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 07:34:44 AM »
To find an answer myself I went looking on YouTube. There's one of a nice looking blonde firing one    :icon_surprised:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arMJQDkNjuo

OK so is this real  ???

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
To find an answer myself I went looking on YouTube. There's one of a nice looking blonde firing one    :icon_surprised:

OK so is this real  ???

Looks like one of the rare XM214  5.56x45mm miniguns to me.  What you don't see is the batteries required to spin the barrels (which Arnie hid by having the cable run up inside his trouser leg IIRC in Predator II), nor do you see how many rounds there are in the ammunition box on the ground.  The Miniguns were prodigious users of ammunition (2-6,000 RPM).   

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 05:34:51 PM »

OK so is this real  ???

Looks like one of the rare XM214  5.56x45mm miniguns to me.  What you don't see is the batteries required to spin the barrels (which Arnie hid by having the cable run up inside his trouser leg IIRC in Predator II), nor do you see how many rounds there are in the ammunition box on the ground.  The Miniguns were prodigious users of ammunition (2-6,000 RPM).

I was just wondering if a person could hold and fire the gun Brian, I realize there's all the other stuff that would need to go along with it. It just seemed to me there would be a tremendous amount of 'kick-back' when fired that a person couldn't counter it, other videos of a slightly bigger one being fired on a stand would support that thought, people had a hard job just stopping the thing from moving side to side.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 07:29:07 PM »

OK so is this real  ???

I was just wondering if a person could hold and fire the gun Brian, I realize there's all the other stuff that would need to go along with it. It just seemed to me there would be a tremendous amount of 'kick-back' when fired that a person couldn't counter it, other videos of a slightly bigger one being fired on a stand would support that thought, people had a hard job just stopping the thing from moving side to side.

I think it can be done, as long as you don't try long bursts or get a "runaway gun" situation.   In the movies (Predator/Terminator) they have a strong man carrying the gun and firing it.   That lady is a little on the light side to use it properly IMHO.   As long as they keep it pointed down range, it should be safe enough.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 04:34:00 AM »
Came across this on Armorama:

Just the thing to give your lighter vehicles or foot-mobile troops a little more punch.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:26:34 AM by LemonJello »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2017, 04:50:04 AM »
Very interesting.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
    • SketchUp 3D Warehouse - My Digital Models
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2017, 05:56:33 AM »
Aboot time the Javelin and Carl Gustav were available! 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2017, 04:32:50 PM »
Came across this on Armorama:

Just the thing to give your lighter vehicles or foot-mobile troops a little more punch.

YES! ;D

Now I can finish-finish this;

by chucking a Javelin next to the commander. :smiley:

But I'll probably buy at least 4 or 5 sets for fun! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 04:03:48 AM »
Some new 1/72 aviation bits. Not yet posted on their website.

Black Dog has announced some 1/72 scale accessories in resin. The first is a detail set for the Chinook helicopter with a some details for the nose and the ability to show off the drive shaft on the roof. The second is a set of winter skis for the Chinook. Also included in the release are two version of the World War 2 atom bombs.

A72001 CH-47 Chinook accessories set for Italeri
A72002 CH-47 Chinook ski accessories set for Italeri
A72003 Atom bomb Little Boy
A72004 Atom bomb Fat Man

More pictures at Aeroscale.
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2017, 04:10:20 PM »
Ooh, those "snow shoes" do look interesting.  8)
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 08:02:49 AM »
Something new that I may just have to get: