Author Topic: Amphibious Ships, Vessels, and Landing Craft  (Read 4331 times)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Amphibious Ships, Vessels, and Landing Craft
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 03:59:29 AM »
Being active reader of anything military at the time.  Saw that SK-10 picture in some publication(s) or another.
Thanks for posting Jon.  A flashback time capsule moment seeing it.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 04:03:40 AM »
Remember folks there is also a stand alone thread for ACVs of all sorts:
http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=2058.0
 :icon_fsm:

I have a bunch more stuff scanned that I'll be adding at some point, including drawings for that LSES.  ;)

"Evil our grandsires were, our fathers worse;
And we, till now unmatched in ill,
Must leave successors more corrupted still."
Horace, 65BC - 8BC. Marsh translation.

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 05:30:43 AM »
If the latter please chose a different description......

Done.

...... Value Engineering is a quite legitimate, useful process and should not be confusingly misrepresented as a derogatory term.

I stand corrected about the term's official status, but just to be clear, I didn't knowingly screw with language, nor did I really use that term in a derogatory way (while the differences between planned and actual configuration certainly have cost considerations involved, at this point we wouldn't know how useful a Mk.75 on a replenishment ship would have been beyond ending up as a bigger gun to shoot pirates with anyway; the Sea Chaparral might be outdated, but there is still logic behind its inclusion).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 05:36:43 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 02:52:38 AM »
I could see a San Antonio being upgraded like this, medium calibre gun or even an AGS, perhaps a VLS and improved sensors, maybe a CEAFAR Mast.

Addendum to that model picture of the ROCN's planned LPD:

Armaments suggested by the model include one Mk.75 (with locally-refitted low-observable cupola) forward, two 16-round above-deck fixed launchers (again, in low-observable housings) amidship for TC-2 point-defense missiles, two Phalanx CIWS, two small-calibre autocannons, and several .50 cal. or 7.62mm machineguns.

One of the integrated masts is believed to be meant to accommodate a 3D search radar
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:51:46 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline dy031101

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 10:50:36 AM »
...... two 16-round above-deck fixed launchers (again, in low-observable housings) amidship for TC-2 point-defense missiles......

Offline dy031101

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2016, 08:48:08 AM »
That LPD looks a lot like the US San Antonio class; I wonder if the hanger doors can accommodate folded V-22's?

Totally neglected the illustration:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 08:58:30 AM by dy031101 »

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 06:56:25 AM »
Late 60s Bell concept, from JANE'S Surface Skimmer Systems 1967-68.

Not too far off form the LCAC's the USN is now looking to replace and retire.

3-view of the SK-10 that I thought I had posted, turns out I hadn't.  :-\

Its sort of typically ironic (like that of the Ling-Temco-Vought (LTV) XC-142 and the V-22 Osprey), that the USN could have such an effective LCAC in the Bell SK-10 decades before it finally developed and deployed the Aerojet General [Textron Marine and Land Systems] LCAC (first deployed in 1987)  :(

M.A.D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 06:57:57 AM by M.A.D »

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2017, 07:28:12 AM »
Uh, the production LCAC is a development of the Bell JEFF-B design, which used design elements from the SK-10. 
The Aerojet JEFF-A lost the competition. Textron Marine (Textron Marine & Land Systems since 1994, after merger
with Cadillac Gage) is a sub-division of Textron just like Bell Helicopter.
"Evil our grandsires were, our fathers worse;
And we, till now unmatched in ill,
Must leave successors more corrupted still."
Horace, 65BC - 8BC. Marsh translation.

Offline M.A.D

• Also likes a bit of arse...
  • Wrote a great story about a Christmas Air Battle
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2017, 03:23:47 PM »
Uh, the production LCAC is a development of the Bell JEFF-B design, which used design elements from the SK-10. 
The Aerojet JEFF-A lost the competition. Textron Marine (Textron Marine & Land Systems since 1994, after merger
with Cadillac Gage) is a sub-division of Textron just like Bell Helicopter.
Well that's embarrassing JCF, to think all these years I had it arse about  :-[

M.A.D