Author Topic: Battleship Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 16282 times)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: Battleship Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2014, 10:33:01 AM »
Norman Polmar's book on US Battleship design included a profile drawing of a proposed "assault ship" conversion of the Iowa-class with the aft turret and catapult replaced by a hangar deck, flight deck, et al. for helicopter assault.  I'm thinking two of those and two FACES II conversions would make a formidable task force for landing over hostile beaches.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2014, 12:54:24 AM »
Courageous and Glorious, due to their dubious combat power, are classed as Heavy Cruisers under the Washington Treaty and transfered to the RAN in 1922.  The ships are renamed Australia and Canberra and serve in WWII following complete Renown style reconstructions in the late 30s.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2016, 05:51:09 AM »
Something different:  The 40mm anti-aircraft gun emplacements of the USS New Jersey had the guns removed, were sealed, and became swimming pools for the ship’s reactivation during the Vietnam War. These are the only known swimming pools installed on an active US Navy ship. The pools were removed when the Iowa-class battleship was again activated in the 1980’s.

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline mrvr6

• Accidentally created a Tejas….
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2016, 05:58:02 AM »
lol

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2016, 08:11:10 PM »
Just imagine if a fire mission came in and someone was asleep floating in the pool.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2016, 02:51:24 AM »
Kind of reminds me of this South Park episode:

https://youtu.be/-HxK8yRYna8

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2016, 05:35:22 PM »
How about post Suez the decision was made to convert the King George V Class battleships into commando assault ships instead of converting Albion and Bulwark, which were instead, along with Centaur, fully modernised as per Hermes.

Thinking surpressing Y turret or even moving it to B position to replace the twin (if it can be done) and building a raised flight deck with hanger and troop accommodation beneath.  Former aircraft hangers used as accommodation briefing rooms etc. bost deck / catapult space converted for amphibious craft.  Maybe Tartar in place of some or all of the 5.25" mounts.

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2018, 09:16:07 PM »
I found first profile in the internet marked as HMS Barham. I think that its bow is fictional. Am I right? Anyway I like mentioned bow and grafted it in HMS Warspite and HMS Royal Sovereign.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2018, 01:58:41 AM »
What if more ships went for the Nelson class "all forward" style main armament arrangement?

Imagine a Iowa or Yamato class in this arrangement.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2018, 09:28:56 PM »
I have a Nelson that is going to end up as a two turret forward battlecruiser

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2018, 01:07:15 AM »
US FlyingBattleship 1st iteration

USS Massachusetts 1/720 + P-38 1/72

Offline ysi_maniac

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2018, 11:06:49 AM »
US FlyingBattleship 2nd iteration. The definitive WEAPON

USS Massachusetts 1/720 + P-38 1/72 + M10 1/72 (tracked modules must be considered as bogies)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:12:56 AM by ysi_maniac »

Offline SebastianP

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2018, 06:06:42 AM »
You may have seen pictures of the US Navy's heavy cruisers in the 1950s rocking 3-inch autoloaders in place of the Bofors mounts they were originally designed with. What's kind of less commonly known is that plans were made to perform the same upgrades on *all* surviving US warships during the 1950s, even the ones that were in mothballs with little chance of activation.

In other words, there exist plans somewhere (I've seen a few of them online, but damn if I can find them again now) showing the intended installations for 3-inch twin mounts on the Iowa-class, South Dakota-class, and North Carolina-class; as well as the Alaska-class, Cleveland-class, Fargo-class, Atlanta/Oakland/Juneau-class, and all the modern destroyers.

Of the larger ships, aside from the heavy cruisers only a single Cleveland (CL-83 USS Manchester) and the Juneau-class were actually upgraded. It would be rather lovely to see some of the others in plastic though.

Oh, and the reverse is also true - if the war had continued another year and the Des Moines and Worchester class cruisers had been completed to their original designs, they'd have had Bofors guns as well, with a quad mount in place of each twin 3-inch mount. As far as I know, neither of these ships exist in plastic (only resin...) but that too would be an awesome thing to see realized. :)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2018, 06:03:13 AM »
What if Ballistic Missile subs never got a look in (for what ever reason).  Could we possibly have seen battleships evolve into Ballistic Missile Ships?

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
    • SketchUp 3D Warehouse - My Digital Models
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2018, 10:36:09 AM »
The USS Long Beach was designed to carry the Polaris missile amidships (in the vicinity of the port and starboard 5.0"/L38 turrets) but that was never implemented.  There was also an Italian Cruiser that was planned to carry the same Polaris armament.  So depending on where you put them, the Battleship could certainly accommodate a half dozen at the very least. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg