Author Topic: Stuart tank  (Read 6372 times)

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
Re: Stuart tank
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2014, 12:47:33 PM »
That's the Verlindin HVMS turret though right? It looks better than the X1A turret at any rate. 

PS that was a quick search btw. I knew I had the pic somewhere but searching the drive for it was a mare lol

Brent

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2014, 09:58:14 PM »
It looked like it from the builder's comments. He says he built it in '88 using the VL turret.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Queeg

• Master armour builder
  • Lost but now foun .... nope - still lost!
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2014, 04:41:07 AM »
Blackdog do a HVMS in 1/72nd so I might have to chase one up ...........

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2014, 04:52:43 AM »
screen-grabs from a 45-minute youtube video on Croatian 1991 improvised armour ....

Note the improvised tank named "Sherman" - other photos weren't clear & I thought it must be built on a Russian catapillar-tractor but it appears to be based on a M4-18t "High-Speed" tractor chassis.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:54:44 AM by raafif »

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2018, 05:41:47 AM »
I've always like this as a Stuart upgrade, thinking about using this idea for my 20mm '46 Americans. Sorry can't credit the modeller, it's just outa my web pic stash .....

The 60mm HVMS turret has the same turret ring diametre as that of the AML-90 turret.  I have an awful sense of scale, but that makes the idea of a turret swap for the X1A seem somewhat hopeful to me.

Does anyone know the length of a complete 60mm APFSDS round?  Just to help me generating a mental picture on the possible resulting ammo capacity......

Pretty straightforward, actually. Brazilian X1A with 60mm HVMS instead of the 90mm Cockerill.
That's the Verlindin HVMS turret though right? It looks better than the X1A turret at any rate.

I don't have the number on the weight of the turret used by the X1A, but the heavier gun and seemingly more-sophisticated fire control leads me to believe that the complete HVMS turret might be heavier than the X1A turret.  I love the idea but wonder if the added weight is still within the margin that the tank's suspension can handle......
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 05:45:45 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2018, 05:56:06 AM »
Does anyone know the length of a complete 60mm APFSDS round?  Just to help me generating a mental picture on the possible resulting ammo capacity......

I believe this is the same ammunition (the Italians were originally involved with the Israeli 60mm APFSDS round as well):

So complete cartridge is 620mm.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 05:58:37 AM by GTX_Admin »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2018, 06:28:07 AM »
So complete cartridge is 620mm.

Thanks.  That as a complete round seems both shorter and lighter than the 90mm DEFA F1 gun's HEAT round (at least as far as the numbers I got off Google are concerned: 690mm and 8.4kg).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 06:31:20 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?