Author Topic: Curtiss Canada Kingbird (from the new Airfix P-40)  (Read 4105 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Curtiss Canada Kingbird (from the new Airfix P-40)
« on: June 07, 2013, 05:17:43 PM »
Curtiss opened a Canadian subsidiary based in Hamilton, Ontario in 1928. In 1936 while setting up production for the Hawk 75, it was discovered that replacing the Twin Wasp engine with a Vauxhall Victoria V-12 inline led to improved performance. A proposal was made to the RCAF. Unfortunately, the Air Marshall vetoed the nice, pointy prop spinner, stating "This expensive item is needless, ornamental frippery! Good God don't they know there's a Depression on?!"

So the new aircraft was given a Hamilton Non-Standard prop and the RCAF saved a whopping $4.79 per plane. Thus the Curtiss Canada Kingbird was born.

The new fighter was just what the RCAF needed. It outclassed anything else then in service in North America. For a couple of years, RCAF fighter squadrons based near the U.S. would play tag with their American counterparts across the border. The Yanks could never catch them.

The Curtiss Canada's Kingbird would be put to the test in May, 1938. It all started when ground observers in Dead Horse, B.C. near Yukon spotted an unusual intruder.

The strange aircraft landed and a man jumped out and ran inside Tim Horton's. By the time the observers got near, the man had already got back inside the aircraft loaded with coffee and muffins and it drifted away. A call was put in to 412 1/3 Sqn. based in nearby Skunk Pass. A flight of Kingbirds was scrambled to intercept.

Unfortunately, they never caught up with the aerial invader. The strange craft made it back to its base.

This would spell doom for the Kingbird which was replaced by license-built Hurricanes and relegated to advanced training duties and is completely forgotten today.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 05:19:34 PM by Brian da Basher »

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
Re: Curtiss Canada Kingbird (from the new Airfix P-40)
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 05:25:30 PM »
Fantastic backstory and a very Kool looking fighter,too.  I must say that I don't really care much for the colors but to each his own.
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 05:38:39 PM »
This all began with the wonderful 1/72 Airfix Curtiss Hawk 81 (P-40B).

Stunning box art aside, this is a magnificent kit and excellent value for the money. I think it's a contender for best P-40 in 1/72 scale. Of course, mine would come out a little differently...

It started like many of my builds, with a nose job. Perhaps I was influenced by Canadian license-built Hurricanes with Hamilton Standard props or maybe I was thinking about the old P-30, anyway I found this not-convincing engine in my spares box. I lopped off the cylinders and after cutting back the P-40 nose, glued it on.

I had a spare Wildcat prop which was a very nice fit. I've been playing around with color schemes and with this one, I was going for a faded version of the famous USAAC yellow wings scheme. I used German colors, RLM Gelb on the wings & tail and Feldgrun on the fuselage. The decals are mostly from the kit except for the fuselage roundels and codes.

The entire model was brush-painted by hand with acrylics, including the rudder stripes. This model took me three days from start to finish. I hope you enjoyed it and the story about how the Kingbird tried to stop an unauthorized Soviet Tim Horton's run.

Brian da Basher

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 08:35:19 PM »
Beautiful job and backstory.  You find the most fascinating bits of history.

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 12:35:51 AM »
This is not my vision of beauty, but I love this enriching the Hawk big family. Thanks! :D

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 03:51:54 AM »
 :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Online finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 03:18:50 PM »
Very much late 30s.
Did it again with a spot on paint scheme.   :)

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 05:32:00 AM »
Love the CCF Hurricane prop connection! Of course, a Real World Canada would still be debating whether those props should not have saves us at least $4.89 per plane  ;D
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz