Author Topic: McDonnell Douglas AV-19A  (Read 19427 times)

Offline Eddie M.

• The Model Whisperer
  • All you need is.....i m a g i n a t i o n ....
Re: McDonnell Douglas AV-19A
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2013, 07:51:49 AM »
Absolutely stunning work. Nice to see your work again. :)
He really DID lose his marbles!

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2013, 07:27:18 AM »
Hey Eddie, where've you been --- thanks for your kind words   :-[

Offline Eddie M.

• The Model Whisperer
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2013, 05:45:11 AM »
Wondering aimlessly through the void looking for my mojo. Haven't completed a model in over a year, but still chipping away at many. Got a whif Super Hornet that's so close to being done I can taste it. But, as in a bad dream, I just can get there. Maybe I should hang out here more.  ;)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2013, 06:16:44 AM »
Wondering aimlessly through the void looking for my mojo. Haven't completed a model in over a year, but still chipping away at many.

I know where you're coming from, only manage to do one in over 18 months I think (Supermarine Seafire (Hybrid) Mk.45) but that got me back onto this one.  I'm going to make a big effort to finish a few that are mostly done but got shelved because I moved on to something else.

Maybe I should hang out here more.  ;)

See, there's the answer ---  ;)

Offline Eddie M.

• The Model Whisperer
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2013, 06:36:03 AM »
I must admit, a certain social website was occupying a lot of my time and I decided to deactivate that so that I might actually get back to having a life and hobby.  ;)

Now, if I could just find the cowling to the bird I'm working on. A new cat in the house and he's trying to derail my comeback. ;D

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #95 on: February 18, 2013, 05:05:18 AM »
Nothing much in progress at the moment, got a bit busy.  But I did glue the tail surfaces on and sorted out the canopy.   If anyone has built an Airfix Harrier GR.5/7 they would know that the canopy is just way too wide for where it's supposed to go.  I thought I had figured out what to do, I carefully squeezed it in and glued a small strip of styrene to the bottom edge to hold it in shape. I then glued the windshield on, leaving it overnight to make sure it cured properly.  Next day I saw all these little stress fractures had appeared all over the top of the canopy so I thought I would stress relieve it.  I put it in a cup of water and then zapped it in the microwave, weelll -- it didn't go to plan  --- it shrunk into a little blob of plastic --  so that was the end of that.

I'm now on my last canopy set from an Airfix GR.5/7 kit and what with some that were broken already and others which ended up broken, all from trying to get it to fit onto a fuselage, I've now got four of them which have no canopy ---  and there's no aftermarket product to get --  :-X :-X  Looks like I'll have to try and do one myself --

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #96 on: February 18, 2013, 05:18:32 AM »
Nothing from a vacuformed pov?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2013, 05:28:45 AM »
Nothing from a vacuformed pov?

No there isn't anything out there and considering the problems with the canopy from this kit I find that surprising as every one of the Airfix GR.5/7 are like this that I've come across, and even the T-10 kit has the canopy sections too wide too.  I don't know if it a situation where over time the canopy sort of stress relieves itself and goes out of shape, but when I pulled the blob of plastic out of the hot water I was somewhat surprised by the result.

My last canopy I've got comes from the Airfix Club kit, Sea Harrier and GR.7.  I carefully squeezed this one to fit the windshield part and just glued the windshield on it, and stress fractures are already appearing on the canopy part.  Really odd ---
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 05:34:15 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2013, 05:39:04 AM »
Would it be better to use the existing canopy as a modl to make some Vacuform/smash form canopies?

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2013, 05:41:49 AM »
Would it be better to use the existing canopy as a modl to make some Vacuform/smash form canopies?

I think that's what I'm going to do Greg, only I've got to buy another Airfix GR.7.  Maybe I'll get the new GR.9 kit and see what I can do with that. I think though, I'll make a resin mould and vacuform it correctly, I've been studying the moulds I have for the Victoria Products 1/72 Avro Arrow and that's what they did there.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2013, 05:46:17 AM »
Maybe you should make a whole bunch and sell any you don't use.

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2013, 05:48:48 AM »
That had come to mind ----  ;)

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2013, 05:31:34 AM »
A bit more progress,  I had to modify the u/c bay doors (top two pics) and I decided the tail planes I was going to use didn't look quite right. So I made some slightly bigger ones instead (bottom two pics)

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2013, 05:33:25 AM »
I'm also playing with a camo scheme which is taken from the Airfix TAV-8B kit, but I'm not sure about it at the moment.  I might change it to something else ---

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Global Moderator
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2013, 09:40:04 AM »
I like that scheme, It looks realistic
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher