Author Topic: Arizona > Gun Boat > Medum  (Read 16196 times)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Re: Arizona > Gun Boat
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2013, 03:01:19 PM »
Thank you --- but,,, I'm not at build level/skill you perceive.
What you don't see in my build (all builds) pictures is the bumbling screw-ups clean-ups and redo tries.
"effortlessly" - does not apply.
"humbled" "genius" - Thanks again, though applies more to other BTS posters than me.
Bill

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »
I'm liking it! :D

I might even steal the idea for a couple of RAN gunboats in my Royal Australian Marines AltHist universe. ;)

:)

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline finsrin

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »
I'm liking it! :D

I might even steal the idea for a couple of RAN gunboats in my Royal Australian Marines AltHist universe. ;)

:)

Guy
By all means,,, please do.
Love to see what you and anyone else comes up with building 1/xxx scale ships into 1/72ish gun boats.

Offline ysi_maniac

• I will die understanding not this world
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2014, 11:35:57 AM »
Yes, it was a real trial (sad that these days people can question photos as being possible "photoshops"  :(, though I do understand).  One of the reasons for this proposal is to gain some cost savings through common projectile designs/supply chains etc - i.e. since land systems are heavily focussed on 155mm, why not use the same for naval platforms rather then calibers such as 5-inch (127 mm).  Interestingly, the Zummwalt class should be the first to adopt such a solution with their 155 mm/62 caliber Advanced Gun System.  It is planned that a battery of two 155mm AGSs (as planned for each Zummwalt), firing-rocket assisted Long-Range Land Attack Projectiles (LRLAP) will provide precision strikes and volume fire at a range of up to 83 nautical miles. This system is equivalent to twelve 155mm howitzers and will see a three fold improvement in naval surface fire coverage when compared to current capabilities.

Is this ship upside down? ;)

Offline finsrin

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2014, 03:34:48 PM »
Does look like upper hull plans got printed inverted and ended up getting built that way.
No one will admit it, so build got finished as in pictures.
To avoid a defense contracting debacle everyone says this is how it was designed to begin with.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2014, 02:14:28 PM »
Tis fall,,, am beginning cleanup of extra messy model room so some manner of kitbashing might begin in 2-4 weeks.
Parts of gun boat got scattered by chaos of summer.  As parts are found during cleanup they will be deposited in one container.
When model building is feasible want to start with something or two less complex than gun boat before jumping back into it.
With 16 1/1 car models in build or maintenance I get distracted.  Though should add to archipelago air force in a ~month.
Happy building to all you.  Sorry - didn't get to commenting on enough your summer builds.  But am liking em..... :)
Bill

Offline japsubshunter

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2015, 01:49:03 AM »
Really stunning conversion - the use of the turrets and mixing of the scales really work out well - Do you have anywhere where the finished project can be viewed ? Would definitely like to see it all together in all its final glory - Once again like to thank you for sharing your great build with us.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2015, 12:28:42 PM »
Appreciate your interest.  I too would like see it "in all its final glory"
Is oldest of three stalled in-work model projects.  Got immersed in seven 1/1 car projects plus garages plus car meets.
Model building room became disfunctional.  Needs major clean up.  Don't know where all the parts are.  As car season winds down in Fall I will have more model time.
On positive side --- have started clean up.  I see the improvement.  Though anyone coming in room would not know it.
Thanks
Bill

Offline japsubshunter

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2015, 08:58:49 PM »
I think I can speak for all your ardent fans.............We will all be waiting patiently to see the Arizona in all her Beauty being launched in 2016.

It has been a really inspiring build to watch and am sure many modellers who have seen this have a totally new look at 1/350 Battleships !

All the best with your Hobby Den Spring clean.
Herman
IPMS
Cape Town
South Africa

Offline finsrin

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2015, 10:38:11 PM »
Surprised to see your posting on Gun Boat -- Thanks.
So happens,,, I gathered up some of its parts last week.  Missing one Sherman turret.  Its in messy room somewhere.
Those recent purchases (see Ooops bought) recluttered the place.  Did take truck load of kits to garage Thursday.  Still too cluttered to build.
While coulda been cleaning was studying how to build 1/48 E-2C as 1/72 something.  Slow start, now making progress on that.  Must put that aside and get back to getting model room operational again.
Herman; hope your statement "am sure many modellers who have seen this have a totally new look at 1/350 Battleships" is correct.  I see them thru 1/72 tuned eyes.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 10:56:21 PM by finsrin »

Offline kerick

• Responsible for all surrendered booty....Arrrr!!!!
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2015, 09:49:33 AM »
Good to see you getting back into modeling action. I've pondered the tank turret gunboat for quite some time. Some day I might just build one.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2015, 01:50:16 PM »
I give ship kits a 2nd look for 1/72 potential.  1/426 Arizona is common inexpensive kit at swap meets.  Ideal for first try at this.
Lot of 1/125 to 1/600 kits that otta work.  Depends on what want resulting build to be.  Cutting-sanding off non 1/72 stuff is important get 1/72 looking result.
Forward deck with hatch is cut off 1/72 Revell PT-109.  Common inexpensive kit around here.  Enjoy figuring out total configuration and what does and does not work.
1/125 to 1/350 ships can also become 1/48 gun boats.
Love :-* to see someone else build one.  Of better-same-lessor fit-n-finish not an issue for me.  I build for enjoyment at my level.  No ego involved.
Keep in mind for scaleorama GB should it get voted in !
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 01:53:45 PM by finsrin »

Offline kerick

• Responsible for all surrendered booty....Arrrr!!!!
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2015, 02:48:00 PM »
Ship hull is one thing. Gathering up several 1/72nd tank kits to rob the turrets from is another.

Offline finsrin

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2016, 04:10:44 PM »
Have seen 1/72 Panther and Sherman resin turrets on Ebay.  Don't have to buy complete tank kit.
Is where I bought gun boat turrets.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 06:12:29 PM by finsrin »

Offline finsrin

Re: Arizona > Gun Boat > Medum
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2016, 10:38:22 AM »
Bridge is off for rework issues. 
Attached pictures show progress on deck and guns.