Author Topic: Gingie's Build Thread  (Read 99212 times)

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
Re: Jordanian Falcon 2
« Reply #45 on: December 25, 2012, 01:50:08 AM »
Amazing work and done by Mk 1 eyeball you say... very impressive.  Superb pain job too.  Very well done.  :)
Friendly fire isn't and suppressive fire rarely does!

Offline Claymore

Re: RCAF Bobcat Air Defence Vehicle
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2012, 01:55:33 AM »
Awesome!  As an RAF Regt man myself and an ex-Air Defender (Rapier SAM), I am tickled that an RCAF entry has muscled into the LAND section.  Great model and superb finish.  Well done indeed.  :)

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2012, 03:01:43 AM »
Claymore - thanks for the kinds words! I was ex-Air Defence too; primarily ADATS, but was also in a Javelin S-15 regt for a while.

In Canada, many of the positions used to create 4th Air Defence Regt, (an Army unit) were taken from the RCAF, as the Regt's primary role was defence of the RCAF Airfields in Germany.

In the years following the creation of 4 AD Regt, not only had Canada pulled out of Germany, but as I've mentioned before, the Army no longer maintains any GBAD systems. I'm not even sure who provides airfield security (probably Military Police, but then that's hardly the same thing). So this got me wondering, what if the RCAF ever remembers that it gave up 250 position to the Army for a function it no longer gets, and decides it wants them back to create a RCAF Regt (or Sqn).

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2012, 03:35:04 AM »
gingie, I've got a technical question:  where would the ammo barrel go ?

also, could a system be set up where a lot of ammo could be carried in a towed unit ?

I really like your work though, looks very eye pleasing.   :)

Offline Gingie

« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2012, 05:35:11 AM »
Inside the hull there's lots of room for Ammo, the same or greater than the ammo storage inside the M-163 Vulcan. Probably enough room for 3 missile re-loads too. The only crew are the driver and the 2 in the turret, so pretty much everything behind the basket is available for stowage.

It's not uncommon for AD vehicles to be supported by a trailer for ammo, such as 40mm Duster, or even a separate vehicle. A separate dedicated support vehicle also provided for crew rotation, as AD vehicles are often functioning 24/7, crew relief becomes a tactical planning consideration. The separate vehicle could be as big as a 10 ton HLWV, as it would be able to carry ammo & crew in the A-echelon.

Offline Diavel

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2012, 06:10:40 AM »
This really is a cracking build Gingie, the nearest thing I have to this is the LAV-25 air defense system, the one I built is the Jadar resin kit, and I think they have stopped making it, but after looking at this, anything with a turret is fair game  >:D. I also did a Sheridan with a Gatling gun and Stingers,as well as a Leopard 2 with the same sort of set up up. Looks like I will have to acquire some more guns now.
cheers
Chris.   
Just call me the thread killer.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2012, 06:22:38 AM »
Gingie,

I remember visiting the RCAF base at Badeb-Baden, Germany many years ago (1991) and being shown round the ADATS & 30mm Oerlikon unit there.  Happy days...

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
    • SketchUp 3D Warehouse - My Digital Models
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2012, 10:49:43 AM »
All mucked up!

It would certainly look right at home over at the Yakima Firing Center in the spring or fall. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Global Moderator
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2012, 05:12:43 AM »
Modesty, thy name is Graeme :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Gingie

« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2012, 05:20:00 AM »
LOL, I'm far more handsome than I am modest. I was surprised Osprey let me put a whatif in the book.

Offline Gingie

Gingie's Build Thread
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2012, 09:27:02 AM »

A Canadian version of this real-life prototype:

Still not sure if I will add something like CRV-7 or Hellfire for the 'ground defence' role.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 03:20:42 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
Re: Cougar SAM
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2012, 09:31:52 AM »
With all of the recent developments for precision guided 70mm FFAR it would make perfect sense to allocate one of the launcher positions for a container of these weapons. 

Offline apophenia

• Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Cougar SAM
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2012, 10:24:49 AM »
Looking good! Adding on the CRV-7PG sounds like a good idea.
The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new land ...

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2012, 12:53:40 PM »
I was surprised Osprey let me put a whatif in the book.

just goes to show that "what-if" is gaining ground  ---  even Missing Lynx doesn't deride the Paper-Panzers & What-ifs like used to happen.

The Falcon is more credible than many Paper-Panzers too, like my Abrams-AGS, it has undergone much more development than anything from WW2 & may just actually see service one day.