Author Topic: AWACS competitors  (Read 7320 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
Re: AWACS competitors
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2018, 05:48:25 AM »
Interesting it looks like the RAF may be looking at Wedgetails to replace their E-3s.

would make sence, lots of commonality with the newly ordered P-8 Poseidon MR.1's

Personally, I think they should go along with India and use the A330 platform. more common with their Voyager aircraft

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2018, 07:10:24 AM »
Saab hits out at MoD over AWACS replacement in hard-hitting letter to MPs

Defence company Saab has made  a stinging attack on the MoD over its decision to start talks with Boeing about a 2bn purchase of early warning radar jets without holding a competition for the contract.

Story here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/10/22/saab-hits-mod-awacs-replacement-hard-hitting-letter-mps/
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2018, 02:28:08 AM »
I hope that image isn't what they would really propose.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Online Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2018, 09:43:34 PM »
Yes, hold a competition instead of just buying the platform that has been impressing everyone with its capability, reliability and general performance for the last several years in the middle east.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2018, 10:02:40 PM »
The type that seems to be in the news more these days is this Gulfstream 550 CAEW. It's about the same size as the Sentinel the RAF uses. When I first saw pics of it I thought it was a new rendition of FASS (Forward Aft Scanner System) but reading up on it, it isn't. It has Phased Array scanners on the four positions which (if I understand it correctly) alternate from one scanner to the next very quickly, to create a complete 360 scan of the area. So no moving parts --

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2018, 10:15:51 PM »
Now I've been working on a project called the BAE 844 (top pic) which was to have FASS, but after seeing the Gulfstream I'm now thinking of expanding it. Sometime ago I bought a couple of sets of the cheek scanners found on the RC-135's, I'm thinking that either joining two of the parts for each side to make an even longer one, or have one scanner before and after the wing on the fuselage sides.

The BAE 844 was based on the A310 and my project is in 1/72. Bottom pics shows some of the development I've been doing

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2018, 03:13:21 AM »
The RAF acquisition of Wedgetails will be a good one.  Now, isn't it also about time the RCAF joined the club... ;)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2018, 03:19:07 AM »
BTW, some interesting shots: