Author Topic: Airfix  (Read 46943 times)

Offline Litvyak

• Shifting between quantum realities...
  • Althistorian & profiler...& the 1st lady of whiff
    • The True North, Strong and Free (AltCan)
Re: Airfix
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 11:52:52 AM »
Chipmunk in 1/72? YAY!
"God save our Queen and heaven bless the Maple Leaf forever!"

Alternate Canada - http://altcan.webs.com

"Bernard, this doesn't say anything!" "Why thank you, Prime Minister."

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
    • SketchUp 3D Warehouse - My Digital Models
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 10:57:59 AM »
RE: Clear Parts issue Airfix 1:72 scale Valiant B(PR)K Mk.1/B(K) Mk.1 conversion

Airfix 1:72 Valiant B(PR)K Mk 1/B(K) Mk 1 Conversion Set (AFX65000)

Click on image or html to view product page at Sprue Brothers

This could be just a problem for customers here in the Americas but you can never be absolutely sure. 

I ordered one of these kits from Sprue Brothers last week and it was delivered to my doorstep on Saturday afternoon.  I thought it was odd that the box had been taped shut with clear/opaque tape (Scotch tape type) and even stranger was finding a torn instruction sheet inside that had been handled rather roughly and was folded beyond what is considered to be normal.  The clear inner bag was intact and all of the grey parts were there.  I unfolded the kit instructions and glanced at them, folded the paper up properly and put all of the contents back into the slightly batter box.  A few hours later I had a bit more time to spend with the new acquisitions so I opened up the Valiant conversion kit again and took a bit more time on the instruction sheet.  It was then that I realized the clear parts was missing.  It was just one piece with a lot of little camera port windows molded into it so it was too large to be unnoticed.  It was certainly not in the box and that got me to wondering who had been diddling the poodle at SB.  I sent an eMail to let them know that their usual stellar service had hit a snag, informed them of the condition of the box and the contents including the obviously missing clear part.  Within thirty minutes I had a reply back from SB stating they were looking into the problem.  That was all done last night after 2000 my time so they were up late in Missouri.  Another eMail  was waiting for me this evening when I returned home and it appears that the entire shipment from Airfix was missing the clear parts.  So if anyone is considering acquisition of the Airfix Valiant Tanker/Reconnaissance conversion kit you might want to wait a little while before satisfying your need for this kit and hopefully by then the problem will be resolved.  I was impressed with the quick response from SB on this matter and it reinforces my faith in them doing right by the customer and in this case it was far quicker than I had anticipated. 

More later on this issue as the situation develops and hopefully there will be a happy ending :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:13:10 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 12:09:54 AM »
RE: Clear Parts issue Airfix 1:72 scale Valiant B(PR)K Mk.1/B(K) Mk.1 conversion

Sprue Brothers replied with an eMail this morning on this issue of the missing clear parts.  It appears that Airfix never provided the clear part in the separate conversion kit and ASSUMED that anyone purchasing the kit would have the full Valiant kit in their possession prior to deciding to purchase this conversion.  It turns out that the clear part called out in the conversion instruction kit is actually part of the full Airfix Valiant kit and not included in the conversion. 

So a happy ending but not what I had expected. 

NO,  I am not going to purchase a bloody Airfix Valiant just to have the clear part with the camera windows.  :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 12:14:45 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 08:51:17 AM »

Sprue Brothers replied with an eMail this morning on this issue of the missing clear parts.  It appears that Airfix never provided the clear part in the separate conversion kit and ASSUMED that anyone purchasing the kit would have the full Valiant kit in their possession prior to deciding to purchase this conversion.  It turns out that the clear part called out in the conversion instruction kit is actually part of the full Airfix Valiant kit and not included in the conversion. 

NO,  I am not going to purchase a bloody Airfix Valiant just to have the clear part with the camera windows.  :)

Should the packaging then say: Additional parts required like the 1/72 Airfix Valiant.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:02:39 AM by The Big Gimper »
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 09:42:39 AM »

What clear parts do you need? I have a Valiant, and you see, the Vancouver show is this weekend....

Alvis 3.1

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 10:21:24 AM »
What clear parts do you need? I have a Valiant, and you see, the Vancouver show is this weekend....

Hi Al,

Thanks for the offer to help but I don't really need the clear parts for the reconnaissance version of the Valiant.  I was interested only in the tanker parts in that conversion kit and wanted to send the reconnaissance parts to a guy in Florida (aka recccephreak on ARC) since he likes those kinds of things.  With the damaged box and instructions I thought the parts were missing but Sprue Brothers cleared up that little mystery for me.  So all I need to do is send the one part from the conversion kit to reccephreak and he has a Valiant so he has the clear parts waiting for a purpose. 

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 02:00:46 AM »
Spitfire PR.XIX in 1:48
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 02:22:11 AM »
Pics:

Thanks to Brett Green - HyperScale 
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 08:10:32 AM »
I am going to definitely add one of those Merlins...maybe more than one.  A Lynx may be added as well. 

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 08:40:44 PM »
New releases for 2013 have been announced by Airfix.  Some nice stuff there.  Lots of new toolings. Greg will like the 1/48 Javelin.   ;D

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 02:21:39 PM »
As would I.   :)
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 02:33:47 AM »
I'll admit that, among other items, I've very much looking forward to the new tooling 1/72 Harrier GR.1 and GR.3.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 05:52:48 AM »
I'll admit that, among other items, I've very much looking forward to the new tooling 1/72 Harrier GR.1 and GR.3.
You and me both Evan ---  :)

Offline ChrisF

• Doesn't mind rough when he knows its gonna be rough...
  • Ham-fisted? Maybe. Master modeller? Definitely!
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 06:31:36 AM »
Oh dear... It looks like Airfix might be getting quite a lot of my money this year...

In other news the Club kit has also been announced:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151373561026271&set=a.80699376270.112940.65102591270&type=1&theater

Offline Daryl J.

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2012, 11:20:05 PM »
Might anyone be able to provide a time table for Airfix 2013 releases?
kwyxdxLg5T