Author Topic: Composi-Mold - Reuseable One Part Mold Medium  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My webpage
Re: Composi-Mold - Reuseable One Part Mold Medium
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 02:05:42 AM »
Mike - I used "Mann Ease Release 200" https://www.google.com/#q=mann+ease+release+200&safe=off
although just about any mold release should work. The Composi-Mold people say PAM works as well, and that's available in just about any supermarket.

Jeff - that's a great idea; I hadn't thought about dipping the parts in. I think suspending from a sprue or gluing the parts onto a thick sheet of plastic and "floating" that on the Composi-mold should work. Since the stuff takes hours to cool off, it may be possible to brush the Composi-Mold onto the parts (eliminating bubbles and voids) then dipping the parts into the Composi-Mold container to provide support.

I think I should have been more careful with my first experiments with this stuff; it looks like I'll have to filter the crap floating in it next time.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
    • SketchUp 3D Warehouse - My Digital Models
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 04:25:53 AM »
Mike - I used "Mann Ease Release 200" https://www.google.com/#q=mann+ease+release+200&safe=off
although just about any mold release should work. The Composi-Mold people say PAM works as well, and that's available in just about any supermarket.
I guess that makes PAM a "food grade" mold release? ;)

Jeff - that's a great idea; I hadn't thought about dipping the parts in. I think suspending from a sprue or gluing the parts onto a thick sheet of plastic and "floating" that on the Composi-mold should work. Since the stuff takes hours to cool off, it may be possible to brush the Composi-Mold onto the parts (eliminating bubbles and voids) then dipping the parts into the Composi-Mold container to provide support.

I think I should have been more careful with my first experiments with this stuff; it looks like I'll have to filter the crap floating in it next time.
Floating the parts attached to a sheet of plastic on top of the Composi-Mold sounds like a good idea too as that gives you a solid base that is not going to break free and float away as it is already floating :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My webpage
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 07:44:26 AM »
I guess that makes PAM a "food grade" mold release? ;)

Well, Composi-Mold is food safe (you can cast food - like chocolate - in it) so PAM would work. I can't use the PAM I have at home because it's butter flavored and it would attract the unwanted attention of at least one butterholic cat.  Maybe I'll get "Vet flavored" PAM next time. That'll keep them away...