Author Topic: Churchill Tank  (Read 34510 times)

Offline buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: Churchill Tank
« Reply #165 on: January 14, 2015, 11:38:30 AM »
There Germans had a plan to put the Soviet 120mm Mortar into a 38T chassies, a much more compact vehicle.

Having a Churchill size chassis for single tube does not sound practical. Especially if you plan to shoot n scoot.
Plenty of old Crusaders around for that gig.

Now a 380mm Sturmtiger type mortar, that would make more sense, if totally impractical in a Churchill.
Using the Navy hedgehogs on a heavy tank chassis as a grid square removal system sounds almost practical.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #166 on: January 14, 2015, 12:36:02 PM »
How about a medium or heavy breach loading mortar fired from a modified turret?  6 or 8" calibre with a range of 5-6000m.

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #167 on: January 14, 2015, 01:12:01 PM »
Well, in RL remember they did put the "Flying Dustbin" on the AVRE.   :o

Offline buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #168 on: January 14, 2015, 01:16:17 PM »
Well, in RL remember they did put the "Flying Dustbin" on the AVRE.   :o

yes.. but more is always better ;)

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #169 on: January 14, 2015, 02:18:50 PM »
However, in either case would such vehicles really need as much armour as the Churchill carried?  Surely there are better uses for such a vehicle?

No, wouldn't need the armour, was thinking the casemate would only be splinter proof, like Priest or Sexton. The rest of the hull would remain as built for simplicity's sake.

And yeah, neither idea is terribly practical, we're definitely trending to the "Cool!" side of WHIFing as opposed to the "realistic" side.

What about removing the turret and making an Allied Wirblewind with the 4-barrelled Polsten turret? Replace the 60- round snail magazines for the Polstens with larger capacity "tombstone" boxes?

That'd be kind neat.

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #170 on: January 14, 2015, 09:42:14 PM »
I know it is totally unreasonable, unrealistic and possibly insane but the Churchill will look good with an AMOS twin 120mm auto-loading mortar turret, a NEMO single 120mm would also be interesting but would result in a more sci-fi look.

Offline apophenia

• Suffered two full days of rapid-fire hallucinations and yet had not a single usuable whif concept in the lot !?!
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2015, 07:12:12 AM »
What about removing the turret and making an Allied Wirblewind with the 4-barrelled Polsten turret? Replace the 60- round snail magazines for the Polstens with larger capacity "tombstone" boxes?

Or just take the complete turret from the Canadian Tank AA, 20 mm Quad, Skink.
Under investigation by the Committee of State Sanctioned Modelling, Alternative History and Tractor Carburettor Production for decadent counterrevolutionary behaviour.

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2015, 12:34:31 PM »

Or just take the complete turret from the Canadian Tank AA, 20 mm Quad, Skink.
I suggested the Polsten turret because the Skink turret needs the 60" turret ring of the Sherman and wouldn't work with the smaller ring of the Churchill. All of the polsten turret is above the turret platform so if doesn't care about the ring diameter. But is sure would look cool!

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2015, 07:05:04 AM »
Royal Iraqi Army Churchill tanks in 1957:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #174 on: June 13, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
Right, at long last, my finished Australian Churchill Mk XX:

Now working on a recce vehicle based on an un-gunned STRV 103...

Paul

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #175 on: June 13, 2015, 08:47:16 PM »
Interesting.  What turret did you use?

Offline Volkodav

« Reply #176 on: June 13, 2015, 08:57:14 PM »
Nice, M-24 turret?

What's the back story again?

Offline tankmodeler

« Reply #177 on: June 13, 2015, 10:38:42 PM »
Back story: Imagine if the Aussies had decided to build a tank based on the Churchill instead of the Sentinel they did build. Cast hull and new turret. No shot trap in front of the driver, better shaped turret and hull, 25 pdr lengthened 10 calibres for better AT performance against weak Japanese armour while retaining the excellent HE punch of the 25 pdr for infantry support.

Scratch-built turret, though it does have an M24 look to it, to be sure. I kept the same height of the Churchill turret but moved the hatches a tad outboard to account for the larger breech of the 25 pdr. I imagined a better, shorter stroke recoil system that would have allowed the system to stay under armour and to limit the stroke to something that could stay within the Churchill's relatively limited turret ring. Better ballistic shape to the turret with a narrower front, slightly elongated nose to put the trunions a tad further forward for recoil management, a heavy, external mantlet with integral co-ax and sighting telescope with a back-up American style sight periscope. Gunner and commander on the left with loader to the right. Enough room in the ballistic shape of the rear of the turret for the radio, the good old No.19 set.

Aussie railway gauge was a bit larger than the UK one so the need to remove the air cleaners and have the narrow hull didn't exist. The Aussie designers took advantage of this to shape the hull sides better and get rid of the side doors. This provided additional stowage space for ammo and crew kit but also provided additional stowage points on the sides for blankets and tarps.

We kicked around a lot of the concept about a year ago when I started it.

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #178 on: June 14, 2015, 01:26:37 AM »
Aussie railway gauge was a bit larger than the UK one so the need to remove the air cleaners and have the narrow hull didn't exist. The Aussie designers took advantage of this to shape the hull sides better and get rid of the side doors. This provided additional stowage space for ammo and crew kit but also provided additional stowage points on the sides for blankets and tarps.

Did you enlarge the turret ring, or did you just give the tank thicker side skirts?
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2015, 04:27:36 AM »
Very attractive
All hail the God of Frustration!!!