Author Topic: Logan's Profiles - SdKfz 231 Halbkettenfahrzeug  (Read 198764 times)

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - Teodor Moscu's Heinkel He 100D-2
« Reply #555 on: March 30, 2014, 08:54:39 AM »
Oh, absolutely.  I don't think there was anything insurmountable preventing the He 100 from entering service.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #556 on: March 30, 2014, 09:05:16 AM »
Nothing on the airframe side, though I do believe it would have been difficult on the engine front.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #557 on: March 30, 2014, 09:06:37 AM »
If you phase out production of the 109 in favor of the He 100, you get the engines you need.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #558 on: March 30, 2014, 09:10:37 AM »
True, though at the time the He100 was being put forward, the Luftwaffe were happy with the Bf109 and didn't see a need for an immediate replacement.

Yes, in the whiffverse one can do anything they like and I am certainly not trying to discourage such ideas.  It's just that in the real world, it didn't happen for valid reasons.

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #559 on: March 30, 2014, 09:34:50 AM »
Agree completely, as I pointed out in my reply to Volkodov.  There's another reason, as well, that we haven't mentioned.  The RLM at the time had a desire for manufacturers to specialize in certain aircraft types.  For example, they wanted Heinkel to focus on bombers after the success of the He 111 and they wanted Messerschmitt to focus on fighters.  This desire helped kill promising designs such as the He 100, He 280, and Me 264.  It also frustrated Heinkel's efforts to get the He 219 Uhu into service.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Talos

• First candidate for the BTS Gulag...
  • It's riveting!
« Reply #560 on: March 31, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »
As I recall, there was also a little bit of concern about growth potential of the plane, since it was built around the DB 601 as the smallest airframe possible (which keeps drag to a minimum). Literally so if you take into account the way the engine mounts are integrated.

Mind you, I still had fun putting a Merlin on the He 100 Buchon, though.  ;)

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #561 on: March 31, 2014, 12:30:30 PM »
That's another reason why Talos and I both doubt the feasibility of the DB603 or Jumo 213 as viable alternatives on the airframe.  Those engines are really too beefy for that airframe.  It's not that re-engining is out of the question, however.  Something like the DB605 or Merlin would almost certainly work.  They fit on the basic 109 airframe and it was no bigger than the He 100.

I'd also point to the P-51 as a good comparison to the He 100.  It was the smallest production single seat airframe ever put behind the Allison V-1710.  It was designed to be that way.  Despite that, it took well to the Merlin and racers have even put Griffons on it.

All that to say, we don't really consider any of these impossible, but we do take these modifications very seriously.  We look at the weights, the internal layout, the engine dimensions, etc.  We scale all modifications and make sure they will or won't work to the best of our abilities.  Fortunately, though, with the exception of the troubling cooling system, Heinkel did most of the job right the first time.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - RAF B-51 Panther - 100 Squadron
« Reply #562 on: April 06, 2014, 01:36:24 PM »
As always, click on the image below to see the picture at 100% or view it at my DeviantArt page.

Here's another profile that I've done in collaboration with talos56.  In 1952 the RAF decided that it needed a low-level nuclear strike aircraft and that the Canberra did not fit this requirement.  This was in no small fact due to the US denying the British request to type approve the Canberra for carriage of the Mk 7 tactical nuclear weapon.  They obtained the production license for the aircraft, immediately transferring Handley Page's Canberra contract to Shorts while contracting Handley Page to quickly redesign the B-51 Panther to meet British service requirements.

The license production aircraft began reaching squadrons in the late 1950s, supplementing the V-bombers entering service at the same time.  Some squadrons used the Panther as an interim training aircraft to assist in transitioning to V-bombers such as the Vulcan and Victor.  Other squadrons operated the Panther in the nuclear deterrence role, based in mainland Europe.  One unit to transition from the Canberra to the Panther was No. 100 Squadron.  Painted in anti-flash white, this profile depicts an aircraft in 1963, after the adoption of the toned down roundels and squadron markings.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #563 on: April 07, 2014, 04:28:37 PM »
Very nice that white-wash color scheme!! :) :)

regards
Lauhof

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #564 on: April 07, 2014, 04:43:10 PM »
Another sweet B-51 :)
Each one you do increases my desire for styrene injected 1/72 B-51. 
Doggone,,, where are model companies on doing this gem ?

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - Estonian Heinkel He 46G
« Reply #565 on: April 08, 2014, 03:11:21 AM »
Thanks, guys!  I'm glad you like it!  Here's one that I've been planning for a while, but just started yesterday.  I've also submitted this to the The Snoops, Sensors, Spooks, & Spies GB.

I hope everyone likes it!  Information on the Estonian Hs 126s is a little light and what is out there is contradictory, so I combined the elements that I liked the most aesthetically to arrive at this profile.  By the way, this is the first Estonian profile that I've ever done, so another first on the list of countries I've done.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #566 on: April 08, 2014, 07:06:49 PM »
 :)

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #567 on: April 10, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »
You ever have one of those cases where you decide to start a little project, then it turns out that it was a MUCH bigger project than you thought it was going to be?

You want to know what is worse?  It's a project that I originally turned down because I decided that it was too hard.  I then managed to convince myself that I was being a sissy and just start working on it.  Turns out that the project is about twice as hard as I ORIGINALLY feared it would be, maybe worse.  So much work left to do...

Cheers,

Logan

Offline apophenia

• Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #568 on: April 11, 2014, 06:21:42 AM »
Ouch!  Love the Estonian Heinkel, though  :)
The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new land ...

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #569 on: April 11, 2014, 08:14:37 AM »
You ever have one of those cases where you decide to start a little project, then it turns out that it was a MUCH bigger project than you thought it was going to be?

You want to know what is worse?  It's a project that I originally turned down because I decided that it was too hard.  I then managed to convince myself that I was being a sissy and just start working on it.  Turns out that the project is about twice as hard as I ORIGINALLY feared it would be, maybe worse.  So much work left to do...

Oh, stop complaining ya big girl!  Get to it!!! ;)