Author Topic: Logan's Profiles - SdKfz 231 Halbkettenfahrzeug  (Read 209002 times)

Offline apophenia

• Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Logan's Profiles - Northrop P-61F - "Little Girl" - Capt. Grossheusch
« Reply #465 on: November 29, 2013, 11:34:11 AM »
It is beautifully done ... and I'm a sucker for rudder stripes  :-*
"Don't believe in violence, I don't even believe in peace."

Offline Logan Hartke

• High priest in the black arts of profiling...
  • Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - Northrop P-61F - "Little Girl" - Capt. Grossheusch
« Reply #466 on: November 29, 2013, 11:52:35 AM »
Thanks, guys!  I thought this one turned out well.  It does look nice with those rudder stripes, too.  You might be seeing more P-61s with them.

Thanks again,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - Vought V-187 Viking - Brazilian Viking
« Reply #467 on: December 01, 2013, 02:42:33 PM »
Here's one that's been in progress for over three and a half years.  Now that it's finished, I've submitted this to the Clear Your Workbench GB.  I'm glad to have finally finished it.  As per usual with the Vikings, note that this is reduced to 33%.  Click on the profile to see it on Photobucket where you can click again and see it at 100%.

In 1938, the Aviação Militar do Exército Brasileiro (Brazilian Army Aviation) purchased 26 Vought V-187 Vikings which received the registration numbers 105-130.  The V-187-BR, known as 'Vikings', equipped the 1º Regimento de Aviação, based at Santa Cruz. On November 8, 1939, one of these aircraft, piloted by Maj. Clovis Monteiro Travassos and Sgt. Alfredo Amaral Barcelos (mechanic), conducted a direct flight between Fortaleza and Porto Alegre, covering a distance of 3,240 km over 11 hrs and 45 min.

With the creation of the Ministério da Aeronáutica in 1941, the aircraft were incorporated into the Força Aérea Brasileira (Brazilian Air Force).  During World War II, these aircraft were used in anti-submarine patrol missions.  On August 26, 1942, V-187-BR '122' of the 3º Regimento de Aviação in Canoas and manned by 1st Lt. Alfredo Gonçalves Corrêa (pilot) and Sgt. Carlos Zell (radioman and gunner), surprised a German submarine 50 miles from Araranguá, along the Paraná coast.  The attack took place at 1400 hrs and the Viking was so low to the water when it dropped its payload that the shrapnel from the explosion damaged the cowling and exhaust manifold of the V-187-BR, forcing the crew to land at the emergency landing strip at Osório.  On the 28th of the same month, V-187-BR '107', piloted by Capt. Manuel Rogério de Souza Coelho, attacked a submarine near Iguape, although without acheiving any visible damage to the enemy vessel.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline lauhof52

• Dutchie
  • The Decimator Guy!
« Reply #468 on: December 01, 2013, 05:11:21 PM »
This one is really beautiful, Logan! 8)

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #469 on: December 01, 2013, 10:42:43 PM »
Thanks, lauhof!  I'm happy about how it turned out!

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Geist

• Never give up from your dreams!
    • Duhr Aviation Art
« Reply #470 on: December 03, 2013, 05:31:27 AM »
Great work and info. :)
This fact is entirely new for me, despite of being part of my country history.
Check out my other works at my website, leave your comments and download the wallpapers!
http://www.duhraviationart.com

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #471 on: December 03, 2013, 05:40:10 AM »
Thanks!  Good to hear it meets Brazilian approval!  The history is, obviously, a modification of the real history of the Vultee V-11 GB2.  The site below has a good deal of history on it.

http://www.rudnei.cunha.nom.br/FAB/index.html

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Geist

• Never give up from your dreams!
    • Duhr Aviation Art
« Reply #472 on: December 06, 2013, 08:11:20 AM »
Thanks for the link.
I know the owner of the site. It sounds ridiculous, but I didn't know he had it.
Anyway, keep posting your profiles. They're great.
Regards
Check out my other works at my website, leave your comments and download the wallpapers!
http://www.duhraviationart.com

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #473 on: December 06, 2013, 09:12:42 AM »
Thanks, Geist!  I'm not surprised you know him.  I imagine the online Brazilian historic aviation enthusiast community is small enough that you bump into each other every now and again.

By the way, as I pointed out, I've been planning this profile for years but kept getting distracted.  Fortunately, I saved the image of the very dapper caiman astride the bomb back when I initially looked at doing the profile.  Since then, however, I could not find the darn thing online for the life of me.  Do you or Rudnei happen to know who the original artist was for the graphic?  I'd love to give credit to the appropriate person.  Feel free to show the Viking to Rudnei and thank him for his site which I took advantage of in doing my research for this profile.

I hope he's able to update the site soon, especially the navigation.  The 800x600 format is beginning to show its age at this point.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
Re: Logan's Profiles - Vought V-507 Vagabond - VF-1 Wolfpack
« Reply #474 on: December 06, 2013, 03:49:29 PM »
As always, click on the image below to see the picture at 100% or view it at my DeviantArt page.  It's another Vought V-507, LTV's submission to the VFX competition actually won by the Grumman Tomcat.

VF-1, "Wolfpack" was re-established on October 14, 1972 at NAS Miramar, at the same time as VF-2, these units were the first F-14 fighter squadrons. VF-1 received the first F-14As on July 1, 1973. The squadron's insignia was a red wolf’s head designed by Grumman Commercial Artist, George M. Kehew who himself is a WWII combat veteran. The Squadron Insignia is registered in the Library of Congress.

Under the command of Cdr. George M. Furlong, Jr.--better known as "Skip"--VF's first cruise came in September 1974 onboard Enterprise. The end of the cruise saw the Vagabond's combat debut, as VF-1 and VF-2 flew cover over Saigon for evacuation of US personnel in April 1975 as part of Operation Frequent Wind.  Skip Furlong, the pilot of the aircraft depicted in this profile, would go on to become a rear admiral after commanding VF-1.  He had a long and distinguished flying career serving as the F-14 Program Manager, the first F-14 CAG, the first S-3 CAG, and the last fleet pilot to check out in the Vought F-8 Crusader.

It was, perhaps, the radar intercept officer of this aircraft, however, that would go on to be more famous than the pilot.  Lieutenant (junior grade) Dale Gardner was involved in the initial F-14 developmental test and evaluation before his cruise with VF-1 on the USS Enterprise in 1974.  In 1978 he was selected as an Astronaut Candidate by NASA and would go on to fly on the Space Shuttle Challenger in mission STS-8 in 1983.  He later flew on the Discovery's second mission, STS-51-A.  This mission launched on November 8, 1984, Gardner's 36th birthday.  During STS-51-A, Gardner completed two space walks totaling 12 hours and participated in the recovery of two wayward satellites.  During his NASA career, he would spend over 14 days in space and make 225 orbits of the Earth.

First of all, I wanted to go roughly chronologically now that I got the requisite VF-84 bird out of the way.  VF-1 was the perfect starting point.  Next, I needed to pick the actual aircraft to represent.  The CAG bird was a good one, but finding the details on the crew was a little tougher.  There's a great profile of the plane I patterned this aircraft off of in this book and it even has enough fidelity to make out the names of the crew under the cockpit.

http://www.amazon.com/Tomcat-Grumman-F-14-Aircraft-Specials/dp/0897475364

"CDR SKIP FURLONG" and "LTJG BILL GARNDER"

First of all, I thought that "Garnder" was a misspelling and should be "Gardner".  Some quick searches reinforced that, but I still couldn't find a "Bill Gardner" associated with Skip Furlong.  Thankfully, I had another (much older) book I was using as a source:

http://www.amazon.com/Grumman-F-14-Tomcat-Aero-25/dp/0816805903/

Although 32 years older than the book I was using for the profile and even more than a decade older than me, it was the better source in this case.  On one of the last pages, it has a picture of the right side of this very aircraft in good enough quality that you can make out the name.  LTJG DALE GARDNER.  Now I could write the story for it and make it pretty interesting and give it the personal touch.

I also wanted to show an aircraft in the "clean" configuration to show off the fine lines.  Fortunately, most of the VF-1 Tomcats from that first cruise were also clean.  I removed the Sidewinder pylons, too, since that was common with the F-8 Crusader when they were not in use.

Cheers,

Logan
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:33:34 AM by Logan Hartke »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #475 on: December 07, 2013, 03:24:16 AM »
Nice work as per usual :)
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #476 on: December 07, 2013, 04:56:27 AM »
Thanks, Greg.

Sorry, guys, when I posted this at 2:49 AM in the morning, I had the wrong link to the full size image, so you couldn't see the detail like the names under the cockpit, for example.  I've since fixed that link.

Next up?  Probably an He 100 of some form.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #477 on: December 07, 2013, 04:58:18 AM »
Probably an He 100 of some form.

I vote Israeli post war...

Offline Logan Hartke

• Rivet-counting whiffer
« Reply #478 on: December 07, 2013, 05:21:00 AM »
Eventually, but that one won't be anytime soon.  Sticking with the DB 601 for the moment.

Cheers,

Logan

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #479 on: December 07, 2013, 05:29:22 AM »
Eventually, but that one won't be anytime soon.  Sticking with the DB 601 for the moment.

Cheers,

Logan

No reason an Israeli one can't be DB601 powered... ;)