Author Topic: A34 Comet  (Read 10813 times)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
Re: A34 Comet
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2018, 06:26:13 AM »
More info on the "Headless Coachman"
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2018, 03:07:00 PM »
Kind of surprised they didn't go for the L2 BAT or L6 WOMBAT 120mm versions.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2018, 11:46:11 PM »
Reading the article and the permanently broke status of the Irish Defence Forces, I'm guessing that the Bofors 90mm was in stock and, as it says in the article, went back to the infantry. There was no money to buy _anything_ for the Comets, including any HE ammo once a fault had been found in the existing stocks.

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2018, 04:38:13 AM »

If the BAT series was an option, I kinda would have liked the BAT or MoBAT better than the WOMBAT as the former's vertically-sliding breech might make gun crew space planning simpler.

I would actually have, for this idea, liked the fact that the American 106mm is prolific enough that new ammunition is still being marketed, but not only does the American 106mm use a horizontally-hinged breech, it also lacks the back blast chute extension (which, as I recently start to suspect since we would want to make it as difficult for the recoilless rifle's back blast to enter the turret ring opening as possible without placing the breech out of reach from the designated loader, might be important)......
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 09:00:43 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2018, 02:17:42 PM »
There are significant differences between how the US 106mm RCL and the British 120mm RCL operate.  The 106mm has numerous holes drilled in the sides of it's cartridge case.  Into the case is placed a "liner" made of thin brass or plastic. When the round fires, it blasts holes through the liner and the gases exhaust sideways and then it is redirected rearwards.  The 120mm has a frangible base in the cartridge case, which fractures and disintegrates (it is usually made of plastic) and is blasted to the rear.

The first type - the 106mm - is simpler to build but it requires a stronger breech structure and it makes an autoloader hellishly more complex.   The second type requires a simpler breech mechanism and a longer breech exit.  Autoloaders are much simpler.

I've fired both styles of weapon (106mm and the 84mm Carl Gustav) and personally I prefer the British (actually German - Rheinmetall) system - it tends to be easier to reload.