Author Topic: F-104 Ideas and Inspiration  (Read 24098 times)

Online elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: F-104 Ideas and Inspiration
« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2018, 07:35:53 AM »
What I wanted to qualify as 'Perfect' is this. :smiley:

Presumably it drops its tip tanks when it needs to go "full stealth" as they make, both by themselves and in the sharp intersections with the leading and trailing edges, excellent radar reflectors.  You might be able to reduce it by making them of composite with RAM incorporated in it, but that still leaves the intersections to create reflectors.

Offline SebastianP

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2018, 08:02:26 AM »
If you're going full sci-fi like that, there's always this thing (which I was astonished not to see in the thread already):

The Sv-152 Svärd Variable Fighter (i.e. it transforms into a robot), designed by Shoji Kawamori. This is one of like three images that exists of it, it only featured as stills in flashbacks in Macross Delta, but despite some people's initial interpretations, this is very clearly an F-104-derived design...

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2018, 08:34:14 PM »
What I wanted to qualify as 'Perfect' is this. :smiley:

Presumably it drops its tip tanks when it needs to go "full stealth" as they make, both by themselves and in the sharp intersections with the leading and trailing edges, excellent radar reflectors.  You might be able to reduce it by making them of composite with RAM incorporated in it, but that still leaves the intersections to create reflectors.

Or have them shaped like those multi-mission pods the F-35 is getting.

Offline Zaskar24

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »
If you're going full sci-fi like that, there's always this thing (which I was astonished not to see in the thread already):

The Sv-152 Svärd Variable Fighter (i.e. it transforms into a robot), designed by Shoji Kawamori. This is one of like three images that exists of it, it only featured as stills in flashbacks in Macross Delta, but despite some people's initial interpretations, this is very clearly an F-104-derived design...

Thank you for posting this on Sebastian. I have a line drawing of this one but no color shots.

You can definitely see the F-104 lineage of the design.

Online elmayerle

« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2018, 08:26:18 AM »
Thinking of a F-104J-Kai with bits of the F-104ASA from Alenia, possibly sharing a radar with the Mitsubishi F-2, as well as a re-engining with PW1120 or F404 or F414; perhaps borrow a canard set from a Kfir to add to the mix for color.

Addendum: Armament would be a mix of Japanese AAM-3 and AAM-4 missiles.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 09:30:07 AM by elmayerle »

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2018, 08:45:49 AM »
Could the fuselage of a 1/144 kit be used to house a fountain pen?
kwyxdxLg5T

Online elmayerle

« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2018, 09:31:18 AM »
Could the fuselage of a 1/144 kit be used to house a fountain pen?
"Skywriting" out the exhaust nozzle?  I could see that as a joke/novelty item for aviation buffs.