Author Topic: Ceramic blades/scrapers  (Read 73 times)

Offline Frank3k

  • The bomb lives only as it is falling
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Ceramic blades/scrapers
« on: Yesterday at 12:38:49 AM »
I saw a video of a modeler who used a ceramic scraper to cleanly remove flash on a part. It was impressive, but the fancy Japanese scraper was expensive (about $35, with just one blade).  I have a ceramic strip in my knife sharpening tool. It's bulky, but I used it on some flash and... it worked! So I ordered some ceramic blades from Amazon. One is a set of #11 blades, the other is a blade for the Olfa snappable cutter (both are white ceramic):



The edges are ridiculously sharp and can easily cut/remove flash and cut through plastic with no problem. The blades are fragile, but the results are impressive.

Online Buzzbomb

  • Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: Ceramic blades/scrapers
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 06:20:43 AM »
Have one of these in the kit for a while, yes they do work very well.

SMS here in Aus do these. Here

I have to say though, for the vast majority of the time, putting down a knife, to get the ceramic scraper out to do a small seam line, mostly never happens. I use the knife I have in hand  :-[

Offline Old Wombat

  • "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Ceramic blades/scrapers
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 08:37:25 AM »
Have one of these in the kit for a while, yes they do work very well.

SMS here in Aus do these. Here

I have to say though, for the vast majority of the time, putting down a knife, to get the ceramic scraper out to do a small seam line, mostly never happens. I use the knife I have in hand  :-[

Same here.  ::)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Frank3k

  • The bomb lives only as it is falling
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: Ceramic blades/scrapers
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:07:09 AM »
That's why I have both front and center on my workbench, next to my primary fine cutter - a Swann Morton surgical blade mounted in a Bard Parker handle. I inherited two handles from my Mom's dental lab and they are the best handles I've used.This video by Paul Budzig explains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaX1Zx1JmAs

I don't think a ceramic blade can withstand the forces needed to install or remove a blade from these handles. In any case, the Swann Morton blades are far sharper.

Offline pebbleworm

  • Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: Ceramic blades/scrapers
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:50:33 AM »
I've been  using a small steel engraver's scraper since the 1990s.  Does a great job of deburring on steel and an even better job on plastic.  Removes a lot of material and leaves a relatively smooth surface.  It lives in the rack with the X-Actos on the bench so it's always ready.  A similar tool:
https://shop.takachpress.com/edward-c-lyons-scraper-small-l321-01s/