Author Topic: Marder IFV, TAM, and Puma IFV  (Read 36701 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
    • SketchUp 3D Warehouse - My Digital Models
Re: Marder IFV, TAM, and Puma IFV
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 10:14:52 PM »
Would the Marder hull be capable of accommodating the 105mm gun turret from the M1128 Stryker Mobile Gun System?   
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 10:32:13 PM »
I don't see why not.  The Argentinians developed the TAM tank off the basic design and it's related to the Leopard 1 either way.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline apophenia

• Suffered two full days of rapid-fire hallucinations and yet had not a single usuable whif concept in the lot !?!
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 03:58:34 AM »
Jeffry: the experimental Thyssen/Henschel VTS-1 was a Marder hull with a 105mm RWS.
http://www.military-vehicle-photos.com/picture/number1762.asp

John: the Argies didn't really develop the TAM. 'Tanque Argentino Mediano' is just the EjÚrcito Argentino's name for the licenced Thyssen-Henschel TH 301. </JMN mode>
Under investigation by the Committee of State Sanctioned Modelling, Alternative History and Tractor Carburettor Production for decadent counterrevolutionary behaviour.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 04:07:30 AM »
Jeffry: the experimental Thyssen/Henschel VTS-1 was a Marder hull with a 105mm RWS.
http://www.military-vehicle-photos.com/picture/number1762.asp

Thanks for providing the link/image.  That configuration certainly looks interesting with the elevated main gun.  The MGS turret would be a bit wider but still a possibility to make it fit in the confines of the hull. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 04:08:34 AM »
Marder as a tank destroyer With fixed 120mm gun?
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 04:16:34 AM »

Gun forward and engine to the rear?  That could work but there are better and certainly much sturdier platforms for such a concept. 

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Hopefully I can find the right parts to eventually modify one of my Marder kits to create a mortar track. 

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 06:24:24 AM »
John: the Argies didn't really develop the TAM. 'Tanque Argentino Mediano' is just the EjÚrcito Argentino's name for the licenced Thyssen-Henschel TH 301. </JMN mode>

Whilst I'm aware that the original TAM was designed by Thyssen-Henschel, the TAM was produced in Argentina in seven variants I believe.  The TH-301 was a development of the original TAM design (initially designated TAM-4) differing in powerpack, fire control & other details.  With this in mind, one would suggest that the TH-301 is, in fact, a development of the TAM.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 08:12:07 AM »
the Stryker MGS turret wil "just" fit the Marder chassis !

I'm currently doing (an updated) Abrams version which was built.  Teledyne had 1/35th models of it on Abrams, Leopard1, Centurion -- the Centurion one was later built by Jordan.

The AFV Club MGS kit has a few issues re a wrong part number & several very fragile bits.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 04:46:56 PM »

Gun forward and engine to the rear?  That could work but there are better and certainly much sturdier platforms for such a concept. 

Bah!  Practicality is optional around here ;)

Offline apophenia

• Suffered two full days of rapid-fire hallucinations and yet had not a single usuable whif concept in the lot !?!
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 12:19:05 PM »

That sounds very much like the Swedish UDES 11 concept.

In the other hemisphere, TAP was to be a tank derivative on the stretched VCA Palmaria hull.
Under investigation by the Committee of State Sanctioned Modelling, Alternative History and Tractor Carburettor Production for decadent counterrevolutionary behaviour.

Offline apophenia

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 10:08:55 AM »
I rather like the look of the recent Rheinmetall IFV upgrade but there's not much of the original Marder left recognizable except the wheels and track. So, what's a modeller to do?

How about putting wheels underneath the remaining Marder upper hull?

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 01:32:00 PM »
 :)

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 08:10:48 AM »
Picking up the Marder SPAAG theme again, here's a model Diethelm Berlage (mentioned earlier in this thread) built of an actually proposed Marder SPAAG. Of course, it wasn't adopted.

On the left is a Marder in Barracuda netting and the thing without turret on the right is a gunnery range "referee tank".
I took the pic at the 6th DPMV Konvent (see more pics HERE).
Too bad we only dropped by Diethelm's display when he was already packing up, so I only got this pic. The Begleitpanzer he built was already stashed in the car. Chatted with him for a couple of minutes , though. Really nice guy.  :) Said he built forty(!) Marders so far.  :icon_surprised:

EDIT: Just found an actual pic of the Marder SPAAG!  :icon_surprised:

« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:14:55 AM by ChernayaAkula »
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 08:14:33 AM »
In the other hemisphere, TAP was to be a tank derivative on the stretched VCA Palmaria hull.

Is it a real (as in on paper) proposal?  :icon_music:
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 08:22:04 AM »
^ I think so. I think there's a pic of it in THIS BOOK. I'm not sure, though, and I don't remember whether it was just a drawing or a pic of a mock-up.
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"