Author Topic: Unmanned Recovery, Disaster Response and Hazard Mitigation vehicle.  (Read 74 times)

Offline Frank3k

  • The bomb lives only as it is falling
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
I bought the Takom 1/35 ZRZ-100 Unmanned Combat Ground Vehicle


and the ZRY-222 Unmanned Combat Ground Vehicle


...both have easy to remember and not at all confusing names.

The ZRZ-100 was smaller than I expected, so my intention of making it a manned vehicle went out the airlock. The ZRY-222 is even smaller and I didn't feel like dealing with the track system. I did use one of the Boston Dynamics "robo dogs"

Making it an unmanned combat vehicle wasn't too interesting, so I decided to make it and extreme environment Recovery, Disaster Response and Hazard Mitigation vehicle.
The kit itself is OK. The fit between the upper and lower hull isn't great but the build is otherwise fast and uneventful. The robo dog was a bit more difficult, since it has many small parts and occasionally confusing instructions. I also added a recovery arm to the dog:



The yellow flange on the front left bumper was going to be where the arm went, but it made more sense to put it on the turret. Now it's a secure sample container. I'm going to add a fire hose to the left arm on the turret and a liquid foam tank to the rear. I'll fix the right platform and use it as a landing pad for a small drone, which I modified from a Spalah FPV drone model.

Steve is unimpressed as usual. I'm going to add a platform for the robo dog just below the exhausts, which will be removed The dog can get on and off from the platform on its own and "resting" it will be below the LiDAR (the semi-cylinder in the middle). This will be an electric vehicle as a result. It makes more sense if it's sent into areas with low oxygen:



I painted the tires in an aluminum color to represent a metal weave instead of rubber. Similar to the XB-70 tires.

Offline Buzzbomb

  • Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Nice plan. So something akin to fitting into the thunderbirds universe, a specialty vehicle that does ……