Author Topic: Raafif's Lancasters & Lincolns  (Read 4994 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: Raafif's Lancasters & Lincolns
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 10:10:12 AM »
well, I'll think about it .... as per the SAC Lincoln above, polished-natural-metal doesn't look good on Lancs/Lincs :icon_crap:   I have seen several actual models of polished-metal USAF Lancasters ( with Privateer turrets & blisters) & they look "ok" but not "wow!".

I may do an RAF "Atom" ... they needed that ugly saddle-tank on its back to reach Japan tho :icon_nif:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 10:25:56 AM »
Not to be forgotten are our posts on WW2 tankers & in flight refueling.  Even Lancaster-to-Lancaster.
The 1950 SAC Lincoln works for me.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 01:53:07 PM »
A Lincoln with the Tiger Force saddle tanks would be unique.  For transport/tanker purposes, how about a design that bears the same relationship to the Lincoln that the Lancastrian bears to the Lancaster?  I could easily see that being modified with probe and drogue gear to serve as a tanker (for an expanded capacity tanker, add those saddle tanks again).

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 02:15:40 PM »
A special version of the Avro Lancaster was built to enable the trip to Japan carrying an Atomic Bomb -- this version (only 5 aircraft in all) was named the Avro Atomic.  No squadron codes were worn - each aircraft was identified by its individual name.

The fuselage was lengthened to house the extra fuel & the wings extended for added lift, new-type engines were also fitted.  Due to the size of the bomb the bombay doors had cut-outs and aerodynamic fairings fore & aft -- these could be jettisoned just before dropping of the Bomb if necessary.

The "Atomic" would become the prototype for the post-war Avro Lincoln.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 02:17:35 PM by raafif »

Offline JP Vieira

• The Challenge Master!!!
    • What-If World
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 06:22:18 PM »
Excellent work!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »
Yes, excellent work.   Interesting subject matter indeed.