Author Topic: Orchard Studios  (Read 1529 times)

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Orchard Studios
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2019, 04:30:04 AM »
In the Ar234 nighfighter (which flew one mission) they crammed the dumbass who volunteered to be the radar guy - and all his equipment - in the space behind the rear fuel tank (where the camera is shown in the line drawing).

Yeah, you can see here:

It would have been very cramped though.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline Ghost Rider

• Dreamer
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2019, 11:08:08 PM »

'If it looks right it flies right' - anyone hearing that phrase will instantly think  ... Hawker Hunter .

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 01:39:16 AM »
AWACS with a punch! ;)

Neat! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 03:26:07 AM »
Given the Ruhrstahl/Kramer X-4 was wire guided I wonder if some sort of prop guard would be required?

Offline Ghost Rider

• Dreamer
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 05:13:02 AM »

I wonder if some sort of prop guard would be required? 

Good point ???
'If it looks right it flies right' - anyone hearing that phrase will instantly think  ... Hawker Hunter .

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 06:28:54 AM »
Greeaat study of Ar-234  :smiley:

First thought is 1/48 built as 1/72 AWACS.  Pick a country and time period.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 09:51:58 AM »
Given the Ruhrstahl/Kramer X-4 was wire guided I wonder if some sort of prop guard would be required?

After weapons testing with the X-4 wire-guided missile the Ar-234 was converted to pusher turboprops, which, coincidentally, led to the ability to carry a second pair of X-4's inboard of the engines & to the outer missiles being able to be brought closer in, thus reducing the loading on the outer wing sections! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2019, 12:22:32 PM »

After weapons testing with the X-4 wire-guided missile the Ar-234 was converted to pusher turboprops, which, coincidentally, led to the ability to carry a second pair of X-4's inboard of the engines & to the outer missiles being able to be brought closer in, thus reducing the loading on the outer wing sections! ;)
The engineer in me wonders if those would be gearbox driven propellers as on Allison's propfan design or exhaust-driven propellers like the aft fans on the CF700 and CJ805-23 or the aft propfans on GE's GE36 unducted fan engine.  Personally, I think the gearbox driven approach would be more feasible for the times.

Offline Ghost Rider

• Dreamer
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2019, 07:23:06 PM »
It was just a design exercise as early turboprop engines would have had little advantage over internal combustion engines at the time ... with the added complications of un-reliability, complexity and high maintenance.

So, at a time when speed and firepower were critical in the defence of the Reich I give you ..... 

;)

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #39 on: Yesterday at 04:55:34 AM »

The engineer in me wonders if those would be gearbox driven propellers as on Allison's propfan design or exhaust-driven propellers like the aft fans on the CF700 and CJ805-23 or the aft propfans on GE's GE36 unducted fan engine.  Personally, I think the gearbox driven approach would be more feasible for the times.

The BMW concepts used a gearbox, the first design being a contra-prop with planetary gearing in a
ducted spinner, second contra-props with a long spinner, short annular intake and gear drive moved
aft to in front of the compressor.

"Evil our grandsires were, our fathers worse;
And we, till now unmatched in ill,
Must leave successors more corrupted still."
Horace, 65BC - 8BC. Marsh translation.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #40 on: Today at 02:04:53 AM »
What's the source of those images Jon?