Author Topic: Acree's Profiles  (Read 54760 times)

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
Re: Acree's Profiles
« Reply #315 on: December 25, 2012, 11:39:19 PM »
With a titanium pilot, it is very practical, and pretty and fun, all the best :)

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #316 on: December 26, 2012, 12:10:52 AM »
Then one more vote for Fw-190TL-type installation, if you want to make another jet version (after Googling it a bit, it does seem to me the method that messes with the original look the least).  ;)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 12:25:11 AM by dy031101 »
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Acree

• That will teach you to frustrate the powers that be...won't it comrade?
  • Sentenced to time in the BTS Gulag...
« Reply #317 on: December 26, 2012, 04:42:07 PM »
Well, OK, if you insist:
The XP-12S was totally unsuitable for squadron service due to uncontrollable cockpit heat, plus the overcrowded cockpit.  The aircraft was, however, extremely maneuverable, and the five service test versions (YP-12S, later re-designated YF-12S), were sent to Fürstenfeldbruck AB, Germany where, after brief testing, they were used to form an aerobatic team, the Skyblazers, which eventually became the official aerobatic team of the US Air Forces in Europe (USAFE).  The three-aircraft team flew the YP-12S for only one airshow season in 1949 before they were replaced by F-84G aircraft. 
Meanwhile, an improved version was developed which used design features gleaned from documents captured from the Focke-Wulf company in Germany.  This version, the P-12T, was only slightly more successful - though it solved the heat and crowding problems, it was still very short ranged and had a slow top-speed for the day. 
Shown below are a Skyblazers YF-12S and a test XP-12T. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 04:44:38 PM by Acree »

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #318 on: December 27, 2012, 01:17:43 AM »
I would have thought the XP-12T prefers a T-tail, but the flame trace seems to show this is safe like that. :)

Offline apophenia

• Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #319 on: December 27, 2012, 09:19:28 AM »
I would have thought the XP-12T prefers a T-tail, but the flame trace seems to show this is safe like that. :)

Hmmm .... the T-tail from the Ta 183 Huckebein would look awfully nice (and maintain the Focke-Wulf connection). An XP-12T-2 perhaps?
The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new land ...

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #320 on: December 27, 2012, 09:53:53 AM »
YF-12S and XP-12T are some fine imagineering, paint and all  :-*
They do look airworthy and either money worthy to build after a major lottery win.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 01:43:11 PM by finsrin »

Offline dy031101

• Yuri Fanboy and making cute stuff practical- at least that's the plan anyway
  • Prefers Guns And Tanks Over Swords And Magic
« Reply #321 on: December 27, 2012, 01:28:59 PM »
I can imagine a centrifugal flow turbojet in the XP-12T...... and it feels awesome!  :-*

Thanks for your work.
Forget about his bow and arrows- why wait until that sparrow has done his deed when I can just bury him right now 'cause I'm sick and tired of hearing why he wants to have his way with the cock robin!?

Offline Acree

« Reply #322 on: December 28, 2012, 02:02:12 PM »

Hmmm .... the T-tail from the Ta 183 Huckebein would look awfully nice (and maintain the Focke-Wulf connection). An XP-12T-2 perhaps?
OK... seems a little crazy to me, but here is the XF-12T-2 with Huckebein-style tail, as well as the XF-12T-3 with further modernization.  In 1948, Boeing finally gave up on the biplane configuration and created a monoplane version, the XF-92 (I have included the original P-12E starting point to illustrate the extent of development [LOL]).

Offline Tophe

• my models
« Reply #323 on: December 28, 2012, 08:14:10 PM »
Among them is my favourite biplane in the World :-*

Offline apophenia

• Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #324 on: December 30, 2012, 12:12:34 PM »
Love the XF-12T-2 and XF-92  :-*  BTW, "a little crazy" is a good thing, right?
The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new land ...

Offline Acree

« Reply #325 on: December 30, 2012, 12:16:55 PM »
Thanks!  Yep, "a little crazy" is a very good thing... especially around here.  If I had the time and space for plastic modelling, I think I would build an XF-92.  Meteor engine nacelle, F-84G wings, Huckebein tail, P-47 canopy, and pretty much any old fuselage would work... hmmm...

Offline arc3371

• Takes no responsibility should anyone try to turn the drawings into plastic...but we will still hold him accountable for the madness that ensues!!!
« Reply #326 on: February 17, 2013, 12:19:11 AM »
Jet biplanes, lovely!

« Reply #327 on: February 17, 2013, 01:42:53 AM »
Great stuff......