Author Topic: This build is to shut Scooterman up! A patrol bomber Spruce Goose. Sort of.....  (Read 15994 times)

Sentinel Chicken

Spruce Goose vibes must be in cosmos.
I have similar Spruce Goose in work right now.
Bill
Any ideas on what you have planned for yours?

Building as 1/72 (all my builds are).  Have B-17 upper fuselage cockpit, turret, thru upper back window worked into-onto Spruce Goose.  Making it 1/72.  Still playing with engine ideas.

Ah! You're doing the Scale-O-Rama thing as well. I look forward to seeing it!

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
As of now have two likely 1/72 engine schemes.
1 > six B-24 engines
2 > four B-24 engines and two jets

Being Spring am spending more time on cars and yard.  Less on models.  Though like to finish P-38 and Spruce Goose based kit-bashes.
P-38 about 80% done.  Spruce Goose about 40% done.
Bill

Sentinel Chicken

Latest progress shots:

I now have four of the six engine nacelles attached to the wing. The inboard nacelles are the inboards from the Minicraft KC-97/Stratocruiser kit and the outboard nacelles will be the middle and outermost engines on this six-engined beast. The innermost nacelles will have a hump-backed appearance on the top surface of the wing while the outer pairs will fair into the wing more smoothly. Why? Because when I did the first nacelle I made a bit of a mistake in cutting up the nacelles from the wing they were molded in.[MasterThespian]IMPROVISATION![/MasterThespian]

Underside shot. I've never built the Minicraft Boeing Stratocruiser/KC-97 kits, but from these nacelles, I'm not terribly impressed and not too broken up that two of these kits are parts donors for this build. Third nacelle from the left is putty-fooed and sanded. The other three have been subject to putty slinging and just waiting for the Squadron White to dry. The last two engine nacelles will go directly between the inner and outermost nacelles.

Close up of one of the innermost nacelle. The bottom half behind the engine itself is molded in two halves, then the engine cowl along with the lower intake is a third piece. The top part of the nacelle I had to cut away from the upper wing part and then whittle away at until I got the shape I wanted. The landing gear doors fit like crap into the nacelle should you want to build the KC-97/377 kit out of the box with the wheels up.

Completed innermost nacelle on the other wing. It may need some touch up sanding, but I'll wait until I do some primer for that. I'll probably add some little extra greeblies like intakes on the nacelle to camouflage some of my ham-fisted sanding work.

Contemplating ditching using the armament from the Minicraft B-29 kit. I'm leaning towards doing this build in the USN three-color Pacific scheme and to use B-29 remote turrets in my mind would call for the all over dark blue scheme. I wish I knew where the hell my old Cobra Company PB4Y Privateer conversion set was, I could use the Erco bow turret on the nose and the those wacky teardrop waist blisters for side gun positions. I may take the waist positions from a Minicraft Catalina kit I have in the stash as an alternative.

Offline finsrin

Idea - the inner engine landing gear doors could be open with a couple bombs or depth charges in each.

Think you have the power right with six 4360 engines when building as 1/144.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Global Moderator
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
Wow!! That is some nice work  :)
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Mr Chicken, may the Putty-Foo be with you.

Actually, it looks like it already is!

Brian da Basher

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
kwyxdxLg5T

Sentinel Chicken

Latest progress shots on my What-If Hughes/Kaiser PBK-1 Tarpon:

Nacelles pretty much completed, this will probably be the most labor intensive part of this build. Lots of putty-sand-repeat-putty-sand-repeat. Never had to do this much PSR on a 1/144 build before. One of the outboard nacelles is out of alignment and I didn't notice it until I shot these pictures. Oh well. It'll look good enough at arm's length. I rattle-bombed it with some dark gray to make it easier on my Mark one eyeballs where some touch up putty-sand-repeat is needed.

Top side view of the wings. I toed out each nacelle slightly figuring this would help with any asymmetric engine conditions.

With the props in place it's looking better. The props came from the Minicraft Pan American Boeing 377 Stratocruiser kit and the Minicraft KC-97 kit. The prop discs believe it or not don't overlap. It was a tight squeeze but the prop discs are also staggered slightly. Were I to do this over again, I'd have put the outermost engine nacelles a bit further out. It was "fun" sanding around the base of the nacelles and not ding the flap actuator fairings which are moulded into the lower wings. Hello, needle files.

Top side view with the props in place, you can better see which engine nacelle is out of alignment. I'm sorta sick of putty-sand-repeat so I'll live with it.

Started work now on the fuselage. Wow, this thing fits like hell. I'll have an easier time fitting a pair of sea urchins into a Speedo. The easiest way is to work from the tail forward in increments and sling Squadron White at any gaps. I may need to use some internal shims to get the forward fuselage to match up. I can assure you that when the time comes to put the wing assembly on, there's gonna be gaps fore and aft of the wings. Some dry fitting out of curiosity tells me I may also need to use some styrene shims to get the wing to sit right on the fuselage.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
"I'll have an easier time fitting a pair of sea urchins into a Speedo."

I nominate this for the line of the week!

I know what you mean about noticing things aren't lined up, Mr Chicken. This seems to happen without fail to me. Still, you managed to camoflage it nicely, I totally understand having one's fill of PSR.

Regardless of any flaws, this project is way impressive!

Go Mr Chicken, go!

Brian da Basher

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
    • SketchUp 3D Warehouse - My Digital Models
"I'll have an easier time fitting a pair of sea urchins into a Speedo."

I nominate this for the line of the week!

I have to second that motion. 

Never imagined that I would see the day where describing a difficult task would involve sea urchins or speedos. 

As for the model, well you seem to have that under control or at least under clamps :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
Started work now on the fuselage. Wow, this thing fits like hell. I'll have an easier time fitting a pair of sea urchins into a Speedo. The easiest way is to work from the tail forward in increments and sling Squadron White at any gaps. I may need to use some internal shims to get the forward fuselage to match up. I can assure you that when the time comes to put the wing assembly on, there's gonna be gaps fore and aft of the wings. Some dry fitting out of curiosity tells me I may also need to use some styrene shims to get the wing to sit right on the fuselage.

I don't remember having all that problem with the HK-1 I built a few years ago SC, and I painted mine all silver too  ---
Mind you, it was the Minicraft kit that I had
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 02:55:09 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline finsrin

Dang nice.  What a wing with those engines.  Right on !
I agree, fuselage is not so "precise" fitting shall we say.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane

fit this assembly this side up & props to the rear !!  (B-36 style :) )  Perhaps a bit late for this model ..... but maybe the next ? .......

Sentinel Chicken

Today's progress:

Got the fuselage finally all buttoned up as best as I could. I found that as I fixed one seam/joint and re-aligned another, it cracked open the seam I just fixed. That's right. Sea urchins in a Speedo. The main problem area topside was above the flight deck. What I did here was to use clamps to hold in position as best possible and then glue a thin sheet of styrene over the area and then slinged putty at it to try and contour it into the fuselage lines as best as possible. When I paint this beast, that's still going to be visible but I sized it so it at least looks like it belongs there. Once it was dried, then I removed the clamps and the area held up nicely.

The second area that was pissing me off was just aft of the step on the underside. Same technique here, I cut a sheet of styrene to fit the area, glued it over the seam and then faired it in with putty as best as could be done. Since this is the underside, I wasn't looking for that styrene sheet to match the whole area, I just needed it to look plausible enough since no one's really going to be looking under there who doesn't want to get kicked in the junk.

No, just kidding about that last part. I haven't had to assault a JMN since my last restraining order at a show, wink-wink.

As you can see from the first two shots there's some work being done on the nose. I found my Cobra Company 1/144 Privateer conversion set- picked this one up back in the 1990s at a place in Maryland called "Nostalgic Plastic" that I think's long closed. I'd used some of the parts years ago on a half-finished conversion of the Minicraft Liberator into a Privateer before I gave up on it. So those teardrop blisters are a lost cause thanks to me being more ham-fisted back years ago but the ERCO nose turret was untouched. I cut away a section of the nose and then filled it in with strips of styrene built up in layers that I'll sand down to recontour the nose to fit the nose turret.

The flight deck transparency fits like hell into the the space in the fuselage. I'll have to do a bris or something to that part of the fuselage to get the transparency to fit, let alone sit right.

I'm thinking of taking the waist blisters from the Minicraft 1/144 Catalina kit to use as waist gun positions on this build in addition to other gun positions.

Offline Brian da Basher

• Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
That's coming along very nicely, Mr Chicken! With six engines, the waist blisters and nose turret, this baby's gonna be a real head-turner!

Brian da Basher