Author Topic: Sunderland TP Amphibian Fire-Bomber  (Read 21459 times)

Offline apophenia

• Patterns? What patterns?
Re: Sunderland TP Amphibian Fire-Bomber
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 06:09:47 AM »
I had thought about the B-24 apop', and the B-17.  I hadn't realized that the engine mounts were the same for a Merlin engine, it's almost as if it was planned as a substitute engine -----

Posing the question: Why was the RB.53 tested in the nose of Lancaster NG465?   ???
"Could be the elves ... But it's probably the werewolf"

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 08:56:18 AM »
because they needed the other 4 to keep flying if the RB53 went u/s.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 04:50:45 AM »
I haven't had much time for modelling lately, extremely busy workwise and doesn't seem to be letting up either.

I have played around with a bit of casting, I wanted a duplicate of the Dakota Dart nacelles so I could chop it around a bit for this project.  The replica turned out quite well and now I've managed to fit it into a wing, along with a prop and exhaust nozzle.

The exhaust nozzles that come with the Dart Dakota conversion are round and poke out the sides of the nacelle and point sort of downwards too but that's not what I wanted to do for this project.  I've seen some cutaway drawings of the Dart engines and some have a rectangular exhaust pipe which snakes itself up and over the top of the wing, it looks a lot like the front nozzle off a Harrier GR.5/AV-8B and as I have a number of those spare because I bought some aftermarket items to replace them, I decided to use them. 

First though I measured the original exhaust nozzles diameter from the conversion and came up with 7mm dia', which translates to 38 square mm's, I then measured a 1/72 Harrier nozzle and found it was way too small, but then a measured a 1/48 Harrier nozzle.  This was 8mm x 5mm which translates to 40 square mm's.  These nozzles come in two parts so I sanded the mating faces down a smidge until I could get 38 square mm's.

Top pic below shows the round exhaust nozzles, next down shows the Harrier front nozzle and the next one is a comparison between the two (keep in mind the Dart conversion is 1/72 scale), and the bottom pic is off the nacelles, the grey one is the original and the light coloured one is my replica.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 08:05:00 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 04:58:03 AM »
Here are a few pics of how I got the nacelles to fit into one of the engine positions on the wing, I had to do quite a bit of cutting & filing but eventually I got it to fit.  You can see here how the exhaust exits over the top of the wing --

I shortened the rear of the new nacelle about 5mm then I drilled out a hole for the exhaust nozzle to fit in (bottom pic), the nozzle is positioned so it would pass over the front spar in the wing.

You can also see where I've modified the wing root so the wing is now how it was originally design as, before Shorts had to move the wing to accommodate the new RAF requirements.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 05:01:22 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 07:52:08 AM »
Now that's some absolutely first-class craftsmanship!

Brian da Basher

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 08:59:37 AM »
I don't belive it  :icon_twisted: -- looks so right !!

Notify MOTAT in N.Z. of this conversion .... they have a Solent & a civil Sunderland just sitting there with the old engines on them ;D

Sentinel Chicken

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 10:49:59 AM »
This will be awesome. Given that I'm working on a flying boat whiff of my own right now, too. Your solution to the exhausts is pretty creative. I'm already visualizing the engine soot across the top of the wing on the finished build.

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Global Moderator
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 10:27:47 PM »
 :-* :-*
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2012, 01:58:51 AM »
This just keeps getting better!!!
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline RussC

• Our own personal dragon trainer...with a flying wing fetish
  • Resident Painter
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 04:33:32 AM »
Coming along nicely.  >:(

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2012, 04:56:57 AM »
Thanks guys ---

Here's some pics of what I'm going to use for landing gear.  They are a set of very nicely cast 1/48 Catalina u/c from Scale Aircraft Conversions.  The wheels which I thought I got from Aeroclub, are actually something I got from Aircraft in Miniature. They're from their 1/72 Manchester kit which has been OOP for quite a while now and I got a set of four to put on my Vickers Windsor but they turned out to be a bit too big for that project.

All I need to do now is figure out how they're supposed to go together as they are a direct replacement for the Revell kit, Greg has said he could help out with a scan of the instructions (gentle reminder Greg -nudge, nudge )

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2012, 07:11:39 AM »
Noted...as soon as I get back home mate.
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Offline buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2012, 02:01:14 PM »
That looks different, but certainly very nice

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2012, 10:40:04 PM »
Here's a pic to show what happens when you swing the wing forward to it's originally designed position, the rear spar (black line about mid-chord) goes from about 2 degrees backwards to 2 degrees forward.

Offline kitnut617

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2012, 10:45:12 PM »
I've also settled on what I want to do with the fin/rudder.  As the new engines are way more powerful (depending on which engines are being compared) I thought it would need more fin area.  My idea was to add a dorsal fillet to the fin, but then I remembered I had a complete fin & rudder left over from another conversion I did some time ago.  I wonder if anyone can figure out what kit it came from -- hint: it was another Airfix kit ---
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:53:17 AM by kitnut617 »