Beyond The Sprues

Modelling => Tips, Tools & Techniques => Topic started by: Frank3k on September 29, 2026, 12:38:49 AM

Title: Ceramic blades/scrapers
Post by: Frank3k on September 29, 2026, 12:38:49 AM
I saw a video of a modeler who used a ceramic scraper to cleanly remove flash on a part. It was impressive, but the fancy Japanese scraper was expensive (about $35, with just one blade).  I have a ceramic strip in my knife sharpening tool. It's bulky, but I used it on some flash and... it worked! So I ordered some ceramic blades from Amazon. One is a set of #11 blades, the other is a blade for the Olfa snappable cutter (both are white ceramic):

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/55555504939_be27f7af85_b.jpg)

The edges are ridiculously sharp and can easily cut/remove flash and cut through plastic with no problem. The blades are fragile, but the results are impressive.
Title: Re: Ceramic blades/scrapers
Post by: Buzzbomb on September 29, 2026, 06:20:43 AM
Have one of these in the kit for a while, yes they do work very well.

SMS here in Aus do these. Here (https://www.scalemodeller.com.au/products/ceramic-scraper)

I have to say though, for the vast majority of the time, putting down a knife, to get the ceramic scraper out to do a small seam line, mostly never happens. I use the knife I have in hand  :-[