Author Topic: FIAT CR.42B Two-Seat Basic Trainer  (Read 2046 times)

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
FIAT CR.42B Two-Seat Basic Trainer
« on: May 19, 2019, 12:00:36 PM »
The FIAT CR.42B (Biposto lit. Two-Seater) was the basic training version of the CR.42 Biplane extensively modified with an elongated two-seat fuselage, empty weight increasing just 40 kg (88.2 lbs) by eliminating lower main landing gear spats & tailwheel fairings well as other weight savings measures, gross weight increasing from 2,295 kg (5,060 lbs) of WWII combat-armed CR.42 single-seaters to 2,300 kg (5,070.6 lbs). Forty existing Regia Aeronautica Italiana (RAI) CR.42 aircraft stationed in Agusta & Caproni Trento Italy were modified to CR.42B standard c.1942-43 retaining their 12.7mm Breda SAFAT machine guns in post September 8, 1943 Armistice Aviazione Cobelligerante Italiana service in southern Italy till 1945, unarmed aircraft serving with the post-WWII Aeronautica Militare Italiana (AMI) some years thereafter.

The 1/72 Scale Italian Kits Wings IKW7218 FIAT CR.42B Resin Conversion Kit designed for utilizing plastic-injected Italeri FIAT CR.42 parts was a very straight-forward build, the port-side fuselage casting rudder unfortunately was off-center but not enough to justify corrective surgery to center it. The IKW7218 kit came with spat-less main landing gear resin strut parts though I already had a set saved from previous Italeri CR.42 kit builds, unfortunately they both were starboard struts so employed the port resin strut for the build.

The IKW7218 kit came with decals depicting the AMI FIAT CR.42B “MM.8572” based in Milan, Italy with the 1st Zona Aera Territoriale in 1946; “MM.8572” was one of 35 FIAT G.50s built for the RAI during spring 1942, whether the AMI recycled it or was speculated upon isn’t known as currently am unable to obtain more information regarding this CR.42B.

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: FIAT CR.42B Two-Seat Basic Trainer
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 12:03:21 PM »
Beautiful build of a pretty little aircraft.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 02:02:48 PM »
Very very cool conversion  8) 8) 8)
Great work, love your finish  8) 8) 8)
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 01:33:02 AM »
That's a beautiful looking little biplane!

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
On Tap...
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 02:38:10 AM »
...the Special Hobby FIAT G.55B Advanced Trainer in post-WWII Aeronautica Militare Italiana "silver bird" livery, kit layout below sans brass detailing parts & water decals:

Modellista Supremo Phillipe Martin's super-detailed Argentinian G.55B build required more building & budget resources never mind time am willing to invest into my build but nevertheless will try to do justice to his. This likely will be my last-ever aircrew trainer model build well as next to last of the G.55, that'll be of a "What If" five 20mm cannon + two 12.7mm machine gun SUPERMODEL kit build this July.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 02:44:43 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
On Tap...Update
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 07:04:55 AM »
...the Special Hobby FIAT G.55B Advanced Trainer in post-WWII Aeronautica Militare Italiana "silver bird" livery, kit layout below sans brass detailing parts & water decals:

Modellista Supremo Phillipe Martin's super-detailed Argentinian G.55B build required more building & budget resources never mind time am willing to invest into my build but nevertheless will try to do justice to his. This likely will be my last-ever aircrew trainer model build well as next to last of the G.55, that'll be of a "What If" five 20mm cannon + two 12.7mm machine gun SUPERMODEL kit build this July.

Fuselage Assembly joined on Main Wing Assembly today May 25th. Painting & assembling detail-rich Fuselage interior took all week, very pleased with results, do wished my other Special Hobby kit build interiors had came out as good! Am hoping to have the build done by Friday the 31st, going out of town on the 1st. There still is the FROG G.55 what-if-er build, getting to it by mid-summer hopefully, meantime waiting for Italian Kits Wings to rerelease their FIAT G.50V resin - the last "FIAT" I'll ever build barring new subject or remastered kit releases.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 07:06:33 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
On Tap...Final Update
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2019, 08:27:03 AM »
...Fuselage Assembly joined on Main Wing Assembly today May 25th. Painting & assembling detail-rich Fuselage interior took all week, very pleased with results, do wished my other Special Hobby kit build interiors had came out as good! Am hoping to have the build done by Friday the 31st, going out of town on the 1st. There still is the FROG G.55 what-if-er build, getting to it by mid-summer hopefully, meantime waiting for Italian Kits Wings to rerelease their FIAT G.50V resin - the last "FIAT" I'll ever build barring new subject or remastered kit releases.

Model is done except for the vacuform cockpit canopies, cutting & painting them tomorrow, watch for photos of build on new discussion thread.