Author Topic: Airwolf 1/48 - "serious" approach :)  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
Airwolf 1/48 - "serious" approach :)
« on: May 04, 2019, 05:03:16 PM »
Hello,

I have all needed kits so I can begin this kitbash :)
At first...What is timeline of Airwolf series? I think it's 1980 or so...so Cold War. Supersonic helicopter during Cold War? No...but very fast helicopter - why not?
So what are our possibilities? What we can use to build very fast chopper around 1980? IMHO - we have everything to do so :)
We have Mi-24 - one of the fastest real choppers, we have A-10 - tank killer and finally, we have Sikorsky RSRA - X-wing project :D
Soooo...front fuselage section with cockpit and gun from A-10, rest from Mi-24, additional jet engines from A-10, main rotor (that can be stopped during fast cruise) from Sikorsky RSRA. And what we will have as a result? Very fast jest chopper , not supersonic but fast enough :)

Now...I assure you...I'll built this beast no matter what...but is my theory above makes any sense? :D

First cuts and fills...
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Airwolf 1/48 - "serious" approach :)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 09:32:46 PM »
It makes a kind of off-the-wall, completely insane Frankensteinian sense, sure. :-\

So, hurry up & let's be seeing it come together! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline taiidantomcat

• Plastic Origamist...and not too shabby with the painting either!
  • Stylishly late...because he was reading comics
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 10:22:45 AM »
Great start!
"They know you can do anything, So the question is, what don't you do?"

-David Fincher

Offline Artoor_K

• On the run from Polish Rivet Counters...
  • Use the power of your dreams!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 04:57:08 AM »
I thought about background story...Welll that's it:

In 1984 , as we all know, there was very popular TV series about supersonic helicopter which crew was completing dangerous missions in different countries, with Cold War in background. This series is cult now, although little cheesy. But do we have to look at it as a kind of science fiction or more like series based on real thing?

We keep asking why development of AH-56 was stopped? Why Sikorsky X-wing was scrapped? What was wrong with design of LHX project before RAH-66?  Lack of funds, technical difficulties and child-age problems were only reasons? No , the reason was different. Why trying to invent something that has been invented already? There is no need to do it, main problem is to connect inventions altogether. But it takes time to nail it…

Between 70 and 80, late evening in march, USAF C-5 transporter landed on Cyprus. After stopping, crew opened ramp and unrecognizable helicopter was loaded. Then C-5 was fueled and took off imediately.  Not many were aware of what just happened. This day NORAD accquired Mi-24. Via number of paper-companies USAF put his hand on one of the fastest choppers in the world. For what? For testing? Indeed. For experiments? Of course, but not only. Mi-24 was acquired for “Company”. Yes, just “Company”  it was only known name of secret R&D unit. It was under command of one man codenamed Gabriel. There is very little known about him. Officialy belonged to NORAD but there was a thesis that he he was co-working with CIA and above him was only president. Still, why “Company” needed Mi-24?

On 1st november 1981 after series of groung and aerial tests with USAF Mi-24 landed near Company’s workshop. It was pulled to hangar to never came out again.
Two days later on Company’s airfield landed an out-of service A-10. This airplane also for last time entered Company’ hangar. Same day documentation of AH-56 Cheyenne and Sikorsky X-wing arrived along with rotorhead and blades for last one. Pretty quaint collection – for what?

It took about 6 months. On 1 May 1982 hangar doors opened and uncanny creation was pulled out. It had front from A-10 with GAU-8 cannon, canopy was from Su-22. Fuselage came from Mi-24 but instead of windows of landing party section there was light composite armor. Engines powering main rotor were directly from Sikorsky X-wing, along with rotor, which could be stopped during flight. Then aircraft used rotor as main wing and behaved like normal airplane. Rotor engines exhaust were removed and placed on “hump” behind transmission. Tail rotor was removed. On fuselage were mounted two A-10 engines . One of them was specifically tuned – in helicopter mode thrust from it was always larger to decrease torque. Residual Mi-24 wings were exchanged for outer sections of A-10 wings. They had more hardpoints and were wider. With grey top and grey-white bottom Company’s creation was more than grotesque. Crew consisted two people , pilot in cockpit , in titan “cocoon”, behind him in fuselage was RIO and WSO seat. For test crew two Vietnam vets were chosen. After system tests half plane-half helicopter took off to hover few feets above ground. Hovering turned out to be like in every normal helicopter. During three-month trials Company’s team conducted whole series of transitions from helicopter mode to airplane mode and inversely in day and night. Weapons tests took place on firing range nearby.  Test crew reported how new aircraft could be improved. One of the worst disadvantages was too small vertical stabilizer. In airplane mode steering was difficult because of delayed reaction for rudder. After redesigning this element crew ceased to complain and started to moderately commend new aircraft. It was beginning of unofficial service. It was used in covert operations when air forces could’t be deployed. Because of high speed and great flight characteristics crew fell in love with new aircraft.

Prototype was named “Skyhound”…but in was known under different one – Airwolf.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 04:58:49 AM by Artoor_K »
Sickening, weakening
Don't let another somber pariah consume your soul
You need strengthening, toughening
It takes a bit of dark to rekindle the fire burning in you
Ignite the fire within you

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 05:48:57 AM »
Looks fantastic! I can’t wait to see it painted up!

Offline ChernayaAkula

• Was left standing in front when everyone else took one step back...
  • Global Moderator
  • Putting the "pro" in procrastination since...?
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 09:19:41 AM »
This is gonna be good.  :smiley:
Cheers,
Moritz

"The appropriate response to reality is to go insane!"