Author Topic: DC Comics "Jigsaw Tank" (28mm - 1/56th scale)  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
DC Comics "Jigsaw Tank" (28mm - 1/56th scale)
« on: October 14, 2020, 04:46:26 AM »
More of a preview, since I won't be able to fiddle with this for at least another month, but a buddy got inspired to 3D print this four-piece model (which reminds me of the old HO scale ROCO Minitanks).

Quarter for scale.

For those of you who may not have been exposed to comic book lore in your youth, have a backstory -

When their latest M3 is destroyed, the crew scavenge spare parts and wreckage from a "tank graveyard" to build themselves a new tank, known as the "Jigsaw Tank", which serves them from that point. This tank has a modified Russian T-34 Hull, a Christie Suspension System and a Russian Y2 12-Cylinder diesel engine of 500 H.P.

Note that others have done this in 1/35th scale.
http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/603690-the-haunted-tank/
http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/3/t/145325.aspx?sortorder=desc&page=2

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
Re: DC Comics "Jigsaw Tank" (28mm - 1/56th scale)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 06:37:30 AM »
Fantastic. 8)

So much fodder in Commando and Battle comics as well. Or the highly entertaining yet improbable Rat Patrol.

Offline arkon

• Paper Building Maestro
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 10:31:36 AM »
Not to threadjack but wasn’t there another comic with a Sherman and some things with General Lee?
the paper gods demand sacrifice

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 11:37:54 AM »
Wow!  Jeb Stuart and his Haunted Tank series.  The Haunted Tank used to be one of my favourite comic books along with Sergeant Rock of Easy Company and Johnny Redcloud flying his Mustang.  I remember reading that particular episode, so long ago. 

***edit for spelling error.--jjf
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 12:22:12 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 01:02:51 AM »
Wow!  Jeb Stuard and his Haunted Tank series.  The Haunted Tank used to be one of my favourite comic books along with Sergeant Rock of Easy Company and Johnny Redcloud flying his Mustang.  I remember reading that particular episode, so long ago.

I used to go to the corner drug store to buy those comics whenever the new issues came out. There was also "Capt. Storm" the PT boat commander with a wooden leg. There was one cover with a Zero attacking his ship and bullets going through his wooden leg. Found it:

This tank looks interesting. The turret looks British.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 01:15:20 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Steve Blazo

• The man likes white plastic...weird.
    • flickr
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 09:23:15 PM »
I have still have some Sgt. Rock and Weird War Stories tucked away in the stash. The Haunted tank looks like a T-34 hull for sure, with a 20 mm in the bow  -  WOW.  I don't think Christie suspensions have return rollers. The turret reminds me of a M-41 walker bulldog. The printed model looks really good too, a lot of potential.
As I walk through the valley of death,
I have no fear, because I am the meanest mother*ucker in the whole valley.
- Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Story

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 05:52:25 AM »
I have still have some Sgt. Rock and Weird War Stories tucked away in the stash. The Haunted tank looks like a T-34 hull for sure, with a 20 mm in the bow  -  WOW.  I don't think Christie suspensions have return rollers. The turret reminds me of a M-41 walker bulldog. The printed model looks really good too, a lot of potential.

Bottom of last illustration, first post.

Same source made some .50 cals
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2733605

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 06:17:38 AM »
How'd they install the vertical springs of a Christie suspension?  ???

Overall it kinda resembles the pre-M18 Hellcat T42 concept, which had a Christie suspenion.

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Story

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 07:11:58 AM »
How'd they install the vertical springs of a Christie suspension?  ???

Artistic license (alongside more contextually specific derivative terms such as poetic license, historical license, dramatic license, narrative license, and creative license) refers to deviation from fact or form for artistic purposes.

I seen influences from the M56 Scorpion in the artists' concept.

The 3D Print model running gear is pure M18 Hellcat, IMO.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 07:15:47 AM by Story »

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 07:21:42 AM »
The comic book suspension is sort of like a combination of M56 and Panzer 38T.

As to defining artistic license, yeah no shit.  ::)
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Story

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 07:29:00 AM »

Overall it kinda resembles the pre-M18 Hellcat T42 concept, which had a Christie suspenion.

Just to muddy the waters, I'd monkeyed with a Lee turret on a T-34/Christie hull (circa 1942 Alternate Timeline) earlier this summer.

Offline Story

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 07:35:19 AM »
All of this hotrodding falls under the shadow of "Big Daddy" Ed Roth

Offline strobez

• Hmmm... That looks easy enough...
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 04:13:00 PM »
Oh, my my my... I need to be in on this one. I haven’t been able to frequent these forums very much lately (a matter of limited time, not desire), but this one drew me back in. I’ve been working on a few DC Comics related projects myself lately... including a Haunted Tank one featuring the M3 Stuart, and a Johnny Cloud, the Navajo Ace P-51 Mustang one.  I’ve got plans to expand it to include both the Jigsaw Tank as well as the M4 Sherman tank.  So I’m loving this project as well!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 04:17:39 PM by strobez »
Thanks!

Greg

Offline Story

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 01:17:03 AM »
So I’m loving this project as well!
Thanks, Strobez! This is on the table to mess with today.

Feel free to add your works-in-progress to this thread.

Update - used Locktite Superglue, need to locate my pin drill to bore out for the radio antenna and .50 cal pedestal.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:40:02 AM by Story »

Offline strobez

• Hmmm... That looks easy enough...
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 11:50:32 AM »
Oh, that looks GREAT! Where did you get this again? I know it's 3D printed, but did you create the STL file yourself?

I'm going for a 1/72 project. I know the turret looks quite a bit like a M42 Walker, but I was having a hard time justifying a $40 kit just to use the turret. So I was kind of humming and hawing over it until I realized I had a Trumpeter M26 Pershing turret in the spares box (left over from a Tintin Moon Tank build project from a few months back).  It's not quite as close as a M42, but makes up for it by being already in the spares. ;).

I was inspired by seeing your project, so I ended up grabbing a Trumpeter T-34 off the shelf, as well as a Trumpeter M4A3 (76) Sherman to complete all three "Haunted Tanks".  Technically the last tank the crew drove as an older M4A1 with a 75mm gun, but in the comics, the turret shape is much more like one with a 76mm gun.  So I compromised and went with the kit that bears the most similarities. Trying to find a "definitive" depiction of either the Jigsaw or the Sherman was a fruitless search - they both look quite different, sometimes from panel to panel let alone issue to issue.

I'm really enjoying my current DC War Comics kick. I'm also working on an Me262 from the Enemy Ace - War in Heaven series. So I'm paying close attention to what's going on here.

Thanks!

Greg

Offline Story

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2021, 02:07:04 PM »
Oh, that looks GREAT! Where did you get this again? I know it's 3D printed, but did you create the STL file yourself?

Buddy sourced the print from here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4609196

Have fun.

Offline Story

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 01:51:55 AM »
While reading up on something else, came across accidental inspiration. Turns out the Germans actually did something similar in concept, although presumably keeping within species.

Tanks which were provided to frontline units were sometimes unfinished or scrapped from few destroyed or damaged vehicles. Sometimes turret, hull, Schürzen, engine and other components were taken from another vehicle each. In that case, no one bothered to unify camouflage of salvaged tank.
https://agtom.eu/en/content/25-pojazdy-niemieckie-z-ii-ws

Huh. So what if the Jigsaw tank was put together so quickly that it never received a complete OD green makeover and the T34 hull was left in some variant of German 'ambush pattern' camo?

Rattle can base layer.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 03:09:01 AM by Story »

Offline Story

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2022, 07:33:28 AM »
It only took a year to find the Stars & Bars included with LINDBERG's Blockade Runner kit and even then, as I understand it that was inappropriate for Naval Use.

Hit it with a dusting of railroad flocking and a coat of flat clear.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2022, 05:45:53 AM »
Remember when you started this, the final result looks good from the 3D print origins.

Flags, as an alternative to a decal,  search Wargaming sites, many of them have flag downloads.
For Example there is this page with a load of CSA flags
https://www.warflag.com/flags/acw/csaclassic.shtml