Author Topic: More IDF  (Read 2452 times)

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
More IDF
« on: January 17, 2018, 12:49:33 PM »
Two models to emerge from my recent modelling binge are an M-113 & M-60 Mag'a'ch.

The IDF M-113 Anti-riot vehicle was a left over hull + sheet plastic roof + spares from my parts bin.  The armour-glass house is the clear top off the box that a toy ring came in (won from a lucky-dip vending machine at the shopping-mall).  Didn’t have the right tracks so used toy items to replicate the all-rubber-band tracks sometimes used by the IDF & Canada etc.  The front tray is from Academy's Zelda kit & grenade launchers are resin AEF Designs items, the zig-zag side-skirts are the steps from the Airfix/Daypol HO railway bridge painted to show the rubber lower section.

The IDF Mag'ach 7c is an old Esci M-60 kit plus a resin conversion from AEF (turret, body armour, side-skirts + acessories).  I replaced the tracks with the Merkava type from a wrecked kit & scratch-built new sprockets to fit them.  Crew figures & turret mg's were added from Academy & Dragon accessory sets.
Many guys on the internet say AEF is pure rubbish in every respect but I’ve always done well with their gear – all it requires is some basic modelling skills.
Of course just as I got stuck in Academy released their all-plastic kit of this tank, Grrrrrr !
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:52:42 PM by raafif »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: More IDF
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 02:26:35 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 05:13:14 AM »
...  Didn’t have the right tracks so used toy items to replicate the all-rubber-band tracks sometimes used by the IDF & Canada etc...

Very nice raafif  :smiley: Those zig-zag skirts on the IDF M113 look excellent! As do the "toy" tracks.

On the latter, the Soucy Defence CRT (Composite Rubber Tracks) require different, polyethylene drive sprockets and idler wheels. Of course, these are really visible on your build. Generally, the CRT sprockets/idlers are not painted ... paint doesn't adhere well to the plastic so the sprockets and idlers are left black.

For anyone looking for Soucy M113 rubber band tracks, Slingshot has them in 1/35th (SSM 35008):
http://www.slingshotmodels.com/2017/08/m113-rubber-band-tracks-ssm-3500-8-set.html

BTW: The "mudguards" included in the Slingshot kit are actually snow scrapers.
Froglord: "... amphibious doom descends ... approach the alter and swear your allegiance to the swamp."

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 09:38:17 PM »
Outstanding raafif! Those armored monsters certainly look every bit the business!

It's great to see you back at the bench and posting again!

Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 10:07:23 PM »
Good work! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."