Author Topic: The swarm of Rashir  (Read 2091 times)

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
The swarm of Rashir
« on: November 04, 2017, 11:08:20 PM »
In  the late fifties, the Kingdom of Rashir in the middle east, was granted Independence from Britain. An arrangement was made for Britain to train the Rashir military, and in the case of the KoRAF in particular, provide leaders, equipment and training.
The king and his two sons had trained at Cranwell and Sandhurst and were quite well up on air craft development.
The King wanted a single fast jet type that was easy to maintain and not be considered a huge threat to the neighbours.  A three way deal was set up with U.K. Rashir and India to provide the Gnat in three basic types.  In 1962 the first model arrived at Rashir city airport for the public to see.
The Brits produced a two seat armed trainer variant which, with 2x30mm cannon and extra underwing mounts could also fill the attack roll.
India built the fighter/interceptor variant with the requested Firestreak adaption arriving in 1963.
Britain provided wing, tail and undercarriage for the fighter/recce model, with India providing the rest and assembly.
The Gnat served until 1983 in the front line, and with spare airframes bought from the U.K. in the late 70s for spares, the trainer carried on until 1988.
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline pigflyer

Re: The swarm of Rashir
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 11:13:09 PM »
18 F/R models were purchased, and 36 of both the other two.  All units were originaly lead by RAF staff on secondment but by 1966 only the two most senior officers were Raf, and this lasted until 1970.

Offline arctic warrior

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 11:36:42 PM »
I love them Rashiri Gnats.  :-*

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 01:20:36 AM »
The orange camo is very nice, while... in which landscape does it work? ;)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 02:23:17 AM »
Beautifully realized Gnat variants!!  I presume the terrain they fly over is a mix of cultivated land amidst desert?  That would explain the camouflage colors chosen.

Offline pigflyer

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 06:20:15 AM »
Thanks chaps,  I see the land scape as desert scrub with built up areas, and the F/R as a low level role, IE, below 500', where the
darker cast works better.

Glad you like the aircraft.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 04:36:29 AM »
Oh my those are quite wonderful, Mr Flyer and I really like those unique markings!

The middle one is a real beauty. It's like if they hired Calder away from Braniff to do camo. Just stunning!

Brian da Basher