Author Topic: The Martin XNR Experimental Night Recon - a Rather Dark Tale in 1/72 Scale  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash

The Martin B-10 was a truly ground-breaking aircraft.

It's no wonder that the U.S. Army Air Corps sought to modify it to fill as many roles as possible.

Some are better remembered than others, but one that has been totally forgotten is the night reconnaissance version.

Dubbed the Martin XNR for eXperimental Night Reconnaissance, the first prototype took to the air late in 1935. The aircraft was originally designed to carry five 37 mm Kodak Klondike Parallax Viewfinder cameras. However, the two upward-facing ones mounted aft of pilot were removed when it turned out nobody wanted pictures of the night sky.

Boasting up-rated engines and new "speed props" with aerodynamic spinners, the aircraft featured a long greenhouse style canopy and a sleeker nose blister. Many consider the XNR to be the fastest looking of all the Martin B-10 variants.

The Martin XNR not only appeared speedy but quite menacing as well in the overall black night camouflage scheme.

After the prototype sailed through trials, it was decided to put the new concept of night reconnaissance to the test by forming a new unit around a batch of 15 aircraft fresh from the Martin factory.

Fortunately the U.S. Army Air Corps found just the right officer to lead the nascent 1st Night Recon Wing, one of proven ability who possessed sterling leadership qualities.

On paper, Major Magoo seemed the right man for the job. However, in practice, it was a different story.

Taking the totally wrong lesson from the reconnaissance failures of the 1934 War Games, Major Magoo decided that surprise and stealth would be the key to the 1st Night Recon Wing's success.

Accordingly, he forbade the use of either parachute flares or the Kodak Klondike Parallax Viewfinder carmeras' powerful electric flashes as he felt this would give away their position. The intelligence gathered suffered accordingly.

This intel was not very useful in either a strategic or tactical sense, but it was also incredibly hard on the photo interpreters, several of whom suffered acute vision loss attempting to get worthwhile data from the 1st Night Recon Wing's photos.

The Air Corps spent far longer than might seem sane attempting to get lemonade out of this lemon, but Major Magoo had powerful allies in the Air Corp's upper echelons and was able to keep his test unit flying.

Finally, after three years of not seeing anything, the 1st Night Recon Wing was disbanded and Major Magoo placed on the retired list.

Due to a lack of surviving documentary evidence, many so-called experts dismiss this aircraft as a poor attempt at gas-lighting but for one brief moment, the Martin XNR held the promise of being more than just a shot in the dark.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 02:56:28 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
This all started with a venerable 1/72 Willams' Bros. Martin B-10 I scored on the cheap a while back. While this kit has been re-issued recently, mine was the old classic.

That box art is hard to beat! I can almost feel the death-defying thrill of the inter-war Air Corps!

The kit itself is pretty simple and the only mods were replacing the kit props with ones from Hurricanes and swapping out the kit nose turret with a nameless vac part and replacing the two kit canopies with a nice long greenhouse from a Special Hobby Soviet Vultee V-11.

If you can find one of these Special Hobby Vultees, you'll be pleased with the bonus of three vac canopies which is why I had an extra for use on this project. The rest of the build as I said was pretty much stock.

The model was painted using the old hairy stick and acrylics, Model Masters Semi-Gloss Black, mostly. The canopy, nose blister and windows were tinted on the inside with Model Masters Semi-Gloss Gray Primer. The prop tips were done with Model Masters Insignia Yellow.

I used the kit's stars-and-meatballs and rudder stripes which behaved amazingly well considering they're over 40 years old. The fuselage codes were leftovers from an almost equally ancient Glencoe Curtiss Condor. Here's a couple of "money shots" with a U.S. penny for scale.

I had a blast building this over the last couple of weeks and I hope you enjoyed it and reading more forgotten aircraft history pulled out of the dark.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:25:35 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline arctic warrior

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
I really love Your snippets from (almost) forgotten aviation history.  :-*  ;D

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
Your research into forgotten aviation niches is tops. :smiley:     
Impressed at the successful parts scrounging to build likeness of Martin XNR.
Yes - That box art is hard to beat!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
I like the long canopy - that way the guy in the back doesn't feel so lonely. Great backstory, too.

here's a cross country flight in a B-10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1bbclaG0w8

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
 :-* I thought at first that this was an invention of a lovely new nose, but the box art showed it was standard, not fantasy. It is a great forgotten shape anyway. And the black colour makes it mysterious and pleasant.

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
Awesomely hilarious, or hilariously awesome?
Either way, it's great!

Alvis 3.1

Offline b29r

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: The Martin XNR Experimental Night Recon - a Rather Dark Tale in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 04:07:20 AM »
Great job Brian!  Really love the way this came together and a terrific story, thanks!

Best regards,
Kem

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 07:49:05 AM »
Beautiful model and backstory; I especially love your choice of squadron commander.

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 05:33:35 AM »
Another winner Sir Brian, and one of your very best back stories.    :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 01:21:33 AM »
Nifty work, Brian - amazing to think that a single engine aircraft would have a green house that would look so good on a twin. How was the build? I've been tempted to pick up a B-10 a time or two.

Get another set of the canopies, and you could build one of these -

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 04:34:05 AM »
I had a blast building this kit and I'm glad you guys enjoyed the result. I think it's been about 25 years since I built one.

Doc, it's a very basic kit certainly not up to modern standards and the amount of flash varies greatly. This one required a fair bit of cleanup but only a little putty was used around the new canopy. If you build it stock, you might not need any putty at all. Interior detail is pretty thin so a tinted canopy is actually a plus. Last time I looked there were plenty for sale on evil-bay. I think I paid $15 for mine.

One advantage is you don't see many B-10s built up so if you finish it, you've got an automatic head-turner. Rumor is the new re-releases have Dutch, Thai and Turkish markings which covers most of the export models.

Brian da Basher