Author Topic: The Polikarpov I-17S Spanish Fly - A Hopping Tale in 1/72 Scale  (Read 3756 times)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash

The Polikarpov Design Bureau has a storied history and produced many aircraft which became iconic. However, one that is utterly forgotten today is the I-17S.

The I-17S was derived from the more famous I-17. Due to problems with the retractable landing gear, the I-17S went into production with a fixed, spatted (yowsa!) undercarriage.

Despite those incredibly sexy spats, the Red Air Force never embraced the I-17S, so the entire production run was sent to Republican Spain. Whether the S stands for Spanish or Spats has been lost over time.

Due to the aircraft's diminutive size, it was often called the "Spanish Fly". One could be forgiven if this moniker brings something completely different to mind.

The first run of 5 aircraft were sent to Spain on three separate ships, two of which were sunk en route, so only one I-17S was actually delivered. Wearing the spurious code 847 in hopes of deceiving onlookers there were over eight hundred of the things, the Spanish Fly entered service in the summer of 1937. This would be fortunate timing indeed as that was exactly when the Fascists decided to attack.

Spain is known for many summer festivals and perhaps the most famous is the Festival of San Fermin, the Running of the Bulls.

Less well known is a similar celebration, the San Amphibian Running of the Bull Frogs.

Not that bull frogs are known for running...

It was at dawn 80 years ago today on August 3rd, 1937, that a Fascist column was spotted headed straight for San Amphibian. The first pilot to get airborne was flying the lone Polikarpov I-17S and he headed towards the enemy with all the speed he could wring out of his small fighter.

Six miles from town, the first elements of Fascist mechanized infantry became visible. With fatal over-confidence, the enemy did not provide its force with any air cover whatsoever, perhaps believing the Republican loyalists would be partying too hard to mount a defense.

The tiny Spanish Fly dove at the enemy column with reckless abandon, using the fighter's 41 m.m. cannon in the propellor hub to good effect. Even though only 11 rounds were carried for this gun, that was enough to completely obliterate the invaders.

The Spanish Fly flew strafing runs after the cannon ammo ran out, using its four 12.6 m.m. machine guns in the wings to rake the Nationalist troops again and again until they were decimated and any survivors on the run.

All that was left were the burned out hulks of Fascist avarice which littered the road to San Amphibian.

The Running of the Bull Frogs went off without a hitch, although some were a little disappointed with the Master of Ceremonies who was hard to hear due to having a frog in his throat.

Still, it could've been much worse.

This would be the only notable action the I-17S Spanish Fly took part in as it was beset by cooling problems, not having been originally designed for Spain's warm climate. The lone I-17S eventually over-heated and consumed its own vitals over Valladolid that September.

Only the first five Spanish Flies were ever produced. While utterly forgotten today, perhaps due to a lack of photographic evidence, for one brief shining moment the I-17S was able to hold the line so that the bull frogs could run hop.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:53:59 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
Re: The Polikarpov I-17S Spanish Fly - A Hopping Tale in 1/72 Scale
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 06:36:02 AM »
This all began with the 1/72 Amodel I-17 I picked up a few years back.

Isn't that box art exciting? I know I was stoked to build this baby but I wanted to save it for something special so I buried it deep in the stash pile, unopened. When the Red Star Soviet GB came up, I dug it out and finally looked at what was inside the box.

I almost wished I'd never opened it. The sprues in this pic I found on the net are molded far more cleanly than mine were. Luckily for all involved, I couldn't find enough time to fit this in for the Red Star Soviet GB. However, I shifted my perspective a bit and started to think of it like a short-fun short-run kit and approached it accordingly. Mostly that meant lots of parts cleanup and PSR.

I knew it was going to get spats, so Tamiya putty saved the day on the underside.

I found a set of white metal Aeroclub Miles Master spats and while they have beautiful curves, they're too small to work on most aircraft. Except the diminutive I-17 I hope.

The tail wheel was made from a nib of round sprue stuck on the end of the tail skid which I sanded down and added a back brace to. The prop is spare from a P-39 that shed 2 of its 4 blades.

Not very exciting without paint...

Since the kit didn't come with decals, options were open. Spanish Republican colors seemed a good match.

The model was painted with the old hairy stick and a lot of Model Masters acrylics, OD and Insignia Red mostly.

Model Masters Cockpit Interior Black was used on the nose and the tires and Polly Scale Light Blue was used on the undersides. Polly Scale PA RR Maroon and Model Masters Insignia Yellow and Red were used on the rudder stripes which were done free-hand. Here's a couple of shots with a U.S. penny included for scale.

For a 1/72 war bird, this is a puny plane!

Here's a couple of pictures that show off that amazingly streamlined, spatted landing gear.

I figured you'd want a good look at those hotties.

I spent about a week building the model and then almost another week painting it. Spare time has been scarce lately...

Oh and one thing to keep in mind if you build this rough kit is that you're on your own for giving the belly cooler an inlet. Mine was painted by hand after a couple of stiff bracers.

I had a lot of fun building the I-17S even if I still don't know if the S stands for Spanish or Spats...

Speaking of spats, here's a last look at those wonders. These pics also show the difference between having the flash off and being forced.

I hope you enjoyed the I-17S Spanish Fly and reading about a forgotten aircraft that got leap-frogged by rapidly changing technology.

Brian da Basher
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:17:59 AM by Brian da Basher »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 06:40:22 AM »
Beautifully built and painted with a fascinating back story added.  Bravo!!

IIRC, the I-17 was 'bout the only liquid-cooled aircraft Polikarpov built.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 10:00:44 AM »
Awesome little plane!

Extra points for tackling an AModel kit. They are never easy.

Is Francisco Franco STILL dead?

Offline Tophe

• He sees things in double...
  • twin-boom & asymmetric fan
    • my models
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 02:21:59 PM »
Unusual & nice, and harmonious with those spats! :-*

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 03:02:46 AM »
No Pasarán!  Beautiful build and a great concept, Brian  :smiley:

Is Francisco Franco STILL dead?

It's been 15,233 days and Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead!
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Camthalion

• The man has done a pink tank...need we say more?!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 05:39:04 AM »
very nice build

Offline pigflyer

• If reality is real, give me whatif. Really?
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 03:43:01 AM »
The usual high standard of build, finish and back story expected from Mr D B.  Do we know if the canon slowed her down when fired?

:icon_alabanza:  :smiley:  :icon_alabanza:
If I don't plan it, it can't go wrong!

If it's great, I did it. If it's naff, I found it.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 06:06:01 AM »
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for this build.

Yet more magic from Dr. Brian.   :smiley:
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 08:47:24 AM »
That's one cool little warbird, Brian!

With all those frogs around? Geez man, that's just crazy! ;D

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 09:42:09 AM »
That's one cool little warbird, Brian!

With all those frogs around? Geez man, that's just crazy! ;D

You mean these two guys? 
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...