Author Topic: Steampunk armoured car  (Read 19346 times)

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
Steampunk armoured car
« on: April 26, 2017, 12:45:40 AM »
Hallo friends,
I know I am not too often on BTS, but from time to time I take a break from my WW1 world and try to model something good for our forum.

Some time ago I bought from e-bay three Testors "Salt flat racers":

As many of you could know the series is made up of 4 cars, but the fourth car

(Red Alky Saltzer, as can be seen from the back of the box) is not available around the web at least at a price worth the quality of these ultra basic kits.

Here some details:

The three instructions leaflets

Zoom on one (the others are exactly the same)

Here is the content of the three boxes:

As you can see there are a few pieces and more than kits, this reminds me a "blank page" on which everything is possible...

Antonio

Offline andonio64

Re: Steampunk armoured car
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 01:02:08 AM »
As the title of this thread suggests I decided to use this material to make a Steam Punk "armoured car"...
 :o

In a flea market I found this broken toy car for 3 Euros, here I sectioned it on my surgical table:

Then I started working on the wheels, those supplied by the kit are too thin and are empty on their inner face, so I decided to glue 2 wheels "back-to-back" to make a full wheel, also I removed the center of the wheel rim to replace it with some buttons I found on an online shop:

Painted the inner part of the tire and the inner face of the wheel rim, then I painted gold the external rim...

After in my spares box I found these different cogwheels:

and here is the final results, the wheels are approved!

I want the wheels to be seen and to come out of the car profile, so I traced the path to cut:

In the last picture you can see the windshield I obtained from a decoration of the toy car shown above, I pierced the squares and will fill them with "glass"

End of post 2...

Thanks for watching

Antonio

Offline andonio64

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 01:12:23 AM »
Post 3!

Here is a rough sketch of what I have in mind
and below is an idea I had today of a mechanism  to move 2 wings I decided to put on the car:

Well they won't ove actually but in my fantasy they can...

Here is the (provisional) location of the wings:

To arm the rear part of the vehicle I imagined a spring mechanism to launch arrows

On the front of the car two cannons:

On the purple disc between the cannons there will be a face decal :

An aileron will stabilize the car and a lamp will light the dark!

Last but not least there will be an engine just behind the purple disc and many other decorations... exhaust tubes, golden ornaments...

That's all for now!!!

Thanks for your attention

Antonio

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:22:04 AM »
Ta daaa... fantastic work so far

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 05:57:35 PM »
This looks like it's going to be good! :D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 07:10:05 PM »
Those kits seem like a great blank canvas for creativity! I'll be checking in on this to see how it all develops. Looking good so far!

Offline andonio64

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 07:39:38 PM »
Thanks guys, I hope to be able to meet your expectations!  ;)

Offline andonio64

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 07:51:32 PM »

@Brian, maybe I was wrong putting this build in "Land" and maybe it should go under "Scifi and Fantasy"?
If so feel free to move it...

Thanks

Antonio

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 06:41:55 AM »
This is fantastic and fits right in under Land if you ask me.

Great to see you posting again and please feel free to post your other work, reality based or not (we welcome all!).

Brian da Basher

Offline andonio64

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 03:13:10 PM »
This is fantastic and fits right in under Land if you ask me.

Great to see you posting again and please feel free to post your other work, reality based or not (we welcome all!).

Brian da Basher

Thank you Brian, yes I was asking your advice about the right place for my WIP... it's OK to leave it here.

Thanks also for the invitation to post the other builds here, I will do it from my next "real" project. As said above my preferred subjects are WW1 planes, floatplanes (especially the Schneider Cup period) and anything fantasy suggests to my mind...  ;)

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 09:59:04 AM »
W.W. I is one of my areas of interest and there's others here that share it too.

Will be most interested in seeing more of your work, especially if you build an Ansaldo S.VA. Would like to see it done right before I muck up the ones in my stash.
 ;D ;D ;D
Brian da Basher

Offline 35th-scale

• On first name terms with someone called Nathan...
  • I wonder what scale he builds in???
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 11:33:44 PM »
Great job on the wheels. Will be interesting to see this come together. 

Offline andonio64

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 01:16:04 PM »
Thanks guys, your comments are much appreciated.
Brian, I have built 2 SVA 5 up to now, I can show the results somewhere, would the Physical Models / Aero-space section be OK even if they are not imaginary works?
My projects and built planes bythe way can be found on Scalemates just search for my nickname.

Here are a few new things on this project:

After cutting the body to make room for the wheels I worked on the axle shafts (the yellow one is one original piece):

I applied some plasticard pipes on the pins to glue the axles in a lower position and have the wheels someway centered in the side openings I just created:

Looking at these photos I realize the the body should be lowered a bit towards the wheels and I need to ad some plastic under the body to lower the profile towards the road level.

Thanks for watching!

Antonio

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 01:52:38 PM »
Lovely Antonio.  :)

Yes, real world projects are as welcome here as imaginary, so feel free to post
your Ansaldos, I look forward to seeing them, long one of my favourite aircraft.

:icon_fsm:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline andonio64

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 03:26:54 PM »
Thanks jcf, I will post some pics in the next days or later today...

By the way... what's the story behind this model?

Gunilla: a dystopian tale

OK guys, as everybody knows, in a not too distant future, a more a more individualist mankind hailed violent sports letting down usual, fair-played competitions.
Races where everything was allowed, even killing, or seriously hurting the opponents became more and more popular and special areas were designed to host those competitions, where people could safely watch their counterparts killing each other just to win.

The bleachers were safe from risks coming from the track but people supporting different competitors used to attack each other often losing interest in the races they were watching.
Even the media broadcasting the competitions often had a parallel channel where clashes between opposite supporters were shown and commented.

Police was there just to ensure those fights did not cause any damage to the sport facility or to VIPS and politicians watching the event.

This sport was organized in Associations:
NLRSA - No Limits Rollerball Sporting Association (races among armed skaters on roller skates shooting or kniving each other)
NLCRA - No Limits Car Racing Association (races among any kind of terrestrial armed vehicle with 4  wheels or more)
MNLRA - Motorcycle No Limits Race Association (races among armed motorbikes of any kind)
ANLRA - Aircraft No Limits Race Association (armed aircraft races)
NLSRA -  No Limits Sea Race Association (sea vehicles)

In all those sports there are no categories, no distinction in either age or sex, the player can use anything s/he is able to put on the track.

All the Associations but the RGSA organize two kinds of competitions, races in closed circuits and "geographical" races, where a start point, some check points and a final point are defined, anything can happen in between.

The Global No Limit Racing Federation (the federation gathering all the single disciplines) is studying the possibility to organize a Space No Limit Race Association for space crafts.

The vehicle I am building is the "Gunilla" Teslamobile of the famous pilot Arrhenius (it's a pseudonym, nobody knows his real identity), one of the most victorious NLCRA champions.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:41:52 PM by andonio64 »

Offline andonio64

Gunilla No-Limit Racing vehicle
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 04:06:23 PM »
Hallo, some new plastic has been shaped, sanded and glued to the Gunilla Project:

I have shortened the axle supports to get the wheels a bit closer to the car body, just a couple of millimetres.

I then tok an old piece of a Mercedes model I found somewhere in the scrap box and used it to lower the profile of the car body on the forward side. The yellow piece is from the Testor's kit and I cut the air intake from it:

The gray piece had to be sectioned to adapt it to the car width...

I used 2 small photoetched parts to simulate a couple of small lights.
Here is how the front part looks now

The central section is not glued, it looks like a hatch, so I'll decide later if I'll leave it open but I still don't know which weapon could come out of it, maybe some squid tentacles??? I'll think about it while working on other pieces ...

I glued a transparent red plastic behind the photoetched parts

Here is the bottom view

This is the back

That's all the work I have done so far!

Thanks for your attention guys!

AnDonio

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 06:17:27 PM »
 :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 05:14:08 PM »
That's coming along very nicely!

Your mods look like a million bucks!

Brian da Basher

Offline andonio64

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 05:47:24 PM »
Thanks Brian and OW.

Yesterday I started shaping a piece to complete the shape of the body on the back end. I found a small plastic box in my scrap pieces repository and started to cut away two corners that seem to fit well enough beneath the car, but it is a _very_ hard plastic and was so hard to cut the first corner.
Will try to cut the opposite corner tonight.

Antonio

Offline andonio64

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2017, 12:25:50 AM »
A new step on the Gunilla:
to complete the lowered profile of the car body I found this plastic box in my scrap pieces repository :

Yes, one of the shorter sides is curved, but once cut and put in place nothing will show of this difference.

I marked in red the part to remove to create the right joint

To glue those two pieces I had to glue also the tube that will support the spiral with the twin arrows

left side

right side

back view

Thanks for the attention

AnDonio

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:43:43 PM by andonio64 »

Offline andonio64

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 03:10:44 PM »
Hallo mates, yesterday I built the front compartment:

Then I found some tentacles in my scrap box, coming from some gift found in some mini Easter egg... and I fastened them on the back wall of the compartment:

Here is how it should look in the end, the back wall with tentacles and the hatch were not glued.
I need to get rid of the extractor marks visible on the hatch.

Thanks for looking

AnDonio

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 10:47:42 PM »
OK, so there's an alien under the bonnet! 8)

Offline andonio64

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 01:02:19 AM »
OK, so there's an alien under the bonnet! 8)

@OW... nobody knows, probably it's a mechanic simulation, maybe it's a real living creature... it grasps the car preceeding Gunilla during the race and gets dragged for a while, slowing down the competitor so that Arrhenius has time to decide what to do with him / her.

But let's advance a bit:
at the end of the afternoon session (today is holiday in my town) this is te state of the art:

All the pieces are only laid at their places, they are too many now and it's as difficult as a house of cards to keep everything in the right position while putting another piece...

Of course everything will be duly painted using a lot of copper and brass...

The cannons are not glued but their support is fixed to the car body.

The front hatch was hold in place by low tack adhesive tape but in the end the tack was too low and it fell while putting on the cannons
The lights are totally scratch built and a couple of red beads plays the role oft the bulbs.

I added fishnet stockings to the tentacles compartment...

A few electric wires...

And for today that's really all!

Thanks for watching

AnDonio
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 04:07:35 AM by andonio64 »

Offline Brian da Basher

• Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2017, 02:42:36 AM »
I'm very much enjoying the play-by-play and your additions/modifications are a pure delight!

Brian da Basher

Offline andonio64

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »
Thank you Brian, I noticed one of the cannons has lost the "ball" on the breech, so I ordered 2 new cannons, a bit smaller, I will show them later during the weekend.

I am now working at the cockpit.

Thanks

Antonio
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:43:38 PM by andonio64 »