Author Topic: Vickers Medium Tank Ideas and Inspirations  (Read 4712 times)

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
Vickers Medium Tank Ideas and Inspirations
« on: January 08, 2017, 10:22:42 PM »
Now there is a mainstream injected plastic kit of the subject I thought maybe it was time to start a topic on it.

For starters I noticed it is a similar size to the US M-2 Medium though lighter, different drive train configuration and less powerful, this leads to my speculation of a rearranged version with a casemate 3" gun.

Maybe something simple, a more powerful engine and better armour.

Online Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
Re: Vickers Medium Tank Ideas and Inspirations
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 01:23:19 AM »
The Vickers Medium Tank Mk. II reminds me a bit of the M113. The Vickers is slightly larger in all dimensions. Take the turret off, modify the rear doors slightly and it's a fairly well protected WWII APC. The Vickers was used as a command tank (I wonder if that will be a future boxing) so it's not too far-fetched:

(from http://www.alternativefinland.com/british-tanks-inter-war-decades/ )

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 10:19:50 AM »
Now that is a good idea, an uprated engine and improved suspension to produce an APC.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 04:48:22 PM »
Going for improved period suspension, would we be looking at Christie? ???
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Online Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 03:28:50 AM »

That was my first thought, too - but the spring boxes for the suspension would have to be on the outside. It would probably widen the take a bit.

Kit wise, it would take the Hobby Boss kit and a Zvezda BT-5/BT-7/T-26 kit, with the added advantage that the kits are cheap and the hull sidewalls are separate.

If you want to go all British, a Bronco Cruiser or Tetrarch  or an Italeri Crusader Mk I

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 06:26:27 AM »
Dragon, Heavy Mark I.  ;D
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 08:28:54 AM »

That was my first thought, too - but the spring boxes for the suspension would have to be on the outside. It would probably widen the take (tank) a bit.

I don't think the boxes would have to be outside the hull but the hull would need to be widened to incorporate them; however, would that be a bad thing? ???

It'd give a bit more stability &, putting the troop seats over the suspension boxes, you'd have more available floor space at least.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 12:28:01 PM »

That was my first thought, too - but the spring boxes for the suspension would have to be on the outside. It would probably widen the take (tank) a bit.

I don't think the boxes would have to be outside the hull but the hull would need to be widened to incorporate them; however, would that be a bad thing? ???

Perhaps from a strategic mobility aspect.  Remember, whatever you design must fit within the British rail gauge, which is narrower than the American or Australian one.  Otherwise, it's going to have a long, long, slow journey on it's own tracks to fight the enemy...

It'd give a bit more stability &, putting the troop seats over the suspension boxes, you'd have more available floor space at least.

How about doing that anyway, with a narrower hull?   Mmmm, an A9 APC?

Online Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 01:15:57 PM »

The typical Christie suspension springs are pretty big boxes, so I thought it would make the inside of the APC less crowded if they were on the outside. I don't think it would be a bad thing, just possibly more work for the engineers. (see this air-conditioned T-34):

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 04:29:08 PM »
I seem to recall that the T-34 was atypical in having vertical spring boxes, whereas most were horizontal or near horizontal.

Also, the Vickers tank, being much smaller & lighter, wouldn't need units quite that massive, I wouldn't think.

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 02:56:47 AM »
A couple of interior layout references:

“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”