Author Topic: Kiwi Resin  (Read 10222 times)

Online GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Kiwi Resin
« on: August 15, 2015, 04:23:36 AM »
See here:  http://www.kiwiresin.com

One new kit coming is a 1/48 MD520N NOTAR conversion:

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline raafif

• Is formally accused of doing nasty things to DC-3s...and officially our first whiffing zombie
  • Whiffing Insane
Re: Kiwi Resin
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 04:57:48 AM »
I was just thinking of the NOTAR yesterday ... is the MD-500 the only heli to use it so far ?

I'm sure it's cheaper to build than the drive-shafts, gear-box etc of a tail-rotor equipped bird but how good would it be for large choppers like the Mi-26 ???
Surprised the Russians haven't tried it what with all their exotic metals.

What's your call on that, Evan ?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:46:31 AM by raafif »

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 07:12:54 AM »
I suspect that the fan and ductwork gets prohibitive for something really large like the Mi-26.  What I'd love to see a study on would be combining the NOTAR fan flow with the engine exhausts to usefully reduce the IR signature of a helicopter.  Sikorsky has an upturned exhaust on late-model Black Hawks and I suspect Bell has experimented with something similar but that just diverts the engine exhaust; combining the exhaust with the fan flow in that way would get useful work out of it.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 02:41:00 AM »
I was just thinking of the NOTAR yesterday ... is the MD-500 the only heli to use it so far ?

Apart from experimental trials, the NOTAR system was used on the following:

MD520N:

MD600N:

MD900N:

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 11:16:38 AM »
I suspect that the fan and ductwork gets prohibitive for something really large like the Mi-26.  What I'd love to see a study on would be combining the NOTAR fan flow with the engine exhausts to usefully reduce the IR signature of a helicopter.  Sikorsky has an upturned exhaust on late-model Black Hawks and I suspect Bell has experimented with something similar but that just diverts the engine exhaust; combining the exhaust with the fan flow in that way would get useful work out of it.

I think it depends on where the exit is from the NOTAR.  On those choppers with rear ingress/degress, having a hot exhaust screaming out next to where you exit is not a good idea.   On those without it, I don't think it would make that much difference.  Personally, I've always liked the fenestron tail rotor.  Keeps it out of the way and prevents accidents.   I've never particularly liked the Blackhawk system but that is more about where you exit the cabins when they are carrying long range tanks (towards the rear).  Goes against too many years of training that you always exit to the 2 o'clock/10 o'clock positions from the main cabin to avoid the tail rotor.

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 07:46:03 PM »

I think it depends on where the exit is from the NOTAR.  On those choppers with rear ingress/degress, having a hot exhaust screaming out next to where you exit is not a good idea.   On those without it, I don't think it would make that much difference.  Personally, I've always liked the fenestron tail rotor.  Keeps it out of the way and prevents accidents.   I've never particularly liked the Blackhawk system but that is more about where you exit the cabins when they are carrying long range tanks (towards the rear).  Goes against too many years of training that you always exit to the 2 o'clock/10 o'clock positions from the main cabin to avoid the tail rotor.
I can appreciate that.  However, the location of the ESSS wings and external tanks on the Black Hawk are dictated by the need to tie into beefy structure, in this case the same structure that the main gear ties into.  I agree, the fenestron makes a lot of sense, I was just thinking how to reduce the signature of a helicopter with NOTAR for survivability purposes.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 08:16:54 PM »

The thing I remember with the Blackhawk was we were told to stay in close because the rotors could cut very close to the ground while the UH-1 was the opposite and you had to get a fair distance out before going to ground in case it bounced and the skids landed on troops legs.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 05:39:53 AM »
1/72 and 1/48 copies of Cessna Grand Caravan being worked upon.  Should be a welcome addition.  May not even be resin but injected plastic

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 08:29:33 AM »
Available now:

And being worked upon:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 08:50:30 AM »
1/48 AQM-34 can be 1/72 fighter/racer !

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 09:12:35 AM »
I keep thinking that Cavalier conversion would look good applied to a P-51B/C.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 06:21:07 AM »
Just released: 1/48 Vought RF-8 Crusader conversion

This is a vac form conversion for the Esci F-8, however with careful modification it may also suit the Monogram and Hasegawa kits.
Also included are 2 x Falcon Clear vax F-8 canopies

Buy it here: http://www.kiwiresin.com/148-resin-kits-and-conversions
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 06:39:17 PM »
Highlights from the April News email from Dave Lochead.

That being said, I am re molding and re-issuing several of our kits in the next week or so as follows:
1/72 Percival Vega Gull
1/72 A-12 OXCART conversion
1/72 De Havilland Fox Moth
1/144 D-21 Drone

1/72 Injection molded CT4E
Yes, Injection molded plastic! I have been working on the molds for the CT4A/B for jays models, and will be releasing my own kit of the CT4E in the very near future.

Outstanding 1/48 RF-8 orders
I have several customers waiting for RF8 kits, and several bounced back emails. If you are waiting please be patient, i have ordered more stock and ceased selling the kits until all orders outstanding are filled.

Webstore is here: http://www.kiwiresin.com/

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 02:06:27 AM »

1/72 Injection molded CT4E
Yes, Injection molded plastic! I have been working on the molds for the CT4A/B for jays models, and will be releasing my own kit of the CT4E in the very near future.

I would really like this in 1/48

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 11:43:14 AM »
I'd love a CT/4A in 1/48. It's such a tiny aircraft that 1/72 will be a challenge.

Last time I suggested a subject to Dave he said he'd do it if I made the masters....so feel free to build a 1/48 Airtrainer and send it his way!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 06:55:37 PM »
From Dave's May email.

1/32 Heinkel Julia, Currently on hold while I try and find a more affordable 3d print company for the masters, if you are interested in the possibility of pre ordering this kit, email me.
skygodnz@clear.net.nz

I have recently completed making an epoxy injection mold for a fellow Kiwi model business, and I am currently working on the masters for the 1/72 Macchi 339C versions.
While the parts I am working on are the fuselage components, I hope to acquire Italeri donor kits to offer a full kit including decals.

Boxings will be:
Royal New Zealand Air Force
Draken International ( U.S.A )
Italian and International
Italian Air Force
Eritrean Air Force
Malaysian Air Force

1/72 Fox Moth. A retool of a favorite kit now available. Contains Resin, plastic strut and clear sheet

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 11:52:35 PM »
P.1077 would make a nice WHIF air-launched ASM/AGM.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2017, 06:48:13 PM »
From Dave's June KIWI MODELS Newsletter.  As we move toward injection molding, I guess we can No longer be called KiwiResin :-)

1/72 Injection molded full fuselage conversions for the Macchi 339C with markings for RNZAF and Draken international (USA) Adversary aircraft

Coming soon! 1/72 Macchi 339C Italy and International  injection molded fuselage with decals for Italy, Malaysia and Eritrean Air Forces

Coming soon! 1/72 At-16 and Harvard 11B conversions. Replacement injection molded fuselage and Falcon Canopies, with decals

Coming soon!1/72 T-37 Tweet! injection molded! Currently in the early stages of preperation

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 02:25:48 AM »
Dave from Kiwi Resins is planning to releases an injection molded Yak-11 Czechmate.

They are modifying the CAD components for Czechmate in order to injection mold the kit in plastic.

In order to make this happen he has set up a kickstarter page where customers can pledge to buy the model at a reduced price as part of the kickstarter campaign.  You can go there and add your support by clicking on the image below.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 04:20:01 AM by GTX_Admin »

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 03:16:23 AM »
Kiwi Resins need more backers for the above project.  Come on, you know you want to!!

Offline jcf

• Global Moderator
  • Turn that Gila-copter down!
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 04:29:15 AM »
No, I don't, Czechmate is meh.  :icon_zombie: :icon_fsm:
“Conspiracy theory’s got to be simple.
Sense doesn’t come into it. People are
more scared of how complicated shit
actually is than they ever are about
whatever’s supposed to be behind the
conspiracy.”
-The Peripheral, William Gibson 2014

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 07:41:44 AM »
That propeller and spinner would be nice to have available as a separate purchase item.  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 11:49:56 AM »
I'm more excited at Dave's tease of 1/48 and 1/32 BD-5s!!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Online GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 02:53:04 AM »
I'm more excited at Dave's tease of 1/48 and 1/32 BD-5s!!

Yes, a 1/48 BD-5 would also be interesting.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 06:24:18 PM »
September newsletter is available here: http://shoutout.wix.com/so/3Lw3plN0?cid=ce640505-c186-4cb4-a8ef-1c9f0583c6de#/main

Oxcarts. We are quietly working on a 1/72 Oxcart, this is a full kit, not a conversion. I just hope the injection machine handles the size