Author Topic: HMBLT - the Build  (Read 49764 times)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: HMBLT - the Build
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2016, 05:25:34 PM »
Sandpaper & touch-ups! ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2016, 10:11:46 PM »
Well, a major fail with my hinges, :icon_crap: so I've ordered some Aber & Voyager workable hinges to see how they go. ???

In the meantime, I have 24 resin weighted wheels for AFV Club Strykers which I'll have to modify to suit my Trumpeter Stryker-based build(s).

It's a lot of resin to be worked on, when you pile it up in front of you. :-\
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2016, 05:00:20 PM »
OK, so after three & a half years & more wheel fit-tests than I care to remember, I try out my resin wheels only to see;

:o :o :o :o :o

So, I now have the lid off the guard-van/caboose & I'm planning major surgery to shift the central access hatch section 0.5 cm forward of its current position. Modifying the bins at the rear is minor surgery.

Talk about embarrassing! :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2016, 06:11:04 PM »
What is this testing thing you talk of ?
This sort of thing happens to me all the time. Far easier to just alter the model than test fit.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2016, 07:41:17 PM »
Oh, yeah! Real easy! ::)

Where I started;

This is where I'm up to now;

Work is continuing.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2016, 11:43:50 PM »
Good progress, for me - where I'm up to;

Now, time to go to bed!

:)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2016, 06:24:32 AM »
Of course there was always the option of lengthening the suspension to make the body ride higher. A 2cm extension would have cleared the both obstructions.

Sort of like the truck stuck under the bridge thing, where the engineers are looking at ways to raise the bridge whilst the mechanic just lets the tyres down.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2016, 07:45:04 AM »
No-o, I don't think so, Brian.

Although, I was (for a moment) sorely tempted to follow a suggestion from Zenrat on WhatIf to slap on some corrugated reactive armour & paint it Colourbond River Gum.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2016, 09:27:39 AM »
Interior is toooo good and I can't knit -- Oh my, what to do now ?  :-\

Offline apophenia

• Perversely enjoys removing backgrounds.
  • Patterns? What patterns?
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2016, 09:30:20 AM »
Yep, we feel your pain on the resin wheel fit ... but at least we got another goosey at that fabulous interior out of the deal  ;)
"It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes." - Agent Rogersz

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2016, 10:16:09 AM »
OK, still progressing at a fairly good rate (for me).

Looking much better;

Still work to do, gaps to fill & dirtying-up on the inside;

And, of course, PSR!

RDO's are over & back to work for the next 7 days, so progress will undoubtedly slow right down, now, but I hope to be finished the fix-up by the next round of RDO's & be able to return to the cargo trailer - coz the hinges have arrived & impressive they are (& impressively daunting, too, for someone who has done so little PE work).

:))

Offline Rickshaw

• "Of course, I could be talking out of my hat"
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2016, 06:10:44 PM »
As an alternative to PE hinges, you might like to try using Dolls' House hinges.  They are small and just about the right size for 1/35 work.

Have a look here:  http://www.phoenixmodeldevelopments.com/acatalog/The_Phoenix_Miniature_Hinge_Range.html

I have used them on several models and they work rather well. 

Offline finsrin

« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2016, 07:06:10 PM »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2016, 09:11:01 PM »
Thanks, guys, but I've gotta learn sometime & now's as good a time as any. ;)

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2016, 07:16:58 AM »
Well that looks whizzer !
Those wheels really do pop

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2016, 08:03:35 PM »
OK, no wheel pic's, that hasn't changed but the inside has ... a bit.

The outside - not quite finished cleaning it up, that can happen over time, now;

Overviews or the inside as it is now;

For those of you who are so inclined - close-ups of the interior;

You may notice that the interior is a little messy, this was as a result of trying to blend the new bits with the old bits.
Not entirely successful but good enough for me, assisted by a misting of very3 diluted Tamiya XF-57 Buff & A MIG-064 Earth Brown overall.

The roof is back on (& in need of filler at the ends), all the masking is out of the hatchways, as I'll be using the hatches to block them from now on & I'll be finishing off the fiddly bits as I pause for glue & paint to dry on the cargo trailer.

Entering the final stages, gents!

:D

(Maybe you'll get to see it finished in a month or so. :-\ )

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2016, 01:03:43 AM »
That interior is just awesome!

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2016, 02:40:27 AM »

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2016, 06:01:57 AM »
Thanks, gents! :icon_alabanza:

Offline Buzzbomb

• Club and my stuff site
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2016, 06:23:14 AM »
agreed the interior is fabulous, now how do you show that off ?

Love the detail, the Aussie Post logo on the bag is great, nice touch. Plus it would probably get there quicker than AustPost could manage anyway

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2016, 06:57:26 AM »
Thanks, BT! :)

Viewing access will be via 2 open hatches in the roof, open side hatch &, of course, open rear hatch.

Most of the detail isn't really up to close scrutiny standards but is good for limited-access viewing as planned.

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2016, 08:05:26 AM »
Coming along very well indeed ole' Wombat!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
What colour scheme? Not just boring old sand grey I hope :icon_meditation:
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline finsrin

« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2016, 08:53:33 AM »
How the heck do you get it to look "used" in that way. ???
Since I can't turn to knitting (don't know how), gotta make another appointment with the shrink !

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2016, 09:43:27 AM »
How the heck do you get it to look "used" in that way. ???

My method tends to involve being a shite modeller. ;D

In this instance;
Multiple layers of washes & dry brushing (some with pencil "lead", I seem to recall). Then, several years later, you find an error in your part-finished build & try to fix it. Being lazy (as well as shite), you don't remove all the internal equipment & fittings, adding in "repair" patches instead of new decking & patching gaps. You then, knowing full-well it won't work, try to match the weathering/wear on the new bits. It doesn't work. So, you try cleaning off the old weathering (& the new) in order to start from scratch, this doesn't work either (Surprise! Surprise!). So, you cover over everything you don't want weathered the same as the vehicle (stores, etc.), grab out the airbrush & spray the whole lot with Tamiya buff (mixed about 2 drops of paint to an airbrush cup of methylated spirits (it dries really fast), letting it dry between each pass, until you're moderately happy with the result. Next, you do the same with MIG earth brown. Finally, take off the "masking" (I used cling wrap) & give everything another quick overspray with buff to tone it down a notch.

Simples! ;)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2016, 09:29:23 AM »
Real life has been interfering, again, but still not much progress for a lot of work.

Hinges have been a real PITA! :icon_twisted:

Anyway the centre section in the photo's is complete (except for bolts), the end sections still need their appliqué armour.

As you can see they don't sit down correctly. I think I'm going to need to find a fix for that. ::)