Author Topic: HMBLT - the Build  (Read 49531 times)

Offline father ennis

• I got paint older than most of you guys ...
  • Our Scifi, armour-building Rennissance Priest...
Re: HMBLT - the Build
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 06:32:38 AM »
Good to see you back,my friend ... !!!!
I may be old but I'm not dead ... yet anyway ... !!!    And NO I did not know Richard III !!!!!!

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 07:27:19 AM »
I'm glad to see that you're making some progress on this.

Quote from: Old Wombat
Just letting you all know that this is moving again. Not, perhaps, fast enough to be finished before I have to return to Crab Heaven but it is moving.

Just think of the fortune you could make selling those hideous crab shells as steampunked hideous crab tanks. Or something.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2013, 12:48:02 AM »
Photo's have been delayed due to a construction alteration. :-X

I have long been unhappy with the height of the "caboose/guard-van" unit & I've finally decided to bite the bullet & make it taller. ???

This will ease some of the trouble I've had building the forklift to fit into the back & allow the crew to stand upright in the cargo area. :)

Thanks for your patience!

Cheers!

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2013, 04:34:37 PM »
Wow, I like it. A completely different idea and beautifully constructed. Keep up up the great work.  :)
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 02:16:37 AM »

When you say "Robber Crab" is this what you're talking about?

Good to have you back -and by the way, the ship images from Christmas are terrific, too!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 04:05:23 PM »
Very similar, Doc. CI versions seem to be brighter than that one. Also, Robber Crabs are called Coconut Crabs elsewhere.

Still haven't had a chance to download all of my CI photo's to the Bucket, yet, but I have a few good Robber Crab pic's.

Almost done with the interior of the guard van, too. Try for some photo's later this week or early next.

;)

Guy
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2013, 08:19:09 PM »
Build has gone even slower than expected (funny how Mrs Wombat seems to want to spend time & do things with me on my 6 week break ???) but here are the photo's to prove that something has happened. I have the housings for the upper hydraulic lifters to fit & then I'll glue in the fuel drum pallet & glue down the lid & seal it all up until I get back from CI in 6 months (or sooner, if K.Rudd's plan to stop the boats works).

As usual, all constructive comments welcome! :o

:D

Guy

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2013, 03:37:57 AM »
All that wonderful detailing sealed up... :(
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2013, 03:45:43 AM »
Guy, have you seen the 1:32 -1:35th scale freight pallets produced by Aoshima?  Three types of freight pallet and a stack of lumber (real wood and very fine grain).  The lumber looks about right for a standard 10cmX10cm (4"X4") post and there are 60 included in the kit along with multiple pallet jacks.  The Aoshima fork lifts are nice but a bit too large to fit inside of your HBMLT. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:48:23 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2013, 09:31:34 AM »
Thanks, gents! :D

Hadn't seen the Aoshima pallets before, Jeffry, &, due to time & budget constraints, I probably wont be ordering any in the near future, I'm afraid.

Maybe for later builds, when I finally get to be based back home, either in my current job role or another.

:)

Guy

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 09:52:04 AM »
Thanks, gents! :D

Hadn't seen the Aoshima pallets before, Jeffry, &, due to time & budget constraints, I probably wont be ordering any in the near future, I'm afraid.

Maybe for later builds, when I finally get to be based back home, either in my current job role or another.

Guy

Hi Guy,

I found the kits by accident when I stopped in at a hobby shop in Seattle that just happened to have the pallet kit and the fork lift kits on the shelf.  I had a fork lift sent to me by another member here (thanks again Alvis) and the pallets were just what I was looking for.  Price was a bit more than I would have wanted to pay but it was an impulse purchase.  ;)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Online FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 01:48:55 PM »
Thought I'd find you doing something nefarious and vaguely shameful  >:D with some innocent and unwitting plastic armored ground transport!  :o

I like your vehicle immensely (says a lot about me), up to the usual standards I see, ( :) ;) ;D ), brilliant that is, you left this one at home didn't you and not one of the armored vehicle kits you took with you? This is the one we discussed over the either ain't it?

So wots the colour scheme gonna be?

Keep up the amazing work fella, I look forward to the finished vehicle.
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 07:26:17 PM »
Yep, left it at home. Can't bring enough stuff to do the work required to finish it. Brought 3 tanks with me to be built OOB: a M-41 to be a RAM's tank ca. 1968 in Viet Nam, a Pz.Kpfw. 35(t) to be finished as either a Polish or Frech Invasion version (no Whiffing! :o ) & a T-62 to be completed as a KO'ed Somali tank to accompany an ex-USMC Imperial Ethiopian Army M-60A1 in a ca. 2000+ diorama. These I'll just build & take home to finish as-&-when I can.

Royal Australian Marines camo... Which I haven't fully realised, yet, but which will probably include a blue-grey & be based on the regular Army camo.

Guy

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 07:30:38 PM »
Guy.. this just keeps humming along.

Like it a lot

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2013, 07:35:57 PM »
Thanks, Brian! :D

Pity it'll be 6 months before I get to see it again. :(

Guy

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2013, 10:37:41 PM »
 Don't feel too bad - I suspect that more than one of us have more than one build that we don't
 get back to for six months ( or more. ) The interior work is terrific! As an irreverent aside, I looked
 at the vehicle acronym again this morning and the first thing that popped into my head was "Her
 Majesty's Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato"....

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2013, 01:07:54 AM »
Close, Doc! ;)

My private version has been Honey-Mustard, Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato. ;D

:o

Guy

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2014, 01:18:57 PM »
This is another way to good build.  :-* 
Suburb - I be all green.
First rate details everywhere  :)

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2014, 01:56:03 PM »
Thanks, finsrin!

Hopefully not too long now until I can get back to her. Depends on how long it is after I get home (in 11 days! ;D ) that my wife lets me set up my modelling spot.

The urge to build a cargo trailer has built up to be almost irresistable :-\ , so a couple more Strykers are probably going to suffer extereme surgery at some time, too.

:icon_music:

Guy

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2014, 07:31:22 AM »
Well, here I am, again!

The HMBLT has been primed with Tamiya grey primer & is sitting on the dining table waiting expectantly because (Ta-dah!) yours-truly has broken out the airbrush equipment!

I'll be trying to fit in a crash-course on operating it today & will try to get the basic paint work done on this before the weekend, when I intend to take it to the SAPMA Expo as a WIP.

Paint job on this will be more difficult than for the RAM M41AS because it's going to be a 3 or 4 tone scheme using tailor-mixed colours - which I'll make in bulk for other modern RAM builds, if I get them right.

I've also started work on the cargo trailer unit & a fast recon. vehicle by violently bashing 2 kits together.

Online FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2014, 12:06:23 PM »
'Bout time you got back to being violent to helpless plastic fella, love to see some progress ........... :D
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2014, 02:50:42 PM »
Well, it's been a cruddy 6 weeks on the modelling front - I've barely been here at all because I've been using what little time I've had to build.

This has been primed & I've gotten a fair way with the cargo trailer.

I haven't taken any photo's & my camera's packed away 'coz I fly back to CI too-early tomorrow.

Sorry! :icon_crap:

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2014, 04:47:59 AM »
I feel your pain, going through the busy season at work to boot.

No worries, we'll be here to enjoy your next update!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop,
Brian da Basher

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2014, 11:43:19 AM »
Thanks, Brian! :)

I've been drowning my sorrows with kit & accessories purchases that I shouldn't really make. :icon_beer:

(God help me if the missus finds out just how much I've spent! :o )

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2014, 03:49:21 PM »
Splendid :)
Another BTS example of a fine should I take up knitting or jigsaw puzzles build.