Author Topic: Grumman (Northrop Grumman) C-2 Greyhound  (Read 8801 times)

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
Grumman (Northrop Grumman) C-2 Greyhound
« on: December 26, 2011, 10:01:56 AM »
taking home a pair (yes two) of the Kinetic 1/48th scale C-2 Greyhound kits.
And what would you be planning with those Jeff?  Maybe a C-4 ???

With three of the Kinetic Greyhound kits now in the stash, I really have nothing that elaborate planned for any of the things.  Some ideas I thought worth sharing though are: 

I had an idea for something "speculative" and quite fictional based on the C-2.  Finding an appropriate name for the thing that would be the Navy version of the Greyhound performing a mission similar to the USAF C-141 SOLL (Special Operations Low-Level) aircraft that were used on occasion to deliver things to places where we were not always welcome.  So you could call it the MC-2 Greyhound SOLL.  Other fictional project code names such "Combat Collie" or "Combat Shepherd" come to mind but I think the MC-2 Greyhound SOLL would be the best of the bunch.  I am open to other suggestions for a project code name that has a canine themed name. 

Another possible project would be a Royal Navy Greyhound C.1 COD (Carrier On-Board Delivery) aircraft.  If the RN CV ever slides down the ways and has an actual air wing assigned there would surely be a need for such an aircraft, or not? 

The whole 8-bladed propeller got me excited about the Kinetic kit but I had not envisioned scoring three of the things so quickly. 

Another possibility might be a KC-2 Greyhound with a pair of the D-704 refueling stores mounted under the wings.  Certainly a very simple conversion and easy make.  The wing pylons could be made from plastic card stock or salvaged from another kit.  I figure the 1/72nd scale wing pylons from the C-130 Hercules will work quite well for such a project and a dash of scale-o-rama.  Another minor alteration to the basic C-2 fuselage on the tail ramp might be to consider the hose unit from the Cobra Company KA-6D conversion kit and mount that to the ramp.  That way you could have three hose/drogue units on your KC-2 Greyhound Tanker. 

***update.  Now down to just two of the Kinetic C-2 Greyhound kits after arranging a sale with another modeler located in Oregon for a kit minus the eight-bladed propeller parts.  Both parties are happy with the transaction. 

Reference link: Wikipedia - C-2 Greyhound page
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:54:41 AM by Jeffry Fontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
Re: Grumman (Northrop Grumman) C-2 Greyhound
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 03:00:42 AM »
Well there's always this old chestnut:

or perhaps something with a tiltrotor flavour?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 03:16:46 AM »
Yep, that would be an interesting conversion to the C-2.  Perhaps in a smaller scale to hide the imperfections? 

I remember something similar to this that was based on the fuselage of the V-22 Osprey and the wings of the Greyhound/Hawkeye that looked quite impressive. 

-------------------------

Just realized that based on your images that the D-704 aerial refueling store with stores pylons mounted on the wings might not work out very well since the wing folds almost immediately after the engine the weight and physical size of the refueling store with pylon might be a bit in the way of things if it were jutting out from the bottom of the wing.  Guess the KA-6D hose/drogue feature in the ramp would be the best solution. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 03:19:55 AM by jeffryfontaine »
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 11:59:17 AM »
Greyhound bus type markings as Greyhound expands into the airline business.......

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 02:19:11 PM »
Greyhound bus type markings as Greyhound expands into the airline business.......

I love it!

phantomdriver

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 01:40:39 AM »
surprised they haven't already thought of it, as a replacement is being sought...

Offline Cliffy B

• Ship Whiffer Extraordinaire...master of Beyond Visual Range Modelling
  • Its ZOTT!!!
    • My Artwork
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 05:37:10 AM »

That's so darn obvious, I LOVE IT!!!  Somebody make one now!!!

As for another version, anyone remember the gunship version someone made profiles for back on the Whiff board? 
"Radials growl, inlines purr, jets blow!"  -Anonymous

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."  -Tom Clancy

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."  -Anonymous

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 06:37:31 AM »
Did a bunch of them for the usual suspects using a C-2 as the basis with different armament fits.  Also did a bunch of alternate user plain Jane C-2s.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Online elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 06:48:19 AM »

Highly appropriate and would good matched with a 747SP where the "SP" meant Southern Pacific as the railroads expanded into the airline business (almost happened, at least in freight haulage, just after WW II when the ATSF looked to get into it but was stopped by the ICC - there were DC-4's painted up with an adaptation of the Santa Fe's "warbonnet" paint scheme as applied to their streamlined diesel engines of the period - imagine a 747 freighter done up that way).

Offline finsrin

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 11:10:26 AM »
Can one of you graphics guru's show us concepts of Greyhounds in service with Greyhound Lines when they enter the air line business?
C-2 or Greyhound 21.  Thinking fuselage shape is akin to bus shape and carries the bus finish in design and colors well.  Same look is on both bus and airplane for continuity of corporate identity to customers.
Attached pictures for review.
Bill

Offline Alvis 3.1

• Self acknowledged "Bad Influence"…but probably less attractive than Pink
  • The high priest of whiffing
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 04:50:10 AM »
Greyhound actually ran an airline in Western Canada back in 96-97, using 727s.

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 03:24:38 PM »
Naval Puff the Magic Dragon.
kwyxdxLg5T

Offline finsrin

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 03:36:49 PM »
When Greyhound operates the C-2 it will be called Greyhound Greyhound.

Offline Maverick

• Suffers from 'Fat Fingers' and accidentally locks his own thread...
  • Holding Pattern
  • The profile machine!
    • My Photobucket Thread
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 04:39:55 PM »
Naval Puff the Magic Dragon.

Did a swag of profiles of Gunship Greyhounds back in the day including VAH-21 & USMC machines.

Regards,

John
Regards,

John

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »
I wonder...a C-2 with RR Pegasus engines under each wing...

Online elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 11:37:14 PM »
Quite plausible though you'd need a longer nacelle to properly store the main gear.   The bifurcated rear duct would make that easier to do, though, than with most turbofans.

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 02:55:40 AM »
Quite plausible though you'd need a longer nacelle to properly store the main gear.   The bifurcated rear duct would make that easier to do, though, than with most turbofans.

Better yet, move the landing gear to the fuselage.  Add on a pair of sponsons to house the main landing gear assemblies and that leaves you with an uncomplicated engine nacelle. 

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 03:14:02 AM »

I think that would look really neat Greg, when I was doing my STOVL Canberra I had given where the engine would go a lot of thought. I figured that when the nozzles were swiveled down the center point of the four nozzles should be about where the load cg was on the Canberra.  I was able to get a load cg chart of a Canberra B.8 which position the cg right in line with the forward wall of the main u/c wheel bay.  When I lined up the engine (using a Harrier GR.3 fuselage as a nacelle) and number of things fell into place.  One was the Canberra's main spar ended up right above where the Harrier main gear was, or right at the back of the engine, which was perfect.  So if you are able to get hold of a load cg chart for the C-2 it shouldn't be a problem, the Harrier fuselage can be used as the nacelle on this too because you could use the pitch and yaw puffers at the back of it .
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:15:54 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 04:03:28 AM »
Maybe a competitor tote Do-31?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 12:50:20 PM »
I wonder...C-2 as a small regional airliner?

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 01:09:41 PM »
Replacement for the Shorts C-23 Sherpa (and the C-27J Spartan) in US Army service

Offline Daryl J.

• Assures us he rarely uses model glue in dentistry
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2017, 01:33:49 PM »
Jamming aircraft
kwyxdxLg5T