Author Topic: AV-22 and E-22 Tilt Rotors  (Read 25772 times)

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
Re: AV-22 and E-22 Tilt Rotors
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2018, 03:07:14 AM »
How long ago was that produced Greg ?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2018, 03:15:49 AM »
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2018, 05:49:53 PM »
Was it supposed to have longer prop-rotors?

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2018, 01:08:52 AM »
Was it supposed to have longer prop-rotors?

Yes

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2018, 08:30:04 AM »
I like that   :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

now we can see the origins of the V-280 Valor

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2018, 11:18:31 AM »
I don't know that I could post it, but I have seen a study for a two-seat in tandem attack fuselage mated to AB609 (now just A609) wings and nacelles.  Weapons bay was on the center line with outward hinged doors at the top of the doors, allowing the full opening without interfering with the prop-rotors.

Now, my SV-22B will have external torpedo racks behind the prop-rotors, but that won't matter as they are free-falling stores.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2018, 12:35:27 PM »
Well I have a 1/48 XV-15 kit somewhere that might get turned into a attack bird with side-by-side seating all Kamov   Ka-52 "Alligator"

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2018, 07:55:38 PM »
I don't know that I could post it, but I have seen a study for a two-seat in tandem attack fuselage mated to AB609 (now just A609) wings and nacelles.  Weapons bay was on the center line with outward hinged doors at the top of the doors, allowing the full opening without interfering with the prop-rotors.

Now, my SV-22B will have external torpedo racks behind the prop-rotors, but that won't matter as they are free-falling stores.

Very interesting Evan, so my project has a little bit of credibility then   ;)

Mind you, mine should be able to carry quite an armament load. Each sponson will have a similar cross section shape as this pod does, which should allow for quite a package to be stowed away in it.  The bay doors work in the same way too.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:02:20 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2018, 08:03:25 PM »
Well I have a 1/48 XV-15 kit somewhere that might get turned into a attack bird with side-by-side seating all Kamov   Ka-52 "Alligator"

I think I've seen a 1/72 kit of it too ---

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2018, 08:20:02 PM »

I think I've seen a 1/72 kit of it too ---

Anigrand had one.  Now retired.

http://www.anigrand.com/AA2030_XV-15.htm
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2018, 10:20:42 PM »
And Akotomba does/did one too ---

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2018, 03:05:17 AM »
There is also a 1/84 XV-15 kit that Bell once offered in its store.  I picked one up from a retiree in Flight Test and they occasionally show up on eBay.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2018, 03:00:51 AM »
After a lot of thought, I've come up with something that would work for making the flaps deploy. Now I need to do a practice run on it and see if it does.

And I also did a practice run on how my weapons bay doors will be made. This was heat formed to the curve I need and then holes drilled into the edge of the inner side of the door. I took the diameter of the tubes from one of the RP pods and I can get ten holes in the edge. (top pic)

My prop rotor is also progressing, these are now glued to the spinner. I had to revise how I was going to attach the blades, the system where I had small stubs installed, wasn't very accurate so I took the stubs out and filled the holes in. I've got the other three to glue on yet, but they're in the process of being made. Then it will be onto the other prop.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 05:45:56 PM by kitnut617 »

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2018, 03:06:03 AM »
I've also installed a refueling probe in the wing near the wing root. I put it there because the nose of the aircraft is getting a bit crowded. I decided to reduce the prop-rotor diameter a bit more for clearance, so now the diameter is 30'-0" instead of the V-22's diameter of 38'-0".

Top two pics show how much clearance there is, bottom two pics show that the probe in it's extended position and retracted

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2018, 03:07:11 AM »
This is a top view of the arrangement

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2018, 03:11:31 AM »
The BERP blade tips take a bit of time to shape correctly, I used 2mm styrene blanks and then sanded the chord to suit the blade chord. I also had to re-twist the blades after they were shortened. The BERP ends actually replace quite a bit of the blade area I removed from the originals but I'm still going with six blade prop-rotors.

I also had to revise the nacelle hinge, with the extra blades and larger nacelle, there wasn't enough friction to keep the nacelles just dropping into the horizontal. And I want to pose it with the nacelles in various positions, which is why I'm going to make the flaps deployable.

The other thing I had to revise was how I had the sponson wing stubs, I had to reposition them to where they attach to the sponson. This was because of interference with the weapons bay doors and because I had made the first ones too short in an attempt to get the outer doors to be able to have a line of fire when the prop-rotor was in the forward flight position. But then I didn't have enough room for the inner doors to open ---  :-X  But even now the outer door line-of-fire will only work if the nacelles are rotated a couple of degrees, just going to have to live with that ---
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:22:46 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline elmayerle

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2018, 03:54:36 AM »
I think I'd have made the refueling probe fixed off the top of the wing, somewhat like the first generation Harrier had it off the inlet.  That would take care of clearance problems as well as make the mate-up with the drogue easier to watch.

Overall, it's looking good.

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2018, 04:08:20 AM »
Thanks Evan --- I didn't take a photo of it in the top view when the probe is extended (next time), the tip of it is about where the pilot's instrument panel is.  I did measure a probe on a Tornado when it's deployed and I positioned this one at about the same distance from the fuselage.

The project is not progressing as quick as I would like it to though, work has been interrupting things a bit. The summer construction season gets busy at the airport up here in Alberta.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 04:11:35 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2018, 10:27:17 AM »
Looks like a lot of finicky, finely detailed work completed in a very short time to me.

So, I'd say you're doing well but, yes, fine detail work does slow one down, doesn't it. :smiley: :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2018, 07:30:33 PM »
Cheers Guy ---

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2018, 06:14:07 AM »
After some more chatting with Evan about where the terrain following radar should go and me thinking about what he said --- I've done a small design change. I didn't want to attach the radome that comes in the V-22 kit to the AV-22 nose because it seems to me an after-thought and as Evan said, it would look a bit ugly. So the design now has the radar built into the airframe. Only it's a bigger radar, bigger and better  >:D

I found I had a nose off another kit which has got change with another nose, when I made a trial fit with it to the nose of the AV-22, I couldn't take my eyes off it. I kept going back to it and looking at it and then just loved it. It gave the front end something that in my mind had been missing.  It's now glued on after some refinements.

Here's what I did, see if you think the same as I do about it. This is the trial fit-up, I'll take more pics once the glue has dried and I've done a bit of PSR on it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 06:17:01 AM by kitnut617 »

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2018, 08:25:53 AM »
Looks like a natural fit

Online Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2018, 09:57:30 AM »
@ Robert - based on what I can see of your new radome/nose it looks like it started life on a late model Mosquito NF and you have turned it upside down.  Am I close or was that a RWAG?  :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline kitnut617

• Holding Pattern
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2018, 08:31:45 PM »
Thanks guys --

Jeff, I was going to use it on a Mosquito, but it didn't come from one. It actually comes off a CF-100  --- a Mk.V to be exact  ;)  That kit is getting converted into a recce bird.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2018, 09:07:02 PM »
Thanks guys --

Jeff, I was going to use it on a Mosquito, but it didn't come from one. It actually comes off a CF-100  --- a Mk.V to be exact  ;)  That kit is getting converted into a recce bird.

Oh the horror Robert! What is the source of your recce snoz?
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...