Author Topic: Steam train restoration yard  (Read 4420 times)

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
  • The man has paddle wheels on the brain...
Steam train restoration yard
« on: November 18, 2018, 01:29:02 AM »
Hi all my daughter and son wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas ( they knew it would be model related) 

So I thought long and hard about what to ask for, i wanted something different and I've come up with a dio which could go on for years or finish fairly quickly depending on how I feel it's going.

I lost my dad this yr and one of the things which stands out in my mind (apart from the tall ships and ive had enough of those for now) (ive got 3 stalled tall ship builds 1 unstarted and the Bismarck and KGV on the go) anyway i digress was helping him with his railway layout (which at the time was huge he even built boxes which went round the garden and back in the house, all with removable lids to deal with derailment and such.

Anyway we live near the Colne Valley Railway so I thought I would relive some of my childhood and build a railyard dio of trains in various stages of repair. I figure this to be an enthusiast who is just interested in steam so it will have rolling stock and trains from all over the world. There had a lot of 1/87 - 1/72 Steam train and rolling stock kits availiable so no loss of choice.

I'm looking forward to this, i see it as a loooooooooooong term build (with really no end result in mind) as long as I think of ideas I can just keep adding to it (who knows maybe I will even add some working trains) anyway I have bought a model to start it all off.

The first thing any steam train museum needs is a station 

Last time I built a card board rail building I was in my teens, my brother was a glint in my dad's eyes and discos were the new place to be.

This contains laser cut parts, lasers were things of science fiction movies in those days.

I'm open to all ideas and recommendations of kits and buildings (keep in mind this is a side line build so no expensive kits as my main money for modelling will go for my main modelling)

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
Re: Steam train restoration yard
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 06:16:16 AM »
Sounds like an interesting challenge.  I believe there are HO-scale (1/87) kits of the "Big Boy" class locomotives (I know they offered it at least in both Union Pacific and Deluth, Mesabi, & Iron Range markings) available from Revell as well as a German steam locomotive.  Beyond that, I'm not sure of what else is available.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 05:01:58 AM »
Made a start on the card model

They are incredibly strong considering they are only cardboard.

How do you weather these card models?

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 05:06:39 AM »
How do you weather these card models?
Other than making sure you seal the cardboard really well before adding anything wet, I'd say weather just like any other model.

I'd give it at least one good coat of future to seal the card board and then sufficient flat varnish to take out the Future gloss (although you could also add "Flat Base" to the Future to make it flat off the bat).

Then you could use the broad range of weathering products to achieve any effects you like. You're not going to get any micro effect from dry brushing because there is no brick texture to pick up, same with washes to pick out brick, but other, more general effects should work the same. Rust and oil dot techniques will work, as will applying pigments and adding stuff with texture, like lichen or static grass, etc.

You can use glaze techniques to provide colour variation as well. "Modulation" and "preshading" should work well.

You're just not going to have great luck with the techniques that use look to pick out or emphasise texture.

'Cause there really isn't any.

Paul

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 04:49:45 AM »
Hi all next update

Thanks paul

Offline andonio64

• Fio Piccolo's understudy
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 11:05:16 PM »
Beautiful project kpnuts, looking forward to seeing more!

Antonio

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 12:23:40 AM »
Hi all more progress on the station, also my brother kindly donated some of his stuff and track (any ideas on how to straighten the bent card ) he also donated my first train. I will be using this as the first fully restored train on the dio.

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 07:09:10 AM »
(any ideas on how to straighten the bent card )
You can't really straighten it, per se, but if you glue a, say, 1/4" piece of heavy carboard (like picture matte board) at right angles to the bottom, making an L, it shuold straighten up nicely. Clamp it until it dries and it should be no problem at all.

Paul

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 04:07:17 AM »
Hi all my brother bought me this for my birthday I was really chuffed a rare find. (I know I said I was going to finish some of my stalled builds but this was calling me so loudly)

img]https://i.ibb.co/nnb0ymD/IMG-20190211-5466.jpg[/img]

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2019, 02:21:52 AM »
 I've started weathering it, in the dio it's going to be one in the process of being restored.

I feel I need to add some more rust but I'm not really wanting it to look really neglected I have a prairie in mind for that I feel at the moment it's not looking very realistic I'm wondering if that's just because it's not in a proper setting.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 03:39:45 AM »
More work on the station building.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 03:31:02 PM »
For an old train being restored for a steam railway ride/exhibit, it's missing a bit more rust (especially around the rivets & along the tops of the ridges, where water & dust & soot accumulate to make an acidic paste), the 2 tons of dust & bird poop that always seems to accumulate on the roof, & that black roof paint fades & peels quite badly when not regularly maintained.
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 03:25:32 AM »
Hi all well the station is done(well without putting it on the setting) (the platform can't be done till then ) 

Made a start on the prairie tank engine 

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 05:30:16 AM »
It's a treat to see a choo-choo posted here and I really like the look of that station!

All aboard!

Brian da Basher

Offline Jacques Deguerre

• Older and fatter but not wiser.
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 08:49:28 AM »
I’m enjoying this thread because I’m a bit of a model railroad fan (US HO scale and On30 scale) and my son is a huge fan of British prototypes. The one shot with the under construction West Country class and the finished Titanic in the background pretty much encapsulates his interests.

Offline kpnuts

• Life Saving Hero!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2019, 01:02:41 AM »
 Thanks all.
That Titanic in the background is as yet unfinished (and probably never will be) it had several " incidents" of a mysterious nature (fell off that cabinet when it was now where near the edge) , masts snapped off when no one home bits of PE on the table which were glued in place when it was left.
So there it sits untouched and still in the same condition, it seems not to want to be built.

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2019, 01:18:51 AM »
Any cats in the house?
Threaten it with being whiffed into something new. That will make it behave.
The station building looks great!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2019, 05:56:47 PM »
Threaten it with being whiffed into something new. That will make it behave.

Yeah, like the "Wreck of the Titanic"! >:D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."