Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 137853 times)

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #950 on: January 25, 2024, 04:16:33 PM »
Your PE work is looking excellent but OMG so much extra work! You must have the patience of a saint - not to mention the skills of a PE Ninja!  :icon_alabanza:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 04:18:42 PM by Claymore »
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #951 on: January 25, 2024, 11:25:52 PM »
Excellent work going on here, mate! :smiley: :smiley:
Thanks! Moving along slowly but surely.

Your PE work is looking excellent but OMG so much extra work! You must have the patience of a saint - not to mention the skills of a PE Ninja!  :icon_alabanza:
Thanks! Yes, lots and lots of patience required for all that PE work. I used to hate resin and PE but am now getting accustomed to them. Just take your time and test fit everything first.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #952 on: January 26, 2024, 12:17:13 AM »
Another one I got back in July, 2022. The Trumpeter 1/35 T-80BVM. Second image shows how I will be building mine.

I have the ETA Ukrainian flag and the Miniarm 4S24 ERA sets.

I started it in November, 2023. I figured I would start this on alongside the Meng and Trumpeter T-72 kits posted previously seeing all three will be pretty much the same overall green camo scheme. As usual, I started with the hull.

The turret still needs lots of work. This is where I stopped work on it back in November.

Here you can see one of the reasons why I stopped working on the turret. This is just for the commander's cupola.

The T-80BVM PE set is not as extensive as the one from their T-72B3 kit.

As I said above, this is as far as I got with it. The T-80BVM will have figures in the hatches so I need to paint some of the turret interior. The Trumpeter T-72B3 will also have the hatches open so again, I still need to paint the interior as well. It will have the Masterbox Ukrainian figures with one figure looking inside one of the turret hatches. The Meng T-72B3 I might close it up as the reference image I am going by has the hatches closed.

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
« Reply #953 on: January 26, 2024, 04:51:02 AM »
Good luck and looking forward to seeing how this one goes - more PE punishment!  :o :smiley:
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Ramba

« Reply #954 on: January 26, 2024, 08:16:29 AM »
Good luck and looking forward to seeing how this one goes - more PE punishment!  :o :smiley:
Thanks! The T-80BVM has way less PE than the T-72B3 but I don't have a lot of time to myself to get much done lately. These are all taking longer than usual but mostly because I can only paint outside so I have to wait for the weather to warm up. Hoping I can get some painting done in the spring.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #955 on: January 26, 2024, 11:10:48 PM »
Even more good work happening here! :smiley: :D
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #956 on: January 27, 2024, 12:15:12 AM »
Even more good work happening here! :smiley: :D
Thanks! I have so many projects on the go at the same time  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :( :( :(  I really need to get at least one done. Just one  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Ramba

« Reply #957 on: January 27, 2024, 03:00:19 AM »
The pile of started kits is too big to keep track of all of them but here is one more.  It is the MiniArt 1/35 SLA APC T-54 with Dozer Blade. A while back I was asking to trade for just the dozer blade parts and someone on FB replied saying they have them and would send them to me. After about a month went by, a package arrived in the mail from that person. The box was pretty big just for the specific dozer blade parts. Not only was it pretty big, it was also heavy. Once I opened the package, the entire kit was in there. I was not expecting the entire kit. Anyway, here it is.

I got it sometime late 2022 but started just the dozer blade in January, 2023. I was originally going to use the dozer blade on a what if build but it didn't fit.

With the dozer blade not fitting the kit I wanted to use it on for the what if, I decided to just build the SLA APC T-54 as is. As usual, I started with the hull. The kit has a full interior for the APC version.

While the kit has the full interior for the APC version, I didn't want to build the actual APC version. I wanted to build it with the turret. The turret wasn't included in the box so I had to acquire the specific turret parts, turret interior parts and some interior parts for the hull as well. A friend of mine had some of the turret and hull interior parts but I had to get the turret and other interior parts myself off Ebay.

Unfortunately, I did not get all the interior parts so I won't have an exact full interior. The parts trees from Ebay were getting way too costly so I had to limit what I could buy. I am building it as a what if so my idea is that it is a captured tank that was rebuilt so some parts were left out. You won't see the full interior anyway once everything is buttoned up so the missing parts won't even be noticed. I do plan to leave the hatches open and possibly the engine deck lid to show the full engine. I will update later as to what my actual plans are for the what if. As usual, I need to paint everything before closing up the hull and turret.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 03:03:00 AM by Ramba »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #958 on: January 27, 2024, 09:32:49 AM »
More of the MiniArt 1/35 SLA APC T-54 with Dozer Blade.

MiniArt includes PE. The slats on top of the engine exhaust grills are all separate. There are 25 slats total.

The upper hull and fenders are separate.

Some interior parts that need painting before placing inside the turret and hull.

The upper hull parts and fenders are only test fitted for now. As I said earlier, everything needs painting before gluing everything together.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #959 on: January 27, 2024, 10:22:26 PM »
I had ordered the Miniarm T-55AD DROZD resin conversion set back in 2021. This was way before the RFM and Takom kits were released. Unfortunately, the Miniarm set was backordered with no expected restock or delivery date. I tried cancelling it but they never responded to my messages. Anyway, I finally got it around July, 2023. It arrived after the RFM and Takom T-55AD kits were released. I originally ordered the Miniarm set to use as a what if so with the MiniArt T-54, I can now use it to do the what if.

It is a very comprehensive resin and PE set. Lots and lots of resin and PE, including a beautiful brass barrel.

The resin parts are very nicely cast. Some parts have huge casting blocks to remove though.

Some of the parts assembled and ready to attach to the turret. Still a lot more to attach to the turret that is not shown but I will be camo painting the turret first. The Miniarm resin parts will be painted in overall green so it is easier to paint them separately before attaching to the turret.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
« Reply #960 on: January 27, 2024, 11:33:23 PM »
Nice looking resin! :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #961 on: January 28, 2024, 01:31:17 AM »
Agreed
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #962 on: January 28, 2024, 06:15:35 AM »
Watching this build thread is better than any review site.. all the nice kits and some really nifty resin of stuff I have never heard of.

Keep it going  :smiley:

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #963 on: January 28, 2024, 06:20:18 AM »
Also enjoying pictures, better than I take.  What camera you using ?

Offline Ramba

« Reply #964 on: January 28, 2024, 07:54:35 AM »
Nice looking resin! :smiley:

Agreed

Watching this build thread is better than any review site.. all the nice kits and some really nifty resin of stuff I have never heard of.

Keep it going  :smiley:

Also enjoying pictures, better than I take.  What camera you using ?

The Miniarm DROZD set is really nice. I would have preferred the RFM or Takom plastic kits though. The Miniarm set was ordered way before both plastic kits were released. The Miniarm instructions are photocopies and a mix of different T-54/55 versions so you need to pay close attention for the specific version you are building.

@ finsrin, I am using a Nikon DSLR D7100 with a Sigma 18-250mm lens. I used the built in flash for these photos. I use the camera mostly for wildlife photography. You can see some of my wildlife photos on Flickr. I haven't used Flickr since 2018 though. Most of the ones posted in 2018 were taken in the backyard. I haven't really been taking wildlife photos that much anymore either.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/39797696@N00/

Offline Ramba

« Reply #965 on: February 05, 2024, 10:13:00 PM »
Another 1/2 built kit. This time the Takom 1/35 Leopard C2 Mexas. I got this back in 2019 but didn't start it until sometime in July of last year.

Takom includes two different color plastic. The hull and turret are in an olive drab while the Mexas armor is in a tan.

I didn't take too many photos of the progress as it is the usual straight forward assembly procedure.

The kit only includes one FN MAG but I am going to a second one as seen in the image below. The original caption said it was in Kandahar, 2006. I have some Legend resin FN MAG's for a Leopard 2A4M CAN but the FN mounts are the same so they will fit the C2 Mexas as well.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #966 on: February 06, 2024, 04:55:23 PM »
Well, they are both Canadian. ;)

I wonder if Canadian bullets have apologies engraved on them? ???

Offline Gingie

• The LAV sausage-maker…goes nice with a home made beer I understand
  • Has been to Tatooine...
« Reply #967 on: February 07, 2024, 02:51:40 AM »
Obligatory missing one mudflap version!

Almost looks like some of the roadwheels are tan, but I think that is dust / dirt.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #968 on: February 07, 2024, 06:29:10 AM »
Well, they are both Canadian. ;)

I wonder if Canadian bullets have apologies engraved on them? ???

Or the bullets apologize after hitting you.

Obligatory missing one mudflap version!

Almost looks like some of the roadwheels are tan, but I think that is dust / dirt.

That specific one is pretty weathered. I noticed the road wheels as well but I think it is just dust. Kind of weird how only certain ones are that dusty though.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #969 on: February 07, 2024, 06:40:47 AM »
Yesterday I started on the RFM USMC M1A1 FEP track links. The instructions said there are 78 links per side. Only thing is, there are 6 parts per link. Four parts for the pads, one pin and one guide horn per link for a total of 936 parts just for two full sets of tracks.

All the track link parts clipped and cleaned up. It took about 6 hours to remove all 936 parts and clean them up. Took another hour to get them fully assembled. The two rectangular parts are the assembly jigs.

I have a few different RFM M1 kits and some include full indy links and some have link and length. The RFM M1A2 SEP V2 has link and length tracks which was released before the USMC M1A1 FEP kit but the USMC M1A1 FEP includes the full indy links. The RFM M1A1 Ukraine/Poland kit also includes the link and length tracks and was released not that long after the USMC M1A1 FEP kit. Not sure why the USMC M1A1 FEP klit has the full indy link tracks which was released in between the M1A2 SEP V2 and M1A1 Ukraine/Poland kits which have the link and length tracks.

These are the link and length tracks from the M1A1 Ukraine/Poland kit. These are the same ones also in the M1A2 SEP V2 kit. As you can see, the guide horns are separate so still a lot of parts on the link and length set.

Offline Old Wombat

« Reply #970 on: February 07, 2024, 01:15:25 PM »
Yesterday I started on the RFM USMC M1A1 FEP track links. The instructions said there are 78 links per side. Only thing is, there are 6 parts per link. Four parts for the pads, one pin and one guide horn per link for a total of 936 parts just for two full sets of tracks.

All the track link parts clipped and cleaned up. It took about 6 hours to remove all 936 parts and clean them up. Took another hour to get them fully assembled. The two rectangular parts are the assembly jigs.

You, Sir, are an indy-track God! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #971 on: February 08, 2024, 02:21:09 AM »
Nice job on the tracks! The RFM tracks take a while to build, but it's just labor and not much frustration. Takom also has some click together tracks that work well.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #972 on: February 08, 2024, 02:58:06 AM »
You, Sir, are an indy-track God! :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza: :icon_alabanza:

Nice job on the tracks! The RFM tracks take a while to build, but it's just labor and not much frustration. Takom also has some click together tracks that work well.

Thanks! The indy tracks are nice but very tedious. It took me a total of 7 hours to get them done.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #973 on: February 08, 2024, 03:02:54 AM »
Today I added some Meng bolt heads on the USMC M1A1 mounting bracket for the snorkel.  I used the .8mm size. I had to scratch build the mounting bracket as the snorkel is from Meng but the kit I am using it on is from RFM. The Meng part was a bit undersized compared to the RFM part so that is why I had to scratch build the mounting bracket to fit on the RFM part. I noticed from the photos I took, the corner bolt heads aren't aligned with the ones on  the side. Not sure if I will be fixing them. I might leave them as is.

As you can see in the image of the real one, the bolt heads are very prominent.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #974 on: February 08, 2024, 04:04:02 AM »
Nice! I love the Meng bolts - I bought one set as a whim, but they've been very useful. I have several now.