Author Topic: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's  (Read 137884 times)

Offline Ramba

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
Re: A few 1/35 IFV's and AFV's
« Reply #850 on: April 11, 2023, 02:15:48 AM »
I didn't have to go out today so I spent the time to do the touch ups and gloss coat. Unfortunately, some of the masking lifted some of the white paint but not going to fix it as my airbrush died and no idea what's wrong with it.

Here is a sample of the home made zebra stripe decals applied to the left rear fender of the Land Rover. The decals laid down nicely without any Micro Set or Micro Sol.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #851 on: April 11, 2023, 02:49:51 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
  • Formerly Frank2056. New upgrade!
    • My new webpage
« Reply #852 on: April 11, 2023, 03:22:10 AM »
It's looking good.  The chipping (which is probably unintentional) looks good, too.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #853 on: April 11, 2023, 03:29:35 AM »
It's looking good.  The chipping (which is probably unintentional) looks good, too.

Thanks! The decals are home printed on a laser printer. I put a coat of sealer on them but the toner/ink still chipped off. It gives it that worn and weathered look.

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #854 on: April 11, 2023, 04:33:53 AM »
Toner is a little sturdier than inkjet, but it'll still rub off. Even a clear coat isn't enough sometimes because you can rub through that as well.

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #855 on: April 11, 2023, 04:49:03 AM »
I had that too, so now I ALWAYS use Micro-Scale Liquid Decal Film on home-printed decals . . .

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #856 on: April 11, 2023, 06:28:49 PM »
Well, it's a requisitioned/stolen safari vehicle repurposed as a combat vehicle; I doubt the new owners are going to care a jot for the paintwork, let alone try to maintain it. ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Ramba

« Reply #857 on: April 11, 2023, 07:55:34 PM »
I had that too, so now I ALWAYS use Micro-Scale Liquid Decal Film on home-printed decals . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Toner is a little sturdier than inkjet, but it'll still rub off. Even a clear coat isn't enough sometimes because you can rub through that as well.

I put the Microscale liquid decal film on it a week ago then a couple days later I sprayed a clear coat. I had to print more of those zebra stripe decals  Sunday and I sprayed the gloss coat first this time and put the Microscale liquid decal film on yesterday. Will see how it works later today.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #858 on: April 11, 2023, 07:57:29 PM »
Well, it's a requisitioned/stolen safari vehicle repurposed as a combat vehicle; I doubt the new owners are going to care a jot for the paintwork, let alone try to maintain it. ;)

Yes, being a combat vehicle, it got a lot of use and beaten and weathered so the crackled stripes gives it that well worn look.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #859 on: April 11, 2023, 07:59:30 PM »
Got most of the left side done yesterday. Also did the hood or bonnet to some of you. Still a lot more to do though. I will try to get the rest done today.

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #860 on: April 11, 2023, 08:36:59 PM »
No rush, you'll get there in the end. :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline robunos

• Can't afford the top wing of his biplanes...
« Reply #861 on: April 11, 2023, 09:50:29 PM »

cheers,
Robin.

I put the Microscale liquid decal film on it a week ago then a couple days later I sprayed a clear coat. I had to print more of those zebra stripe decals  Sunday and I sprayed the gloss coat first this time and put the Microscale liquid decal film on yesterday. Will see how it works later today.

I've only ever used the liquid decal film before applying the decals, I don't gloss coat until they are applied. Be interesting to see if gloss coating first works any better ?
Also, it pays to play with your printer settings to get the best results. The 'usual' settings for ordinary paper don't give good results, in my experience. If you're not already doing so, try using the settings for 'glossy paper', or 'Photo Paper', and on my printer there's a setting to increase toner adhesion which I use. A further trick is to use the straight-through paper path, if your printer has one.
After all this, I still find home printed decals are fairly delicate, and need careful handling . . .

cheers,
Robin.
By the pricking of my thumbs, Something Whiff-y this way comes . . .

Offline Ramba

« Reply #862 on: April 11, 2023, 10:21:58 PM »
No rush, you'll get there in the end. :smiley:

I need to get as much done today as possible as I will be gone all day Wednesday. On Thursday and Friday, the temperature will be in the low 80's F or 27.2 C for you others. I want to spend as much time outside both days to get as many kits primed as possible before the pollen, heat and humidity arrives. I have a ton of kits needing camo paint as well that were primed back in 2020, 2021 and 2022. So, today I need to at least get the zebra stripe decals done.

Offline Ramba

« Reply #863 on: April 11, 2023, 10:30:49 PM »

cheers,
Robin.

I've only ever used the liquid decal film before applying the decals, I don't gloss coat until they are applied. Be interesting to see if gloss coating first works any better ?
Also, it pays to play with your printer settings to get the best results. The 'usual' settings for ordinary paper don't give good results, in my experience. If you're not already doing so, try using the settings for 'glossy paper', or 'Photo Paper', and on my printer there's a setting to increase toner adhesion which I use. A further trick is to use the straight-through paper path, if your printer has one.
After all this, I still find home printed decals are fairly delicate, and need careful handling . . .

cheers,
Robin.

Thanks for the tip on the glossy paper. I don't know if my laser printer has that or not but my old color inkjet printer had that option. My old inkjet died a few years ago though and I replaced it with the laser printer. It is black toner only though.

Good news, I did try the decals with the clear coat sprayed first then the Microscale liquid decal film applied second and the decals are not crackling or rubbing off. For anyone else attempting home made decals, spray the clear coat first.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #864 on: April 12, 2023, 02:08:36 AM »
Looking good.  Are you doing them as sheets or individual lines?

Offline Ramba

« Reply #865 on: April 12, 2023, 02:53:46 AM »
Looking good.  Are you doing them as sheets or individual lines?

Thanks! The image of the zebra stripe pattern I downloaded from Google was small. I copied and pasted the image several times to fit across on the letter size decal paper. I made multiple rows and then cut them to size to fit on the kit panels. Here is what the decal looks like. You can see that the image when printed is only 1.5 inches wide.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #866 on: April 12, 2023, 03:01:31 AM »
 :smiley:

Offline Ramba

« Reply #867 on: April 12, 2023, 03:37:22 AM »
The zebra stripes are finally done. I am going to gloss coat it right now. I have no idea when I will get back to it as I will be away all day Wednesday. On Thursday, Friday and the weekend I might be concentrating on other kits that need priming. Hoping to get back to it by Monday next week.

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 03:58:12 AM by Story »

Offline Ramba

« Reply #869 on: April 12, 2023, 05:39:42 AM »

Thanks for the ideas. All great possibilities. The Master Box North African figures look good.

The only dinosaur type figure I have is an old Godzilla. It is about 7.5 inches tall.

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #870 on: April 12, 2023, 06:18:58 AM »
I reckon the decalling worked out really well

Offline Ramba

« Reply #871 on: April 12, 2023, 06:51:58 AM »
I reckon the decalling worked out really well

Yes, the second set I printed laid down a lot better without the toner/ink crackling and rubbing off. I sprayed the clear coat first this time then added the Microscale liquid decal film after. The left side of the Land Rover has the first set of decals I printed where I used the Microscale liquid decal film first then the clear coat afterwards. Most of the left side shows the crackled decals so the right side looks a lot better. I will just say that the driver ran off the road and ran through some bushes that scratched up the left side  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Frank3k

• Excession
  • Global Moderator
    • My new webpage
« Reply #872 on: April 12, 2023, 09:15:40 AM »
Wow - the zebra stripes look good!

Trumpeter makes a 1/35 African Warrior set.

It is Trumpeter, so you have to roll the dice with it. Good weapons? Yes. Human looking humans? Not always; they may look good on the sprues but the proportions can be way off. This set doesn't look great built up:

https://www.reddit.com/r/farcry/comments/xpk5tv/135_far_cry_3_somewhere_on_rook_island_miniatures/

The guy with the RPG looks like an alien's attempt at makiing a human:

A review
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 09:17:45 AM by Frank3k »

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #873 on: April 12, 2023, 09:16:49 AM »
@Ramba - I used to have a Godzilla/Kaiju that looked about the same as yours.  No idea where it wandered off to now but I did manage to scare one of my cats with the thing which was quite entertaining.  :smiley:
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Story

• Nicht mein Zirkus, nicht meine Affen...
« Reply #874 on: April 12, 2023, 05:52:56 PM »

The guy with the RPG looks like an alien's attempt at makiing a human:

You say that like it's not a perfect unintended build consequence, revealing an even bigger plot twist.  ???