Author Topic: 1965 RCAF CUH-3A Sea King  (Read 2691 times)

Offline The Big Gimper

• Any model will look better in RCAF, SEAC or FAA markings
  • Global Moderator
  • Cut. Cut. Cut. Measure. Cut. Cut. Crap. Toss.
    • Photobucket Modeling Album
1965 RCAF CUH-3A Sea King
« on: November 12, 2018, 10:18:37 PM »
This is my next kit on my ongoing theme of RCAF 1960's helos.

1/72 Revell Mk.41 backdated to a 1960s configuration. Removed or do not install aerials, sensor probes etc.  Pain in the a** to build but easy to paint. But somehow I fogged up the canopy so need to wet sand with super fine grit sanding pads (6,000->12,000 grit)

Shown with baby brother Huey to help visualize the paint scheme. Will be easier to paint and decal.

IMG_7648 by Big Gimper, on Flickr

IMG_7649
by Big Gimper, on Flickr

IMG_7651
by Big Gimper, on Flickr
Work in progress ::

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

User and abuser of Bothans...

Offline KiwiZac

• The Modeller Formerly Known As K5054NZ
Re: 1965 RCAF CUH-3A Sea King
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 11:55:15 PM »
That scheme will really pop on the Sea King! I like where this is going - and backdating is a fun touch too. I'm excited to see your next updates!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 05:09:34 AM »
Mr Gimper you truly have an artist's eye for paint schemes!

This one has every appearance of finishing up a real stunner.

Brian da Basher

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
Re: 1965 RCAF CUH-3A Land King
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 02:19:08 AM »
Here is the RCAF CUH-3A Land King   

In 1960, the RCAF got wind of the RCN’s plan to purchase some Sea King helicopters.   They figured (over beer) that the Sea King could fill an important gap in the RCAF’s yet to be revealed Helicopter White paper:

Why helicopters are cool and why the RCAF needs more!

Okay, not a great title but to be honest it was rushed. But the RCAF was not sure the government would buy into it.

So in case it failed (and it did) they had a plan “B” to fill the “need” but alas they did but not have the cash.  So a bunch of light blue suits jumped in a car and drove down the road from CFB Greenwood to HMCS Shearwater to have a chat with the guys in the dark blue suits.

They met up in the Senior Officers mess and it was there the RCAF pleaded their case that they really really really wanted some Sea Kings but they were short a few millions dollars in the budget.  So could RCN spot us a few new helo’s and we will pay you back. You can always trust a pilot to keep his word. Right?  ;)

After a nice lobster dinner and after a few rounds of navy rum there was a gentlemen’s agreement that the RCN would purchase some extra Sea Kings for the RCAF via the upcoming order BUT the RCAF would be on the line for a yet to be determined RCN aviation purchase. No problem said the RCAF so they signed an IOU on a lobster bib.

So here we have the RCAF CUH-3A Land King. And the IOU story is to be continued …

This is the Revell MK 41 kit back dated to the 1960s. I removed or did not install all the later bumps and other ASW thingies. 

Paints are Model Master and Humbrol. Finshed with Gloss cote.  Decals are from the Belcher Bits H-21 and other sources.  The Lightning Bolt is nice but working with the curvature, windows, sponson struts  and doors made it real challenge. So I put above all the windows etc.  I wanted to put the Royal Canadian Air Force closer to the center but again, windows, sponson struts  and doors forced to me to put in on the  tail boom.

The canopy masking was challenge but thanks to a tip from the Mundster, I used a combination of painted masking tape and some very thin blue decals.
Ignore the angle of the main rotor. I broke the shaft so it’s taped on for the photos. And I did not break the pitot tubes. That's a first.

On to the beauty shots.

RCAF-CUH-3A-04
by Big Gimper, on Flickr

RCAF-CUH-3A-01
by Big Gimper, on Flickr

RCAF-CUH-3A-06
by Big Gimper, on Flickr

RCAF-CUH-3A-03
by Big Gimper, on Flickr

And a family photo:

RCAF-CUH-3A-02
by Big Gimper, on Flickr
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 02:47:34 AM by The Big Gimper »

I am giving up listing them. They all end up on the shelf of procrastination anyways.

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 02:28:05 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 03:13:28 AM »
Took it up another notch with these two helo builds.  Masterpiece from tail rotor to difficult "Z" decal and the rest.  :-*  :-*
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 04:30:26 AM by finsrin »

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 03:26:57 AM »
That's very nice work! And I do mean work with the cheat line and "Z"! You're putting together a great collection.

Offline kitnut617

• Measures the actual aircraft before modelling it...we have the photographic evidence.
  • Holding Pattern
  • I'd rather be dirtbike riding...
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 04:15:11 AM »
Well done Carl, love the pair of them   :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 06:42:36 AM »
Nice looking helo, stunning paint job !

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 06:57:43 AM »
Beautifully stunning build.

Offline Brian da Basher

• He has an unnatural attraction to Spats...and a growing fascination with airships!
  • Hulk smash, Brian bash
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 08:35:29 AM »
That's a looker and a half there, Mr Gimper!

Very well done, very well done indeed!

Brian da Basher

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 02:49:57 AM »
Kind of timely:

The Sea King Helicopter Retires After 55 Years of Service
(Source: Royal Canadian Navy; issued Dec 12, 2018)

Heartfelt tributes flowed freely during the official Sea King helicopter retirement parade December 1, 2018, when the military community bade farewell to the longest serving aircraft in the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF).

Inside the hangar at 443 Maritime Helicopter Squadron at Pat Bay, B.C., more than 500 people gathered to witness the historic send-off.

“To our magnificent Sea King, though you were an inanimate object, you were a living presence in the lives of so many of us in the navy and air force; we will certainly miss you,” said Lieutenant-General Al Meinzinger, Commander of the RCAF, to the crowd.

“I see all of the people here today who have worked on the Sea King, many of whom spent 20, 30 or more years around the aircraft. It really was the catalyst for the mission, and for the friendships and bonds we established within the air force and with our navy teammates.”

When Rear-Admiral Art McDonald, Deputy Commander of the Royal Canadian Navy, stepped to the podium, he also noted the partnership between the two environments that was forged by the aircraft and its role with navy warships. The former Commander of Maritime Forces Pacific said that over the years, from the Cold War era to present-day operations, the Sea King served an integral part in naval deployments.

“Today is the day we retire a stalwart workhorse and celebrate how it provided the foundation for continued naval aviation success in a navy-air force industry partnership,” said RAdm McDonald. “The Sea King was more than just a helicopter; since its introduction in the 1960s it fundamentally changed the nature of naval operations worldwide.”

When the Sea King was procured in 1963 its intended use was for naval anti-submarine warfare. But as the flight hours mounted it proved its versatility and reliability for countless other tasks and missions. These included anti-surface warfare, maritime engagement and narcotics interdiction operations, counter-terrorism and anti-piracy, humanitarian assistance, search and rescue, and domestic disaster relief operations.

At the conclusion of the parade everyone stepped outside the hangar’s giant bay doors to watch the ceremonial flypast of three Sea Kings. Under grey skies and a light drizzle, many of those in attendance grabbed their cell phones and pointed their devices skywards as the helicopters made two passes above the hangar before returning to the tarmac.

The last of the Sea Kings are scheduled to perform one final flight over the skies of Victoria in an exercise with other RCAF aircraft on December 17. It will remain on standby as the clock winds down to New Year’s Eve, when the newest generation of RCAF helicopters, the CH-148 Cyclone, becomes the main ship-borne maritime helicopter.

LGen Meinzinger said approximately 10 Sea Kings will find their way into museums or be used for monuments, while the remainder will be disposed of under normal disposal plans for Crown assets.

When the military’s longest-serving helicopter officially retires at the end of this month, it will conclude 55 years of service and approximately 550,000 hours of flying time, the equivalent to the shortest distance between the earth and Mars, or 7,200 trips around the globe.

-ends-
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline The Big Gimper

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 06:07:17 AM »
Thank you for the compliments and yes timing is everything.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 03:59:06 PM »
nice!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 05:24:16 PM »
 :smiley:
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."