Author Topic: FIAT G.12T Tri-Engine Transport  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
FIAT G.12T Tri-Engine Transport
« on: June 30, 2019, 08:03:50 AM »
The all-metal FIAT G.12 designed by Giuseppe Gabrielli (1903-1987) powered by three 800hp-plus FIAT A.74 R.C.42 supercharged 14-cylinder radial engines first flew on October 15, 1940 as an civilian airliner for Avio Linee Italiane though was immediately adopted by the Regia Aeronautica Italiana (RAI) as a tactical passenger & cargo transport aircraft. Briefly flown post WWII by Alitalia airlines it was the bases of the 1,065hp Pratt & Whitney Twin Wasp R-1830-S1C3-G 14-cylinder radial engine-powered G.212 civilian & military passenger & cargo transport.  One hundred-four G.12s in eleven versions were built 1941-1944 most being G.12T (Transporti) in RAI, Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana, Aviazione Cobelligerante Italiana, Deutsche Luftwaffe, Hungarian Magyar Királyi Honvéd Légierő service well as with the post WWII Aeronautica Militare Italiana.

The 2018-vintage 1/72 scale SEM Model 72020 FIAT G.12T resin kit based on the Aerodim 72-03 kit are the only ones available in any scale of the FIAT G.12. Adequately detailed with elevator, tailfin & rudder options for various model build versions the resin castings are quite heavy particularly the massive one-piece main wings, through-fuselage reinforcement with quarter-inch plastic dowels being necessary to securely anchor them to the fuselage; no parts for navigation lights & pitot tubes were provided these I'd fabricated.  The fuselage castings were inwardly warped to where a massive amount of under fuselage puttying/filing/sanding work was necessary complicated by there being a structural ridge element along most of the fuselage it being better reproduced with a separately molded glued-on kit part. Fuselage & main wing engine nose mounting areas were poorly molded necessitating having to guess where to mount the FIAT A.74 engine parts on them relative to the engine cowlings. Main landing gear & tires required significant pre-assembly planning insofar as making sure they’d not break apart from the weight of the model, through-wheel to landing gear assembly weight-bearing bars are recommended though luckily was able to get by without them – for now.

The SEM Model comes with decal options for RAI (two), Hungarian & Avio Linee Italiane versions I choosing to build MM.60673 “606-2” 606 Squadriglia, 148 Gruppo Transporto Ciampino, Italy c. February-March 1942 in FIAT-style Schema C1A/C1B Mimetico mottles with Humbrol, Testors & Model Master enamel paints, not having access to photos of this aircraft employed “artistic license” with respect to the mottle pattern.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 09:38:56 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline FAAMAN

• 'bin building for years ....... and it feels it!
  • Always thought of himself as a 'straight' modeller
Re: FIAT G.12T Tri-Engine Transport
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 09:03:26 AM »
Jus' WOW  :P :P
Superbly different, your camo is brilliant  8) 8) 8) 8) :P :P :P :P
"Resistance is useless, prepare to be assembled!"

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 05:19:50 PM »
Another stunning build, RiK! :smiley:

I just can't get over that camo, though! 8)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline GTX_Admin

• Evil Administrator bent on taking over the Universe!
  • Administrator - Yep, I'm the one to blame for this place.
  • Whiffing Demi-God!
    • Beyond the Sprues
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 02:08:43 AM »
 :smiley:
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it.

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 02:33:34 PM »
Wow that camouflage must have taken you a few nights !

Great build

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline elmayerle

• Its about time there was an Avatar shown here...
  • Über Engineer...at least that is what he tells us.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 10:05:06 AM »
Great build and utterly gorgeous paint job; you obviously took a lot of careful steps, with great pain, with that one.

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 10:13:36 AM »
Great build and utterly gorgeous paint job; you obviously took a lot of careful steps, with great pain, with that one.

As said above.  :smiley:

Offline b29r

• Newly Joined - Welcome me!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 10:06:28 PM »
This truly redefines the term camouflage.  Fabulous build!

Best regards,
Kem

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Incorrect Model Base Color...
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 10:26:06 AM »
The model base color am told is incorrect, painted it Giallo Mimetico 3: instead of Giallo Mimetico 1: this based upon 1977 research published by Vitocharts for 1916-1945 era Italian military aircraft coloration. When it was published I wasn't scale modeling, didn't know about the colors till 1982, didn't know till after I'd built my G.12T model Vitocharts also included paint finish research regarding specific Italian aircraft including the G.12T. Fortunately I was able to copy images of the Vidochart off the Internet, no more errors of ignorance in the future - hopefully! The Mimetico pattern likewise is incorrect; model was built for my enjoyment, ain't gonna be in any IPMS-USA contests that's for sure!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:27:47 AM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
Re: Incorrect Model Base Color...
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 10:32:46 AM »
The model base color am told is incorrect, painted it Giallo Mimetico 3: instead of Giallo Mimetico 1: this based upon 1977 research published by Vitocharts for 1916-1945 era Italian military aircraft coloration. When it was published I wasn't scale modeling, didn't know about the colors till 1982, didn't know till after I'd built my G.12T model Vitocharts also included paint finish research regarding specific Italian aircraft including the G.12T. Fortunately I was able to copy images of the Vidochart off the Internet, no more errors of ignorance in the future - hopefully! The Mimetico pattern likewise is incorrect; model was built for my enjoyment, ain't gonna be in any IPMS-USA contests that's for sure!

WHAT IF ... ? , bro! :smiley: ;)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Yes...On THIS Website...
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 10:38:05 AM »
WHAT IF ... ? , bro! :smiley: ;)
...but not on STORMO Magazine. This was laziness on my part, already knew Giallo Mimetico 1 was sprayed on G.12Ts, color photos of one aircraft so sprayed up on Internet, didn't like the schema either, wanna be different though was an expensive decision, won't be building another such kit again - ever.

Offline Dr. YoKai

• Was in High School when mastadons roamed the plains...
  • A notorious curmudgeon who is partial to...hemp!
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 06:18:48 AM »
Accuracy issues aside, its a beautiful build - and from the build story, clearly a study in persistance! ;)

Offline Robomog

• ...had a very bad experience with [an] orange...
  • Would you buy a used kit from this man?
Re: Incorrect Model Base Color...
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 10:34:00 PM »

I don't care....   It looks right, so it IS right.    :smiley:

as OW said " WHAT IF ... ? , bro!"  so let everyone else deal with it  ;D ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<
Mostly Harmless...............

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Have Moved On Here...
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 10:58:59 PM »
I don't care....   It looks right, so it IS right.    :smiley: as OW said " WHAT IF ... ? , bro!"  so let everyone else deal with it  ;D ;D

Mog
>^-.-^<
...am OK with how I'd painted the model, still wished I'd used Giallo Mimetico 1 base color. The predominately small mottle Schema C1A I knew was likely incorrect though went ahead with painting it as though it would made for a more interesting build. This is one of the early production G.12Ts in 1943 possibly an ex-Avio Linee Italiane civil airliner in large mottle Schema C1A:

Note the rudder colors, likely a depot repaint replacement, note also the many light color patched bullet holes, this old bird was been pecked on, lived another day to tell about it!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:04:24 PM by Retired In Kalifornia »

Offline Inactive

• Holding Pattern
Coming Later This Month...
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 03:25:09 AM »
...the "What If" 1/72 scale SUPERMODEL FIAT G.55 Five-Cannon Distruttore di Bombardieri in Luftwaffe-style Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana livery, new discussion thread regarding it will be posted.