Author Topic: M3 Stonewall FSV  (Read 38049 times)

Offline Claymore

• It's all done with smoke and mirrors!
  • Alt Hist AFV guy with a thing for Bradley turrets
Re: M3 Stonewall FSV
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2016, 02:15:12 AM »
M3 Stonewall FSV Update

Here are the latest pics of the Stonewall FSV in its undercoat.  It never ceases to amaze me how a simple spray of paint helps pull everything together.  There's still a little bit of filling to do and a few rivets to add, as highlighted by the undercoat, but getting there...

« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 02:19:02 AM by Claymore »
Pass the razor saw, there is work to be done!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2016, 02:23:35 AM »
Will it be desert camouflage?

Probably not as I want to go with a US 1st Armoured Division circa 1942 look.

Offline LemonJello

• MARPAT Master
  • Member number 100...WooHoo!!!
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2016, 02:26:54 AM »
Just a tour-de-force of skills on display here.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2016, 02:33:04 AM »
Blimey, most kind...  :-[ :)

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2016, 07:54:16 PM »
Coming along beautifully, mate! 8)

Love it how a coat of primer ties everything together. My favourite stage. :)
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Kerick

• Reportedly finished with a stripper...
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2016, 10:09:39 PM »
This is top notch work! Wish I had thought of it!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2016, 03:51:00 AM »
Thanks guys.

Just realised it's all a bit like a WW2 version of this beastie.

http://i.imgur.com/j8slUoP.jpg
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 03:56:31 AM by Claymore »

Offline Buzzbomb

• Low Concentration Span, oft wanders betwixt projects
  • Accurate Scale representations of fictional stuff
    • Club and my stuff site
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2016, 05:52:02 AM »
Thanks guys.

Well now you know where THEY got the idea from, the little know WW2 M3 version... Plagiarists !!!!

Offline Old Wombat

• "We'll see when I've finished whether I'm showing off or simply embarrassing myself."
  • "Define 'interesting'?"
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2016, 08:29:05 AM »
Thanks guys.

Well now you know where THEY got the idea from, the little know WW2 M3 version... Plagiarists !!!!

Cheeky buggers just left out the awesome traverse on the guns to get around breaching Patent legislation! Go get your claymore, Claymore! Bring me my broadsword & my cross of gold, as a talisman! Then we'll go & teach those beasts a lesson they wont soon forget!

;)

(Oops! Typo!)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 05:11:51 PM by Old Wombat »
"This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and, ah, explode."

Offline Claymore

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2016, 03:09:30 PM »
Ha, ha, and I thought I was mad!  ;D

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2016, 03:53:30 PM »
Combination of concept and build itself is super. :)

Offline Claymore

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2016, 06:02:42 PM »
Combination of concept and build itself is super. :)

Thanks mate!

Offline tankmodeler

• Wisely picking parts of the real universe 2 ignore
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2016, 03:30:06 AM »
You may be too far along for this, but please, please, for the love of ghod, replace the 6 spoke wheels with real Sherman wheels (5 spoke) and replace the track with something that resembles a real track without the end connectors in the middle of the track pads?

As for some of the other comments, one could have an armoured box above the sponsons on either side with additional ammo. To increase the crew working area all one needs do is increase the height of the superstructure roof by about a foot and things get much easier serving the guns. This is a fire support vehicle, so height really doesn't matter. One can even then incorporate a rangefinder in an auxiliary turret with a greater field of view as did an SP proposal built on the earlier M2 Medium chassis.

Paul

Offline Claymore

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2016, 06:08:33 AM »
Most of my whiffs tend to be made from my stock pile of existing models and many of these date back many, many years. Whilst this means that, generally, I am working from a fixed resource, it nevertheless means that expenses can be kept to a minimum - something that appeals greatly to my Scottish genes!  As a result of my Calvinistic reticence to parting with my cash, I am more than willing to accept that in the world of Alternative History an AFV which might otherwise have existed with a 5-spoke road wheel now lives with a 6-spoke wheel.  In other words, I have looked through my stash and cannot find any 5-spoke M3/M4 road wheels and I just can't be arsed spending out to replace the Tamiya real life inaccuracy.

Shoot me if you want, but in my AH world the M3 Stonewall FSV had 6-spoke wheels!

The Tamiya vinyl tracks are, to be fair, pretty crappy and might be replaced sometime in the future but right now, they are all I have and will just have to fit the bill. 

As for the rest I am going to keep things just the way they are. I really don't want my model to be the perfect solution to a M3 FSV, indeed half the fun of whiffing is to come up with something that is just as flawed (and therefore realistic) as about every other AFV in history.   ;)

Offline Kerick

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2016, 06:38:47 AM »
With parts making during the war farmed out to all kinds of small companies a crumpled, mutilated, spindled and water stained set of drawings resulted in a shipment of six spoke instead of five spoke wheels. Although perfectly functional, the War Dept didn't want to send these out on regular Shermans. Instead of scrapping perfectly good road wheels they were used on a short run vehicle that was already a collection of odd parts.

Problem solved!

Offline Claymore

« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2016, 06:44:15 AM »
I couldn't have put it better myself!   ;)

Offline Kerick

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2016, 06:52:31 AM »
Wish I could come with an idea for the tracks but no luck. Pretty tough to explain away those.

Offline Claymore

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2016, 07:17:08 AM »
I have no idea why Tamiya would have made such a schoolboy error but at least they are easily enough removed and replaced at a later date.

Offline Volkodav

• Counts rivits with his abacus...
  • Much older now...but procrastinating about it
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2016, 08:54:47 PM »
Most of my whiffs tend to be made from my stock pile of existing models and many of these date back many, many years. Whilst this means that, generally, I am working from a fixed resource, it nevertheless means that expenses can be kept to a minimum - something that appeals greatly to my Scottish genes!  As a result of my Calvinistic reticence to parting with my cash, I am more than willing to accept that in the world of Alternative History an AFV which might otherwise have existed with a 5-spoke road wheel now lives with a 6-spoke wheel.  In other words, I have looked through my stash and cannot find any 5-spoke M3/M4 road wheels and I just can't be arsed spending out to replace the Tamiya real life inaccuracy.

Shoot me if you want, but in my AH world the M3 Stonewall FSV had 6-spoke wheels!

The Tamiya vinyl tracks are, to be fair, pretty crappy and might be replaced sometime in the future but right now, they are all I have and will just have to fit the bill. 

As for the rest I am going to keep things just the way they are. I really don't want my model to be the perfect solution to a M3 FSV, indeed half the fun of whiffing is to come up with something that is just as flawed (and therefore realistic) as about every other AFV in history.   ;)

You do a pretty good silk purse from a pigs ear so no complaints from me, in fact I reckon you do a better job rebirthing old models than I can do with the latest, greatest, state of the arts kits, so please, please, please, keep up the great work!

Offline Kerick

« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2016, 10:24:42 PM »
You could always bury the tracks and wheels in "mud" and call it weathering.....

Offline Claymore

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2016, 05:01:54 AM »
You do a pretty good silk purse from a pigs ear so no complaints from me, in fact I reckon you do a better job rebirthing old models than I can do with the latest, greatest, state of the arts kits, so please, please, please, keep up the great work!

You're most kind. Fear nought, so long as the stash holds out I shall carry on - and then I can always kit-bash my kit-bashes!  ;)

You could always bury the tracks and wheels in "mud" and call it weathering.....

;D Ah there is always an answer!  ;D

Offline Jeffry Fontaine

• Unaffiliated Independent Subversive...and the last person to go for a trip on a Mexicana dH Comet 4
  • Global Moderator
  • His stash is able to be seen from space...
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2016, 05:30:45 AM »
@Claynmore - check your PM in-box ---------- Additional correspondence awaits your review :)
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Offline Claymore

« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2016, 05:54:42 AM »
@Claynmore - check your PM in-box ---------- Additional correspondence awaits your review :)

Message on its way!  :)

Offline finsrin

• The Dr Frankenstein of the modelling world...when not hiding from SBA
  • Finds part glues it on, finds part glues it on....
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2016, 09:10:42 AM »
For me the concept and quality of changes you made is focus of this build.
Tracks-wheels accurate or not, it all looks great to me. :)

Offline Kerick

« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2016, 10:42:57 AM »
Ditto!